Non-responsive customer: how long should I wait?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Non-responsive customer: how long should I wait?

Post by brewerpaul »

I have a customer who ordered matching whistles in C and D Cocobolo. As long as I was at it, I started an Eb to match so I could take some webpage pics of a matched set.
On 5/24 I e-mailed her at the same address I've communicated with her in the past telling her the whistles were approaching readiness, that we needed to settle on final choice of metal fittings, and arrange payment (I don't generally ask for a down payment except for really unusual stuff I might not be able to sell otherwise). I got no response at all, so I re-sent the message a week or so later. Still no response. Her e-mail is apparently through her employer judging by the domain name, so I sent it to information@(heremployer).com and got no response. I then did a yahoo people search for this person's name in the city where her employer is based. I found one match so I called that phone number and left a message on the answering machine saying that I was looking for the
"Jane Smith" that ordered these whistles, excusing myself if I had the wrong person, etc. Still no reply.

How long do you think I'm obligated to wait for this person before putting these whistles up for sale? I think I've done due diligence and would like to complete the instruments and find a good home for them.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChrisA »

Just finish them and send them to me. I'll take good care of them. ;)

Seriously, I do think you've done a reasonable job of trying to notify the person. Maybe you should wait another bit until the 24th before choosing your own finishings for the whistles, then you can say you waited a full month from the initial contact. I wouldn't expect anything though, at this point, it'd just be a matter of principle, that 'a full month' seems like a good long wait.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

FWIW-- I just called the company, and they said they had no person by that name employed there.
Got wood?
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

ChrisA wrote:Just finish them and send them to me. I'll take good care of them. ;)

Seriously, I do think you've done a reasonable job of trying to notify the person. Maybe you should wait another bit until the 24th before choosing your own finishings for the whistles, then you can say you waited a full month from the initial contact. I wouldn't expect anything though, at this point, it'd just be a matter of principle, that 'a full month' seems like a good long wait.
I'll agree on that one. A full month is long enough. That way, if she's on vacation you'll still have the possibility of reaching her. I mean, who goes on vacation for a month, right?
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

The other thing to consider is that no money has changed hands. Too bad you don't have a snail mail address you could send her a certified letter. I do think that she's given you an answer just not directly. I'm for selling the whistles as a set.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Whats your gut tell you?

I think that if you have used every method available which you have resources for to contact the person and don't get a response, then you have done all you can do.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

littlejohngael wrote:
ChrisA wrote:Just finish them and send them to me. I'll take good care of them. ;)

I'll agree on that one. A full month is long enough. That way, if she's on vacation you'll still have the possibility of reaching her. I mean, who goes on vacation for a month, right?
Agreed.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

My guess is she was laid off from this company, and either hasn't thought about contacting you, or is embarrassed about contacting you.

I think you've done everything you can. I'd say choose whatever fittings you think look best for the whistles and sell them .

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
billw

I don't know about that...

Post by billw »

DaleWisely wrote:
littlejohngael wrote:

Agreed.
Hrm. Well, I've had trouble in the past couple of months with my web hosting company. As a result of this, I've lost orders and emails that were sent to me, and have even had a PayPal complaint filed (which has since been settled amicably). I guess with all that, I've the tendency to cut some extra slack. I have a target of 90 days to get whistles to my customers once they've paid for them. I think 60 days isn't an unreasonable length of time to wait for a customer to get back to you.

That said, I also think that a policy of pay-me-now or at least a deposit on your whistles, which are a good deal more difficult to make than mine, would be a reasonable way to avoid the problem in the future. We tend to not ignore things in which we already have a vested interest. It's how I work my "on approval" process, and so far, nobody has failed to pay up or send back, depending. (It gives me a snail-mail addy, too!) :)

Just my 2p
Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I tend to agree with Redwolf. If you've tried for 3 weeks or so, you've really done all you can. If the person hasn't paid a deposit, they're really not out anything but time, and it certainly appears that they're in no hurry to get in touch with you :)

If they turn up in the future and decide they want a whistle, there's no reason why they can't order another one then.

Then again, if you don't need the money, ChrisA's suggestion of waiting a full month does feel like the right thing to do.
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

Well, if she is a teacher or does/did seasonal work, she might be away for much longer than a month -- I have been away from home for entire summers before. But I make sure that people I do business with have contact information, as well, and I don't use a work account for personal business. (how virtuous of me :twisted: )I think for most people, a month would be plenty of notice.

Actually, the only situation that I can think of where this might *not* be plenty of notice is if all three of the following are true:
* There was a long wait for the instrument.
* The instrument took significantly more or less time than was initially discussed, making the completion date a bit of a surprise.
* You have not been in contact with the customer with updates.

It sounds as though you have been in contact with her through the production process, so it seems to me that this should not be an issue.

FWIW, it sounds to me like a month should be fine. Would you have any regrets if you sold the whistles today and she contacted you out of blue tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Would you feel more comfortable about it if you kept documentation of all the attempts to contact this person, just in case? You have even tried to get hold of her in this forum, I know, so we all know your are begin diligent about this.

:sniffle:
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Update: I called the company and they said they have no such person, and have no idea how she was using their domain name for e-mail. I sent her one more e-mail saying that it was OK if she didn't want the whistles, just let me know. If she does want them but is short of $$, that's OK, we can work together, etc. I will wait the full month, then finish up the set to my personal preferences.
Got wood?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

brewerpaul wrote:Update: I called the company and they said they have no such person, and have no idea how she was using their domain name for e-mail. I sent her one more e-mail saying that it was OK if she didn't want the whistles, just let me know. If she does want them but is short of $$, that's OK, we can work together, etc. I will wait the full month, then finish up the set to my personal preferences.
As a sometime whistle buyer, that sounds quite reasonable to me.

John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
scotta

Post by scotta »

sell 'em
Scott
slowair

Post by slowair »

Sell them, you can always make more.