Hamilton on eBay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Chang He wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:That definatley makes one wonder.
I asked the seller that question and he said that though he can't add any more pictures (apparently eBay won't let him)

Snce When will eBay not allow you more pictures? :really:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

Doc Jones wrote:
Chang He wrote:
I asked the seller that question and he said that though he can't add any more pictures (apparently eBay won't let him)

Doc
Excellent question, and given this guy's history, and the fact that he didn't allow my question to be posted underneath the item, I'd be pretty sceptical of the quality of that embouchure. If I had the money, I'd probably look at, say, the Irish Flute Store. :wink:
A voice in the dark imploring,
A sweet flute play’d in the light
-Arthur Edward Waite
mkchen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mkchen »

Chang He wrote:
I asked the seller that question and he said that though he can't add any more pictures (apparently eBay won't let him) he is happy to email pictures of the embouchure to anyone who is interested.
...So, I'd recommend getting that picture of the emboucure. Unless maybe the flute doesn't have one. :lol:
I asked him the same question and he did indeed e-mail me two pictures--of the hole at the end of the foot joint! :roll: I e-mailed him back to let him know that's not the end that you blow on. The foot looks pretty good, though.

Ming
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Chang He wrote:
Doc Jones wrote:
Chang He wrote:I asked the seller that question and he said that though he can't add any more pictures (apparently eBay won't let him)

Doc
Excellent question, and given this guy's history, and the fact that he didn't allow my question to be posted underneath the item, I'd be pretty sceptical of the quality of that embouchure. If I had the money, I'd probably look at, say, the Irish Flute Store. :wink:
Alas, the Irish Flute Store doesn't handle Hammys.

Hey Hammy, send me some flutes. :)

I do however have some screamin' flutes that have nice holes on both the foot joint and the headjoint. Not to mention several holes in the middle bit included at no extra charge. :D

Doc

Doc's Website

Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I like the challenge of a good flute without an embouchure hole...it's kind of a zen koan type of thing.

What is the sound of an embouchureless flute playing?

Eric
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

the same as the sound of one clapping hand..

berti
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

mkchen wrote:
Chang He wrote:
I asked the seller that question and he said that though he can't add any more pictures (apparently eBay won't let him) he is happy to email pictures of the embouchure to anyone who is interested.
...So, I'd recommend getting that picture of the emboucure. Unless maybe the flute doesn't have one. :lol:
I asked him the same question and he did indeed e-mail me two pictures--of the hole at the end of the foot joint! :roll: I e-mailed him back to let him know that's not the end that you blow on. The foot looks pretty good, though.

Ming
I got the same thing. :lol:
-Arthur Edward Waite
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Jayhawk wrote:I like the challenge of a good flute without an embouchure hole...it's kind of a zen koan type of thing.

What is the sound of an embouchureless flute playing?

Eric
At last, a flute you can push as hard as you want without disturbing the neighbors. :lol:

Doc

Doc's Website

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Yeah, who sez Hammys are always loud?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
mkchen

Post by mkchen »

Sheesh, I'm starting to wonder about this guy (gal?). So, I told him we don't blow through the hole at the end of the foot joint, and he e-mailed me another picture--of the hole at the opposite end of the flute! No, not the embouchure hole, the hole that is created when one removes the cap at the end of the head joint. So I have a nice photo of the top of the cork! And a nicely turned top of the cork it is too, but I still can't see the embouchure hole. Now, maybe he's just being coy, but I'm seriously starting to wonder if this flute really does have an embouchure. Maybe that's why there was no reserve on this auction.

Ming
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

I got the same response. Probably the same pictures. I sent him a longish question explaining exactly how to find the embouchure hole, and no response. I am beginning to wonder too. I've been fairly clear, and it isn't like you can't look up the word. I'd be very wary of bidding on that flute. I guess on the plus side, the price is only about half what it is worth new.
-Arthur Edward Waite
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Chang He wrote:I guess on the plus side, the price is only about half what it is worth new.
Which could be twice as much as it's actually worth now.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

Haha. Actually, I just got a response, so here's the picture for all interested:
It looks fine to me, and wow is that tempting.
-Arthur Edward Waite
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Is that a crack, repaired crack, or just a surface check in the wood running from the lower right part of the embouchure?
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Looks like open grain to me, but you can't tell for sure from the picture.