Advice Wanted!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
scottie
antispam: No

Advice Wanted!

Post by scottie »

Hello,
I am wondering about flutes that are listed keyless and those with keys. Can anyone tell me if one is easier or more versatile to play etc. Why would someone want a keyed flute instead of a keyless flute? I am new at the Irish whistle and am thinking about picking up a flute and would appreciate any advice. I have seen some nice wooden flutes and since I live in a desert atmosphere I think some other material might be better suited for my location. The main issue is Keyed or Keyless....which would you consider the best and why?
Thanks..Scottie
:)
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

hi scottie,

-a keyed wooden flute is about 3 times more expensive than a keyless.
-most Irish Trad music is in D, no need for keys there.
-a keyed flute is much harder to play.

the cheapest good wooden flutes go for 250$, that's a Casey Burns now.
if you you're looking for even cheaper, go for a Doug Tipple pvc.
there's the polymer M&E, wich is better.
i wouldn't go for anything more expensive yet.

good luck!
Wormdiet

Re: Advice Wanted!

Post by Wormdiet »

scottie wrote:Hello,
I am wondering about flutes that are listed keyless and those with keys. Can anyone tell me if one is easier or more versatile to play etc. Why would someone want a keyed flute instead of a keyless flute? I am new at the Irish whistle and am thinking about picking up a flute and would appreciate any advice. I have seen some nice wooden flutes and since I live in a desert atmosphere I think some other material might be better suited for my location. The main issue is Keyed or Keyless....which would you consider the best and why?
Thanks..Scottie
:)
I just got back from a four hour session.
Out of all the tunes played this afternoon, TWO (maybe three!) were unplayable without keys.

D@mn fiddlers.

:D
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Howdy and welcome to the board.

I'd add a hearty amen to what's been said. Start with a keyless flute. If you want something keyed later chances are you'll want to upgrade to a costlier flute as well. Some makers can add keys later. M&E, Seery, Healy and Burns come to mind but anyone who does post-mounted keys can do it later. If you want to spend less than $400, I would start with an M&E or Burns. They are great bang for the buck. If you have a little more dough the field is wide open.

I have a keyed flute and scarcely ever use the keys.

Have fun,

Doc

Disclaimer: Doc Jones sells some of the flutes mentioned above so he shouldn't really be saying nice things about them. This message should not be used as a flotation device.
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Doc Jones wrote:Disclaimer: Doc Jones sells some of the flutes mentioned above so he shouldn't really be saying nice things about them. This message should not be used as a flotation device.
But, you know, you're not selling some of them and you're still saying nice things about them, and you're not selling them for mercenary reasons, but as a public service. Which makes all the difference! :wink:
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'd suggest finding people who have both types and playing them, to see which you like more then deciding which (if either) to get.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Cranberry wrote:I'd suggest finding people who have both types and playing them, to see which you like more then deciding which (if either) to get.
Scottie doesn't play flute, and is "new at the Irish whistle". That's why he/she is asking which way to go from the start, keyed or keyless. So playing both types to see which one he/she "likes more" is a good idea but practically impossible.

Scottie, keyed flutes allow you to play chromatically (depending on the number of keys fitted), ie in any key. But since (as Lixnaw has pointed out) most folk and trad music is in one or two sharps, a keyless D flute is all you need for the thousands of tunes in this genre.

If you're only interested in playing Irish traditional or folk tunes at the moment, then go for a keyless. Flute is a long haul, it'll take time to learn how to play it (unlike a whistle, which can make a satisfying noise throughout its range in next to no time).

By the time you've got the tone you want and can play competently, you'll have a better idea of whether or not you'd like to then get a keyed flute and branch out (chromatically speaking). imho.

Hope this helps.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Henke

Post by Henke »

If you live in a desert a keyless polymer is probably the way to start. If you get a wooden flute, make sure to get an airtight case with humidifier and oil it regularly, it would probably be all right if you did that. I agree that keyless is the way to start, but I'd have to dissagree with lixnaw that a keyed flute is harder to play, you could still play it as a keyless. It's just a cost issue and the fact that you don't need the keys for most trad tunes. If you're willing to part with all that money however I can see no reason not to get a keyed flute, except perhaps a longer wait from some makers, a keyed flute would definately give you more freedom in the music you could create, but you wouldn't need them initially.
Jack

Post by Jack »

GaryKelly wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I'd suggest finding people who have both types and playing them, to see which you like more then deciding which (if either) to get.
Scottie doesn't play flute, and is "new at the Irish whistle". That's why he/she is asking which way to go from the start, keyed or keyless. So playing both types to see which one he/she "likes more" is a good idea but practically impossible.

Scottie, keyed flutes allow you to play chromatically (depending on the number of keys fitted), ie in any key. But since (as Lixnaw has pointed out) most folk and trad music is in one or two sharps, a keyless D flute is all you need for the thousands of tunes in this genre.

If you're only interested in playing Irish traditional or folk tunes at the moment, then go for a keyless. Flute is a long haul, it'll take time to learn how to play it (unlike a whistle, which can make a satisfying noise throughout its range in next to no time).

By the time you've got the tone you want and can play competently, you'll have a better idea of whether or not you'd like to then get a keyed flute and branch out (chromatically speaking). imho.

Hope this helps.
Getting to play different types of flutes certainly can't hurt. :)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Cranberry wrote: Getting to play different types of flutes certainly can't hurt. :)
Which part of "Scottie doesn't play flute" is giving you the trouble? If someone who's never driven before was thinking of upgrading from a bicycle to a car, would you be telling them to get behind the wheel of a Ferrari and a Ford and try them both out on the freeway?

Flutes aren't whistles. Someone who's never touched a flute before might get lucky and get a sound first time. Hardly the basis on which to decide whether to buy a keyless or keyed flute, particularly where the cost of a keyed flute is so high (and keyless doesn't come cheap either).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:Scottie doesn't play flute, and is "new at the Irish whistle". That's why he/she is asking which way to go from the start, keyed or keyless. So playing both types to see which one he/she "likes more" is a good idea but practically impossible.
Getting to play different types of flutes certainly can't hurt.
It wouldn't if Scottie could actually play one. There is this learning-curve thing that is kind of steep with flute, and it makes it mostly impossible to do very much with a flute for some months. Years, maybe.

Trust me on this, Cran. I've had recent personal experience with it. Early on, I couldn't have discriminated between a flute and rolling pin, much less between the sounds of different flutes.

In fact, had I been able to try an actual flute, I'm certain that I would have given up instantly. The horror of it would have been too much.

I think the way for anybody to go is with a Tipple or a good bamboo, and after they have a clue or two and have had a chance to think about it, to get an intermediate flute.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:I think the way for anybody to go is with a Tipple or a good bamboo, and after they have a clue or two and have had a chance to think about it, to get an intermediate flute.
Yep!

Something with a good embouchure, in tune with itself and under $100.
Learn to play flute first.

The initial question was "Keyed or Keyless"...
The initial problem, with learning flute, is whether the learner has the persistence to develop a decent embouchure. If that works out you may know enough to make a decision on what to type flute to try next. ...and then you get to the question of Keyed or Keyless.

desert atmosphere - Tipple.
Tipples also bounce better when you drop them!

Denny
scottie

Thanks for the Replies!

Post by scottie »

I want to thank all of you for your advice and opinions. It is very helpful. I do not think I would have much difficulty with the embouchure since I used to play around a little with a basic concert type flute about twenty years ago. I was really shocked to see the prices on some of the irish flutes I viewed ($1295.00) WOW! I like the $100 versions first. I think one of those would work just fine. Does Doug Tipple have a web site? I was looking for some inexpensive flutes but have not found a site that shows just irish type flutes in the low to high price range. Any direction would be appreciated.
Thanks...Frank (scottie)
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Here's a link for Brad Hurley's page: http://www.firescribble.net/flute/makers.html

It doesn't have Doug Tipple on there, but you can find his flutes on eBay by searching for Tipple.

Eric
Denny

Post by Denny »