Like pics? yes or no.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you enjoy knowing(via photos) what other chiffers look like?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:34 pm

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 41

emmline
antispam: No

Like pics? yes or no.

Post by emmline »

Here's the thing. I've seen pics of one sort or other of quite a few chiffers by now. Enough, at least, to have an idea about Nano, Cran, Dub, Izz, Ad, Bloomie's tutor Gunther, GaryK(when he was younger,) MarMil, Ava, Fly, etc....oh, and of course JessieK.
Personally, I like to see people. But many guard their board identities closely and resemble--as far as we know--dogs, scribbles, silent screen stars, flowers...whatever.
It is, of course, everyone's right to be as private or open as he/she wishes.
So, I'm wondering: In general, do you like having this peek at the real human behind the post, or do you prefer the mystery?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I am the third person from the right!
Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of me that I want as an avatar(I think that my avatar describes me better), and I am not famous enough to have my picture on the web. So I cannot provide a picture (that and the tinfoil hat I wear often brings ridicule).

PS check your PM's
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I, also, am the third from the right in this photo.

Best wishes,
Jerry
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

It's always a nice thing to put a real life face with a post. My present avatar is of course me....but I borrowed the hat for the picture :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I enjoy seeing photos of chiffers... I liken it to listening to a radio program, where one tries to imagine what kind of face goes with the voice you are hearing... and when at long last you finally see the face... you realize that you had it dead wrong. :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: and when at long last you finally see the face... you realize that you had it dead wrong. :D
I often had it wrong too!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

emmline wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote: and when at long last you finally see the face... you realize that you had it dead wrong. :D
I often had it wrong too!
The face that was the furthest from the voice was my mental image of Garrison Keillor:

Now, back when I listened to MPR in the mornings before going to highschool, he had a morning show also called A Prairie Home Companion... a very funny show back in the late 70's... and he also had a long beard and long hair and resembled Tommy Chong... erm, somewhat.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I like to see the faces behind the words, but other types of avatars can also be quite fitting for a poster's personality.

You could always start a thread and ask folks to post a photo of themselves in it. Some would participate, some wouldn't. I predict Bloomfield wouldn't.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

You don't have to look far. Here are some people I've outed:
http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... ing05.html
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I.D.10-t wrote:I am the third person from the right!
Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of me that I want as an avatar(I think that my avatar describes me better), and I am not famous enough to have my picture on the web. So I cannot provide a picture (that and the tinfoil hat I wear often brings ridicule).

PS check your PM's
Cute, but absolutely lose their ability to be socks.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jack

Post by Jack »

It doesn't matter to me.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Very much so.
I believe that it tightens the bonds of community if you have even a vague image in your head of whoever you are bantering with.By way of an example,jsluder,during last nights rollercoaster posting session,dug out a great shot of Missy and I feel that I "know " her a little bit better now that I have that image in my head.
As TonyHiggins posted earlier,he as outed loads of people on C&S and that came in very handy to me I can tell ye :wink:
I also like to know the gender of whoever I'm having the crack with - I know it's not important Cran - but it does come in handy.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
missy

Post by missy »

dub wrote:
"dug out a great shot of Missy and I feel that I "know " her a little bit better now that I have that image in my head"

I'm on the right in my avatar.......... :D

Seriously - if you wanna see what I look like (or if you need to keep rats outta your house, scare small children, etc.) - just look at our site.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I like to have an idea what people look like. There's me in my avatar.
Mike
emmline

Post by emmline »

I love Tony's Chiff-gathering photos. I hope someone will get some good shots at the NE gathering. I also wish I could be there but the U.S. Eastern Seaboard is a deceptively long piece of real estate!
I've always been in favor of a World Chiff Festival...oh, in Geneva or somewhere. Or how about in Annapolis? The irony is that I'm not even particularly warm and fuzzy in person...but I'd sort of already know enough people, sort of, that maybe it would be easier than a convention of unknowns.