Summer Northern Calif Chiff Gathering

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Sounds like fun. I'm a bit down because now I *know* I'm going to have to miss it - I'm not getting back from Japan until Sunday.

(This may be a plus for the rest of you, though :twisted: )

Those of you within a couple of hours drive and haven't attended one of Tony's C & F parties: Go. You'll be glad you did.
Last edited by DCrom on Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

JohnPalmer wrote:Just want to clarify what we should be bringing to eat: A dish to share, meat if you want, and drinks? There will be a BBQ?

Anyone bringing kids?

I'm not planning on bringing the guitar or Mando. I know some people liked to borrow the guitar...just bringing small instruments, and a brand new Overton low D.

JP
I always think a partial cooler with some libation is welcome. Tony said he would have a barbecue going .. I am gonna marinate some beef and skewer it up and also try and find a decent pineapple to mix in with fruit salad.

One thing I have noticed at all of these is that people are so eager to play the whistles that they don't eat as much as at just social type parties. Fortunately, liquids accompany the experience quite nicely so those go down big.

Looking forward to seeing you, even if you don't bring a carload worth of axes!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I was thinking there was no mention of hors douvres, chips, salsa kind of junk food. If people get here much earlier than dinner time (530ish?), we'll be drinking all that booze on empty stomachs. Not good.

Also, bring a sweater. No telling. It may be warm, but it won't be really warm. Evening will definitely cool down after the sun sets and the vile creatures of the night come out to drink our blood. (Did I mention there are vampires? Don't worry, we'll have garlic.)
Tony

Don't forget: noon for the workshop. I actually came up with an outline so I won't jabber incoherently. Then again...
Should I post it here ahead of time?
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

TonyHiggins wrote: the vile creatures of the night come out
No need to worry about me, I am in Idaho! :D

No promises about Limu or Weeks though. :o :boggle:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I'm really bummed! I can't make it after all. My ride fell through and I have to go job hunting. I hope the weather's great for you guys and the the tunes are many. Maybe next time....

Stuck in San Jose,
Mike
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I think we ALL should invade Tony's place.... sort of a Irish Woodstock...got a pond we can skinnydip in, Tony?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Well, Dave, there's poison oak behind the fence you can romp through and we can quickly dig a hole in the yard and fill from the garden hose if you'd like. That'll reduce the severity of the rash, anyway. (Who do you think I am, Max Yasgur?)

Sorry you can't make it, Mike. But, hey. More food and booze for the rest of us.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Yesssss! What a success....Tony, as usual, you rock. That thing where you got Joanie Madden AND the Chieftains to show up...wow, how did you do that? Oh wait...that was that dream I keep having. Anywhoo, a wonderful gathering, my friend, and a pleasure listening to you toodle with the others.
Dave
:party:
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Tony,

That was a very fun gathering last night. My wife especially enjoyed it. The weather was perfect, the playing was phenomenal, and the food was delicious. Again, please tell your mom thanks. And if she's wondering where the white plastic chair came from, we left it. Oh well.

Until next time,
JP
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks again, Tony.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Well, I, too, had a great time, thanks to everyone who showed up. My mom enjoyed you all being over. She like the Danny Boy we did for her. Limuhead was much better behaved this time. I'll get a photo up of him playing his Hawaiian Nose Flute, which is actually played by blowing over the tone hole with one nostril while plugging the other. (There are 4 finger holes, so you play it one-handed, in case it's hard to visualize. I noticed nobody else tried it after Limu demonstrated. hmmm...)

I was going to ask about that chair. My mom asked me if I knew anything about it, which I didn't. Nice chair, by the way.

I was glad for the opportunity for my 2 teenagers to see that I'm not the only one on the planet who likes whistles and Irish music. I think they needed to see that first-hand to really believe it.

Oh yeah, thanks everyone for help with the food preparation. Lance watched over the barbeque situation while I asked people to cut up veggies and organize the table. Thank you, Mary Palmer and KC Jiang for your help. (KC was fascinated, saying, "I've never prepared Western food before." That's what's great about California.)
Tony