oiling

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

pbar03 wrote:Matt_Paris wrote:
Here (in France) supermarkets don't have a "health section". Pharmacists are strongly protected by the law against supermarkets.

So the only way to find almond oil is in a pharmacy... Sometimes in vegeterian food stores too, but this one is not "pharmaceutical"

Matt, here in France, I buy my almond oil from hypermarkets (skin care section) at a very affordable price (about 4 euro/5 US dollars for 100ml if my memory doesn't fail me). One brand (Mercurochrome) comes with vitamin E, another (Vendome) is 100% pure.
I have more problems finding silicon grease for the tenons. Any tips?

Pierre
Hi Pierre, (I love speaking english to french people)

Actually I play a lot (really a lot) of traditionnal woodwinds. And I don't use almond oil only for instruments. So I buy it in 1l bottles, thanks to a pharmacist friend, for something like 15 euros :D I don't have to go to french pharmacies... And I don't drive, so I can't go to hypermarkets easily from Paris.

For the tenons, I always used sax (or clarinet) cork grease. It's more and more expensive, but it works well... I don't think it's silicon, though.

Where are you in France? :)
Erica
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Erica »

CB recommends either raw linseed or almond with the water impurities decanted...I am leaning towards raw linseed (I'm pretty sure I can smell it on my flute) but cannot find it anywhere....I make natural herbal products, so I'm pretty familiar with almond oil (and it's tendency to go rancid...blech.)

If you use raw linseed, where do you find it? I went to our local corporate art/craft places and they don't have it.

Erica
Erica

Post by Erica »

So, since some of you are using walnut and other oils, is it OK to use any kind of raw, unrefined oil? I actually buy unrefined, cold pressed olive oil by the 5 gallons. Would that work?

Erica
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Both cold-pressed linseed oil and boiled linseed oil polymerize; the boiled version does it much faster than the cold-pressed version.

If you don't particularly like the smell of linseed oil, there are also commercial bore oils which behave similarly but do not have the slight color and smell of linseed oil.

--James
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Finding unrefined raw linseed oil has become a bit of an issue... I think that may be why Casey started recommending almond.

Olive is a bit iffy.

If an oil goes rancid over time adding vitamin E to it before using it should help.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Erica,

You can get the correct linseed oil, sold as "refined linseed oil" by mail order from www.danielsmith.com in Seattle. This is a purified raw oil which is what I use for all of my flutes. I do not recommend almond oils, even with vitamin E added as these go rancid to varying degrees. Or scented oils (I am allergic to some scents such as patchouli). Linseed oil does not need vitamin E added to it. Commercial bore oils are also fine to use - go to a regular music store for this.

I recommend oiling after every 5-10 hours of playing, gradually less with time. This seems to be adequate. I see little difference between flutes that are oiled on this regimen or hardly at all.

NEVER use boiled linseed oil of the paint store variety. It has all sorts of driers added, some of them toxic. Leaving the oily rags around is begging for a fire. I used this for oiling the timber framing in my ghouse, and once almost burned the house down after a lunch break! In 25 years, I have never had oily rags with the raw linseed oil even heat up.

Back to the salt mines, er, I mean, my lathe....

Casey
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Almond oil (with vitamin E so it doesn't go rancid on you!), cold pressed linseed oil, and pure tung oil are the only oils that I know of that do the hardening thing. Olive oil, walnut oil, etc, etc., don't. 'boiled' linseed oil and tung oil 'finishes' are full of heavy metals and very, very bad. Linseed oil seems preferred over tung oil for some reason; both probably need to be ordered on the internet. So, because of the hardening, these are the only oils I know of that condition your flute over time.

Any kind of oil will create a moisture barrier and smooth the inside of your bore. So, you could probably use most any oil - walnut is popular - for some of the effects the oil provides.

Enough people have allergies to peanuts that peanut oil would probably be a bad idea, especially if you ever wanted to resell the flute.

Oh, well, certain oils should really be avoided. Clove oil, peppermint oil, jalepeno seed oil...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Any drying oil has the potential to be a fire hazard.

For safety, as well as for economy, I recommend keeping your oil-impregnated swab or cloth first in a ziplock bag (with the air pressed out), then store the bag in an airtight metal tin with the lid securely in place.

This will help prevent the danger of a spontaneous fire; it will also make your oil last much longer. This is not a small concern as good quality bore oil or cold-pressed linseed oil can quickly get expensive.

By the way, if you're having trouble finding cold-pressed linseed oil, try an art supply store; they will usually have it. Health-food stores are another good bet.

--James
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

(I really have to do something about that avatar. Casey)
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Now that you mention it, I personally have been mildly intrigued by that avatar. Not to the point of keeping me up nights or anything, but .... ?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Thanks! I found some bore oil and will use that until I can order some raw linseed. Somehow, all the art supply stores and health food stores don't carry it here....i've been on the phone for a good while now :roll:
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

peeplj wrote:
By the way, if you're having trouble finding cold-pressed linseed oil, try an art supply store; they will usually have it. Health-food stores are another good bet.
In healthfood stores it is called "flaxseed oil" and is used as a dietary supplement to provide Omega 3 fatty acids. Flax and lin are one and the same plant.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks, Brad. I'd been wondering that very thing.
And if that's the case, you may also be able to get flaxseed oil from your local tack shop or horse-supply store. People pour it on their horses' feed to, among other things, fatten them up and improve their coats. And if you really want to be a purist the feed store will sell you the seed and you can press your own oil (as if we all don't have better things to do).

Alas, there's no need for flaxseed on my farm. :-(
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

peeplj wrote:Both cold-pressed linseed oil and boiled linseed oil polymerize; the boiled version does it much faster than the cold-pressed version.
AH -- thanks for that explanation!
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Flax is a beautiful plant: lovely blue flowers. I used to grow it in my garden.

Hey, and while we're on the topic of oiling, this has been stated elsewhere but it's worth saying again because it's so important:

If you have a cocus flute, or a flute with a cocus headjoint, be warned that you may have an allergic reaction to your flute after oiling the headjoint! Oiling appears to bring out cocus's natural oils that may lead to a severe and in some cases life-threatening allergic reaction in some people. I know of several people who bought cocus flutes and never had trouble with them until they oiled them (one had to go to the emergency room after that).