ANDROMEDA - HARPER’S PROP TIN WHISTLE

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

ANDROMEDA - HARPER’S PROP TIN WHISTLE

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Just scanning eBay and found a Harper's Soprano D if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 97313&rd=1
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I watched one of the episodes that had a whistle similar to that in it and I thought at the time it was a Clark Sweetone.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Mark:

If you look closely I think the whistle has been modified. I don't know if Harper Whistle come with such mouth pieces, but I could be wrong.
Keith

MarkB

Post by MarkB »

You're right but I still smell a Sweetone in there or they modified it enough not to endorse the whistle or pay for it use.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

It's not a Harper brand whistle. According to the ebay listing, Harper is the name of a character on the show who plays the whistle. It looks like a Sweetone.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Ah, its always in the fine print...I missed that.. I didn't think that Harper's had a plastic mouth piece, but since I have never played or seen one up close, I wasn't certain.
Keith

khl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I suppose someone could attach a celebrity nostalgia to this, but 100+ dollars is too much for a Sweetone, no matter who's tweaked it.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

looks exactly like the green "Celtic" sweetone I got from Unseen122
Last edited by Wanderer on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I was about to say that it looks exactly like my old Celtic whistle which I traded to Wanderer, but you beat me to it.
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

I saw these for sale in a music shop the other day....

£3.95, I think they were.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Hey, I've got one of those! Does anybody want to pay me $100 for it?
Entropy
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wanderer wrote:looks exactly like the green "Celtic" sweetone I got from Unseen122
My Celtic SweeTone was my first whistle. I still have it. It looks exactly like the Andromeda
model they're selling, down to the gold Trinity knot stamped on it. I don't think they modified it at all.
I can't beleive someone will pay $100 for a $10 whistle, regardless of its celebrity status...

P.S., what is up with Gene Roddenberry characters playing tin whistles? Wouldn't people who have
conquered space develop more complicated instruments? Though, I wouldn't want to play GHB on the
confines of a spaceship, now that I think on it...
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

fearfaoin wrote: My Celtic SweeTone was my first whistle. I still have it. It looks exactly like the Andromeda
model they're selling, down to the gold Trinity knot stamped on it. I don't think they modified it at all.
I can't beleive someone will pay $100 for a $10 whistle, regardless of its celebrity status...
I agree..There's been many times I wished that i could somehow "leave a comment" on ebay auctions to help warn people away from dubious auctions.
fearfaoin wrote: P.S., what is up with Gene Roddenberry characters playing tin whistles?
:lol: I don't know, but I think it's cool. Actually, I'm always glad to see whistles on tv or in movies. I was playing back before "Titanic" and maybe just a tad before Riverdance, so I was able to see how big of an impact those movies had on whistling and irish music around these parts. I know a lot of people who roll their eyes at the folks that run out and buy an instrument to be "just like that Spillane guy". But if only one out of a thousand of those folks develop a real love of the music, and some actual skill, I think it's a good thing.

Besides, that's kind of how I started--saw someone playing one, had no idea what it was or what kind of music it really was, and went of looking for one half-cocked. Luckily, I didn't get hoodwinked into spending $100 on my first $12.00 whistle ;)

(though in the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that my first "whistle" was a recorder, because the woman I was dating at the time didn't know better)
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

The fan fiction series "Hidden Frontier" actually did a trek episode where they back in time to when the Titanic was sinking and offloaded some of the victims to take them to the future.

Maybe the music instrument budget on these Roddenberry series has just enough to handle tinwhistles.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D