Glenn Schultz: The Living Thread

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Glenn Schultz: The Living Thread

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Glenn Schultz, a top-notch whistle and flute maker as well as world-class poet, passed away at 2:00 am today. Those of you who knew Glenn are aware that the world is now short one true Renaissance man. Glenn was my mentor in whistlesmithing and anything I do correctly in that field is because of him. Glenn had been struggling with emphysema from smoking for many years, and unfortunately his lungs simply could not support life any more. Bree Schultz contacted me today with the sad news. Those of you posessing a Thin Weasel or Water Weasel, you now have a priceless legacy as well as a fine whistle. Bree Schultz can be contacted at 248-628-7647 if you wish to extend condolences...cards sent to Glenn's home address (see his website) will probably reach them also. I don't know about you folks, but I am going to miss Glenn terribly......I pray that whatever deity he believed in receives him tenderly.
Dave Parkhurst
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Very sad news. Although I've never had the opportunity to play one of Glenn's whistles, I have indirectly benefited from his knowledge (since I have several whistles made by Paul Busman, who learned whistle making from Glenn). The whistling world has just suffered a great loss. I think I'll play a lament tonight. :(

John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I'd snatch up a Water Weasel from somewhere while they're available...in my opinion one of the finest whistles in the world, regardless of the fact that they're made of PVC.
Brigitte

RIP

Post by Brigitte »

WE WERE VERY VERY SORRY TO HEAR THIS NEWS

Nice whistles, some of his have a home here for a long time.

Lovely chap, talking with him on the phone was something else! and reading his poems as well.

Our condolences to his wife, who also is a lovely lady and to his kids.

Brigitte and Colin
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

I think you're right, Dave, that Glenn Schultz' instruments will go down as some of the best ever made. It's a wonderful testament that he was also so active as a mentor. I'm sorry for your personal loss, and for the loss of a great whistlemaker.

Cara
Last edited by thurlowe on Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
eskin

Post by eskin »

How awful...
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I likewise received this news this morning. As you can imagine, I'm deeply saddened. I'm writing from work, and can't really express myself fully at the moment. I do however intend to write a much more complete tribute later.
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

This is sad news indeed. Glenn was a great, great person, a true poet and a maker of mighty fine whistles. Surely the best way to honor him will be to read some of his poetry and to play on his lovely instruments. I'll do both tonight.

Claus
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

What a loss. I used to regularly get these terrific emails from Glenn that were funny, intermittently incomprehensible, but never failed to entertain. Almost without fail, when I'd send out a newsletter, I'd get a quick email of appreciation back from Glenn. And, oh, what lovely instruments. Rest in peace, Glenn.

Dale
Jay-eye
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

Claus von Weiss wrote:This is sad news indeed.
Exactly.

My Water Weasel D has always been my favourite performance and session whistle since Glenn made it for me. I've never played a Thin Weasel but from what I have seen of his work I believe him to be a true craftsman whistlesmith.

We never spoke, only emailed each other, but I found him a delight to deal with. He'll be sadly missed by the whistling community worldwide.

My sincere condolences to his wife and family, you're in our prayers.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

I want to express my condolences to the family.
I've never talked with Glenn, nor played his whistles, but I do know that the artists are at the top of the human kind, and I really believe that his art still lives thru his students.

I hope to have the chance to play a Weasel some day...
Cristian Feldman
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Glenn was one of a kind and will be sorely missed. A great friend and terrific business partner. Dale's right. No one could right a more entertaining email than Glenn.

Now, finally, you can get a good whistle in heaven. No more reason to fear death.

Rest well Glenn.

Doc
barstool

Post by barstool »

My deepest condolenses to all of Glenn's friends and family.

~Barstool
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

This is truly sad news. I've only had small windows into Glenn's heart and soul and the view was always delightful.

I purchased my very first high end whistle from Glenn about 12 years ago - a Thin Weasel cocobolo that I still have and will never relinquish. In speaking with him through the years, he struck me as a whimsical charitable soul. He always sent whistles to try out prior to receiving a cent and, at his insistence, sent me two or three at a time to rummage about and pick the best or all. I believe someone on the board has one of those in Bflat honduran rosewood - big round beautiful sound.

I have a bunch of the Water Weasels - Eflat, D, C, Bflat, A - terrific innovative best bang for the buck whistles around.

I'll remember Glenn in his whistles and his kindness.

Rest in peace,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

I also received an email from Bree this afternoon and am filled with grief and shock. Glenn had become a dear friend to me this past year. I agree with Dale as to the mad hilarity of his emails..........mixed in with wonderful insights and an alway sincere regard for how YOU were doing.

I own several of Glenns wonderful Thin Weasels as well as a Water Weasel complete with plumbing code which he sent me as a gift just a month ago. That was the sort of fella he was. How infinitely more precious they all are now.......as if it were possible for them to be more so.

I own a book of Glenn's poetry which is so wonderful.........he was an amazing poet. Such wonderful verses all based on his own life experience.

One thing I can say for certain.........Glenn had no fear of death. His was a healthy and happy and completely accepting spirituality. He talked to me of it many times. He saw death as simply one step thru a door to a whole new reality.

His love for his Vicki and his children shone through in every one of the letters he wrote to me. My heart goes out to all of them right now. All of us have lost a wonderful whistlesmith, poet. and friend.........they have lost a wonderful husband and father. God bless them all at this heartbreaking time.

Terry told me that any cards would be so welcome...and if any of you, like me, have any lovely stories that you would like to share with Vicki, Terry asks that we please include a wee letter with our card. She says it will mean so much.

Whistle a tune for us in Heaven Glenn!!!!!!!!