options for beginners?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jay-eye
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

smithand wrote:the Daye set is a genuinely playable and affordable introduction to the pipes.
That's great to hear, smithand. The sound is the most important thing after all, and if it sounds like uilleann pipes should and you can play them relatively easily you've got a great deal, I think.

And as we all know (some of us from firsthand experience, although thankfully not me) spending $1000 or more doesn't always guarantee that playable/in tune introduction to piping. :sniffle:
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kintailpipes »

Uilleannpipeworks.com

Very affordable starter set for someone to test the waters and have a great practise set.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Another good option for is Nick Whitmer (www.lightlink.com/nwhitmer). Nick's sets are very well made and can be upgraded up to 3/4 sets. He's currently working on a design for bass regulators so hopefully in the not-too-distant-future he'll be making full sets. His lead time is very good (less than 6 months) and his prices are competitive.
PJ
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

So for under $1000, what other options for a complete beginner are there
Dave Biosvert will make a fine practise set for $1000.

The thing is that you can put drones on to a Pat Sky or David Daye set, making sure that the bag is of strong enough quality to hold a stock. It's when you go to get regulators that you may find that you'll want to get a brand new full set from someone. Or at least you'll probably get new chanter from the same person that will make the regulators.

I know its long term thinking but if you are thinking about drones and regulators in the future you may as well pick a maker that will make the whole lot for you.
It's not fun balancing a set with differen't parts made by differen't makers!!
i know all about it!!!!

Tommy
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

tompipes wrote:
So for under $1000, what other options for a complete beginner are there
Dave Biosvert will make a fine practise set for $1000.

... if you are thinking about drones and regulators in the future you may as well pick a maker that will make the whole lot for you.
It's not fun balancing a set with differen't parts made by differen't makers!!

Tommy
I agree, a set made by one maker is the best option IMHO... among a few other things, your pipemaker will have a working understanding of how your pipes work (or come apart) should they need repair or adjusting where, as I understand it, a lot of makers just as soon not work on another's handiwork.