What else are you playing?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fatveg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fatveg »

This board has an understandable predominance of Irish traditional music -- which I personally love, and I am enjoying reading all of the discussions. But, the word 'pure' has never been applied to me, and I am a bit of a musical tart, so what else are you guys playing? Anyone experimenting with C20/21 classical, anybody using the whistle as a chromatic instrument? What other folk/world genres are you into? I'd love to hear what else you are up to.
Fatveg.
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I am very open-minded, too. Besides Irish jigs and reels, I also play Irish hornpipes, and even Irish polkas. People claim to have heard me play O'Carolan tunes, but I deny it outright. :wink:
/Bloomfield
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I do a lot of Scottish tunes, too, as well as bluegrass, a bit of jazz, and occasionally, when the mood hits me just right and there's enough caffiene in my system, rock and roll.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I usually play anything Celtic... Irish, Scottish, Hebrides Islands, Brittany... whatever works on the whistle.

On my other instruments, I like Jazz and Classical.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'm probably weird but lots of Handel works pretty well on whistle.

Anybody else ever play with "classical whistle?"

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I spent 4 months in Ghana, West Africa studying the Ghanaian traditional whistles, the atenteben and odrugya. I also dabble in Indian flute music.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I am quite an omnivore both in food and music (sorry, Fatveg). Strangely, I usually play IrTrad on the guitar instead of the whistle, except for slow airs (I'm a relative whistle newbie). Besides trad, I like to play church praise songs, Christmas carols, and my all-time favorites, classic rock & roll instrumentals (like the Ventures). "Sleepwalk" is an AWESOME tune for the whistle!

A few days ago, I heard a tune on LiveIreland that really blurs the line between trad and classic rock instrumental. It is "The Boatman" by the Furies (Fureys?). Do any of you know where I can get/download a copy of this tune?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-05-29 17:49, BrassBlower wrote:

A few days ago, I heard a tune on LiveIreland that really blurs the line between trad and classic rock instrumental. It is "The Boatman" by the Furies (Fureys?). Do any of you know where I can get/download a copy of this tune?
It's actually called, "The Lonesome Boatman" and was written by Finbar Furey. It was a bit of a party piece for him and one of his most popular tunes. He originally played on an Indian reed low A, which he sat on at some point. This, as legend had it, led Finbar & Bernard Overton to develop the low whistle, when Finbar comissioned the first Overton low whistle to replace his broken whistle. You can get a transcription of the tune on JC's Tunefinder, but it doesn't help much imho. Better to get an A and a recording and learn it that way.
/Bloomfield
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Mostly the blues and old TV show and movie themes tend to creep in along with the Irish traditional tunes I am learning.
Alan
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

I love jazz, especially on the piano. I listen to Ray Charles a lot. I'm really bad at the piano, though. I practiced daily and took lessons for about 5 years but never caught on. Louis Armstrong is another one of my favorites too.
Curiosity is the mother of ruined whistles.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hi Excessive Soylover:

I continue to perform as a classical guitarist at casuals as soloist and with flute player and I am still the head honcho (Performance Director, sounds silly) of a California historical folk music group. We do a variety of tunes from native California tribal, through Rancho period, minstrel, sea chantey and International (French, German, Russian, Italian, Chinese) songs from Gold Rush period mostly. no cowboy cause it came later.

Not lately, but have been deep in Brazilian music, where I accompany myself on fancy-pants chords and sing in Portuguese on bossa nova songs and play choro (Brazilian ragtime) music. I still play the songs especially when the weather warms up 'cause there is nothing like that style of guitar playing when you can do it (Joao Gilberto-style). Great language too for singing.

Musically yours,
the fat meat-eater

Our motto: if it was good enough for the Son of God, I'll eat lamb too.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

In addition to the Irish tunes, - Scottish pipe tunes, hymns, old time mountain tunes and christmas carols.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cowtime on 2002-05-29 22:19 ]</font>
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

I mostly play mandolin with various bluegrass groups. I live in a cultural wasteland where nobody knows how or wants to play traditional Irish music, which is ironic since most of the music they consider to be their "traditional" music actually evolved from trad. Irish.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I attend a weekly group that plays fiddle tunes. We do Irish but also lots of American trad. My folksong group does Canadian, American and British Isles, traditional and contemporary. I play a little whistle on some of those. Learned some swing guitar and Jazz piano last year, but haven't had much time for it this year. But I sing Jazz, kid's songs, Leonard Cohen, folk.... you name it.
If I was a blackbird, I'd whistle and sing...
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

I'm new at this so there isn't much I can play, but I've found quite a few hymns in my Baptist Hymnal that I can manage...hymns I've grown up with. The great thing is, they have a list in the back of the "first lines" of the songs and then <b>the key</b> they are played in! So anything in the key of D is pretty good for me to try!

My favorite? Be Thou My Vision. One of the few I have memorized...mostly!

:smile:

Kim
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"