How many e-mail addresses?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How many E-mail addresses do you have?

18%
21%
3-5
49%
6-10
8%
More than 10
3%
Don't know
3%
If I tell you I'll have to kill you
No votes
One for each personality
No votes

Total votes: 39

dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How many e-mail addresses?

Post by dwinterfield »

Thinking about the recent sticky about multiple log-ins, I wondered how many active e-mail addresses folks have.

I have four active ones that I can think of - work, home (for most stuff), a hotmail address and a yahoo address. I created the later two when one couldn't get e-mail on line and now they're linked to sites I'm too lazy to adjust. I've probably created 4 or 5 others over the years and have no idea whether they still exist somewhere.

A related issue is too many passwords with too many security rules. I have three passwords at work that I use daily at work. Each has different rules and expires every 60 or 90 days. Of course the security folks insist that every password have a unique combination of upper and lower case, numbers, at least 8 characters, never have been used before, not be a familiar English word or concept and not be written down.

I think I could remember more tunes if I didn't have to remember so many passwords.
Last edited by dwinterfield on Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have two. One came with the ISP, so I only really use one.

P.S. What are England words?
missy

Post by missy »

I have 2 I use - home and work. I suppose there's a hotmail or yahoo one floating around out there, since at one time you couldn't get on a yahoo group unless you signed up for an email address. I've never looked at them again, so I have no idea whether they are even there.

I'm the "owner" for our home account (mine and the kids) however, so I still can get into theirs - and I can create as many as I want (up to 10, I think).

As to the work password stuff - I use the same "word" all year long. I add the number of the month - even months it goes at the end, odd months it goes at the beginning. This changes the letters enough that the software thinks it's a totally "new" password. I have 3 log-ins just to get the computer up and email open, plus several more for specialty programs. We're supposed to be moving to swiping our matrix badges instead - I can't WAIT!!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I had to go and count....it's sixteen! Because I belong to different library groups and other listservs that I post to all of my e-mail accounts are active. It makes for a busy time in the morning.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I don't count work.

I have 4. I used to have more but I've forgotten most of the passwords and they've expired.

1 is for junk. Any site that wants registration. My spam account.

2 is for primitive mailing lists like Cyberharp and harp-L. (they need to enter the 21st century).

3 is for personal aquaintences etc.

4 is for resume's, job hunting, official business etc.
Last edited by Flyingcursor on Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

You shouldn't've changed "England words." I was interested to find out what they were...
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Cranberry wrote:You shouldn't've changed "England words." I was interested to find out what they were...
Cran

Sorry. When I see my typos, I try to fix them, especially when you point them out. Maybe a little too compulsive.

Besides, it will take an England person to disclose the England words. I'm not allowed.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

3 in active use.

One work/Official
One for family
One for everything else, that I use the most.

+ 2 more from college and grad school accounts that are never used anymore.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I have five--

--one from my old dial-up ISP but since I have two domains there, it didn't cost any more to keep it. It's a spam-magnet so I use it most often for sites that demand an e-mail address.

--The two domains are two more addresses, and I try to keep web site-related activity going through those,

--my new DSL isp, to which I've been directing my friends and family,

--my work e-mail.

But I've heard recently of a new site that offers free disposable e-mail addresses-- http://www.sneakemail.com/

It got pretty good reviews and I haven't heard that it's not safe.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I count private mailboxes on message boards as "email" since they serve that function. The answer: Too many

hotmail x2 (i use 1 for work's MSN messenger access, and one for home)
yahoo (i use with their chat service)
eXcite (my semi-permanant never gets spam email that all of my technical stuff is attached to, such as my web hosting)
work
C&F private message box
Gaelic Crossings private message box
Ebay private message box
1 through my iSP (I use this one for talking to friends, mostly)
2 through my web hosting @ tinwhistler.com (webmaster@ and greg@) (for website related mail, obviously)
a gmail one I never use
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Hmmm, I checked 3-5, but after reading other responses, I think it might be more.

1. Big Work (2).
2. Little Work (3).
3. ISP (possibility of several, 2 of which I use, one with my actual name and one not).
3. C&F PMs (1).
4. Another board's PMs (1).
5. Yahoo (2), one of which goes with a completely made-up persona which I use to make inquiries and check out scam-looking things when the recipient would recognize me and not answer "honestly."
6. University alumni email (1), but it forwards to my ISP. (Had it for a year--nobody has ever used it! Thinking back, I realize that in 6 years nobody ever knew me! Sheesh!)
7. One at the Freenet. Haven't used it in a while, though, so it might have disappeared.

Eleven. Nope, thirteen. I forgot one at Little Work and one at the freenet.

Hmm, I just realized that Lambchop doesn't have her own. Must fix!
Last edited by Lambchop on Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have brewerpaul@aol.com, and paul@busmanwhistles.com, which actually delivers to my brewerpaul address.
I am also PBurman@aol.com... back when I first signed up for AOL, I tried to type PBusman and hit <enter> before I realized my typo. That was the initial master name on my account which can never be changed :roll:

Don't bother sending mail to that one: I NEVER look at it!!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I voted , if that is the right term here, one.
Only one E - Mail addy works fine for me.
I did not factor in the PM facility on the three forums I visit regularly.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats