Polishing Aluminum

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Willie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Polishing Aluminum

Post by Whistling Willie »

Just wondering,what do you all use to polish your aluminum whistles?
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

000 or 0000 steel wool works really well.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
walrii

Post by walrii »

In the aircraft business, one never uses steel wool on aluminum due to corrosion. That's probably not a problem on a whistle. Instead of steel wool, you can use the synthetic scrub pads - in the States they go by the name "Scotch Brite" pads and can be found from very course to very fine. Look in both household stores and home improvement or hardware stores. Steel wool and Scotch Brite pads give a brushed finish. If you want a polished finish, there are a number of aluminum polishes available. Some are sold in stores where the Brasso and other polishes are kept or you can check your local airport for aluminum polish. In a pinch, toothpaste makes a good polish for most any soft metal.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Feadin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Feadin »

Today I made some tests using jeweler's rouge. This stuff is amazing, I've got an almost mirror finish on the first try, but it's not very easy to work with, and is pretty messy also... left all the room with grey dust, and is difficult to get rid of the dust spots left on some places of the whistle... but it is worth the extra work if you like having a mirror like finish :)

I'm using a standard drill press with a mounted buff and some jeweler's white paste, will try using black paste, and maybe red too when I've got the time.
Cristian Feldman
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I use a product called "Blue Magic" from Wal-mart in the automotive section. It sells for about $5.00. Unlike the other products I have used, it doesn't leave a black film and its non-toxic.

Its worked very well for me.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Mothers Mag & Aluminium Polish, available in the automotive section or automotive stores. It is made for polishing aluminiun wheels. Just a dab will do ya and it cleans off really well. Use a soft cloth to apply and wipe well with a clean cloth or paper towels. I used to be a metal finisher and appreciate how messy rouge and the wheel can be, I used this instead whenever possible. $4.99 buys a small can that lasts a looooong time. Works great on brass as well.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
DRC

Post by DRC »

I get polishing pads from a local jeweler and they do a good job on both aluminum and brass whistles.

DC
SlipJig Celtic Band
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Thank's for all the suggestions :D
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Why polish it? :-? I just rinse mine with soap and water and dry them out.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
WhistlinBob

polishing

Post by WhistlinBob »

a synthetic chamois cloth and mothers is great also I use a
lead/copper removal cloth I picked up at the local gunsmith
shop it works on all unfinished metals for a super fine polish
a one anda two anda three. I would like you to meet my whistle instructer Charles.

[A bad day of Whistlin is better than
any day at work!!!]