Poison Ivy!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Poison Ivy!!

Post by anniemcu »

... no, not the song from Batman and the 70s, or the character either... the infernal greenleafed interloper that has me swelling up and itching like a .... um... swollen, itchy mass of nerves.... I'm about to explode!!!!!!!!

Needless to say this is getting extremely old, very quickly, and it is keeping me from finishing the set of Whistle Rolls I was working on (pretty certain anyone even remotely allergic will appreciate that!)

I'm going (even more) NUTS! :o :boggle: :evil: :oops: :-? :shock: :tomato:

and now it's working its way in between my index and middle fingers on the hands and interfereing with practice too! I'm fit to be tied!

ARRGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Leel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

My sincerest sympathies!!! :( :( :(

It's heinous stuff!

I was given a prescription cream once called TOPICORT. It's the only thing I've found that helps, but it's a pretty powerful topical steroid and must be used sparingly or it can cause skin damage (but at least it won't ITCH)

I think it's still by prescrition only. But you can check with your doc.

Good luck.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

My sympathies. It's poison oak we have out here, but the effect's the same, and after our wet winter, it's rampant.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
jen f
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jen f »

UGH! I had a bout of the stuff this spring. My sympathies to you. It can certainly put an end to your fun for a few days! I'm extremely sensitive to it; I almost always have to take a round of oral steroids to clear it up.

Hope you feel better soon!

P.S. I like Band-Aid anti-itch gel (formerly Rhuli Gel) or Caladryl Clear to stop the itch. Helps dry it up too.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

jen f wrote:UGH! I had a bout of the stuff this spring. My sympathies to you. It can certainly put an end to your fun for a few days! I'm extremely sensitive to it; I almost always have to take a round of oral steroids to clear it up.

Hope you feel better soon!

P.S. I like Band-Aid anti-itch gel (formerly Rhuli Gel) or Caladryl Clear to stop the itch. Helps dry it up too.
Ive been using both of those, and am on steroids for a different problem, so the mix seems to be off... I had it pretty badly about a month ago too... what ever happened to immunity??????? ARGH!
anniemcu
---
---
---
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I have never had it but I can go nuts with one little mosquito bite, so I can't even imagine having poison ivy. I hope you can figure out why you are getting it so frequently and solve that problem----once a month sounds too often!!! Hope it goes away soon.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Listen Annie -

- Get some magic stuff from a doctor who knows about this (dermitologist?), apply it and make it go away

- Stay away from the darn source

- Get better soon

- Get back to those whistle bags :)

Those are orders!

Best,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

anniemcu wrote: Ive been using both of those, and am on steroids for a different problem, so the mix seems to be off... I had it pretty badly about a month ago too... what ever happened to immunity??????? ARGH!
Oh dear....I'm sorry for you, truly I am, but the fact is that you might be INsensitive to start with, but the more you react to poison ivy, the more sensitive you become with each exposure.

Every part of poison ivy causes this reaction. Root, stem, leaf, berry. Even dried over years, the stuff is pernicious. You need to be aware that it can seep into tree bark that the ivy vine grows on, so if you cut or carry wood, wear gloves. In the shrubby form it can hide in our backyards, along our fences, anywhere. If you walk in the woods or have dogs gallumphing through the undergrowth you'll want to be aware and not pet the dog.

If you THINK you've been exposed, HOT soapy water and a thorough washing may help.

Oatmeal baths and soaks do help, but steroid creams are better. See a dermatologist if you possibly can.

Best of luck and no, you can't pass it to anyone else, even if the sores are open and seeping, but people react better if you have gloves on....and you may be able to put an oatmeal poultice on and gloves over that.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
jen f

Post by jen f »

PhilO wrote:- Get some magic stuff from a doctor who knows about this (dermitologist?), apply it and make it go away
What "magic stuff" might this be? I was under the impression there wasn't a magic cure. If there is, I would definitely be interested!
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Re: Poison Ivy!!

Post by michael_coleman »

anniemcu wrote:... no, not the song from Batman and the 70s, or the character either... the infernal greenleafed interloper that has me swelling up and itching like a .... um... swollen, itchy mass of nerves.... I'm about to explode!!!!!!!!

Needless to say this is getting extremely old, very quickly, and it is keeping me from finishing the set of Whistle Rolls I was working on (pretty certain anyone even remotely allergic will appreciate that!)

I'm going (even more) NUTS! :o :boggle: :evil: :oops: :-? :shock: :tomato:

and now it's working its way in between my index and middle fingers on the hands and interfereing with practice too! I'm fit to be tied!

ARRGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I used to do land surveying for the State where there was a lot of poison oak and they actually issued us Tecnu (I think thats what it was called), and it was a preventative as well aiding cream-like substance. I really suggest it.

When I would get poison oak I would put lacquer thinner on it and it would dry it up really fast. I don't know if I would suggest this though. :roll:
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

For symptom relief, this has worked for me since I was a kid.

If the swelling is in a place where you can run hot water on it do this. Run very hot water on it and slowly turn the heat up until you can't stand it. Let it run a bit more. This will relieve the itching for awhile, and I think it helps it go away a bit faster.

Best, John
childrenswriter

Post by childrenswriter »

Once again, the dreaded disclaimer that I am signed under my wife's sign in name.

My step-daughter helped her grandmother remove some vines from the side of her house. Her grandmother assured there was no poison ivy of any kind. She was wrong, wrong, wrong. In less than two days, her face was so swollen that she looked like Rocky Balboa after 6 rounds with Apollo Creed. We talked to a nurse at the emergency room who recommended this - www.zanfel.com We went to our local worthless Walmart to check into this Zanfel solution. She gave us a "I think it sounds too good to be true" speech. Because the product is OTC, as well as $36.00 for a very small amount, I decided to forego getting it. We took her to the doctor the next morning who proceeded to bring a pamplet with him for (you guessed it) Zanfel. Since she ended up with a shot and a 12 day supply of Prednisone, he said we didn't need to use the Zanfel, but if we ever run into this problem again to use it.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I truly sympathize.

I've only had the stuff once, about 10 years ago and I never want it again. Since I'd never gotten it I was not careful and a cut on my leg from a cedar stump, then climbing a fence covered in the stuff ,gave me a whoppin' case. I had blisters solid from the knees down. Before it was all over, about a month later, I even had it in my scalp. Prednisone did nothing but make me feel worse. I've never been so miserable in my life. The only good thing from this is it destroyed the hair folicles on my legs so-no more shaving! :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

That stuff can be nasty. My daughter Sarah got a bad case of it on her face when she was about 6. I had to take her to the ER for an injection of steroids. Those worked REALLY well.

I think I may be immune to it. I played in the woods constantly as a kid and as far as I know I never had an outbreak.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

DaleWisely wrote:That stuff can be nasty. My daughter Sarah got a bad case of it on her face when she was about 6. I had to take her to the ER for an injection of steroids. Those worked REALLY well.

I think I may be immune to it. I played in the woods constantly as a kid and as far as I know I never had an outbreak.
I never had more than a couple of bumps from it til I was pregnant with my first kiddo... had it or 6 months! 'cause they couldn't give me anything for it.

Now, last month I was doing warfare on it on our property, cutting, mowing, spraying and all... and it fights back... so I wasn't too surprised to get it then... I looked like the bad end of a mispent life until I started on the Rhustox pills... cleared up right away. But now... I don't know how I'm getting it... did pull some by accident, but recognized it immediately (telltale pair of leaves on that 'grape' vine...) and washed thoroughly with the ivy removal soap... several times... but here it comes again, swelling up my eyelids this time and itching like mad. I am on the end round of Prdnizone for a pain problem, and so don't think that it was particularly helpful this time for the ivy... very frustrating. I suspect the four-leggeds are bringing to me on their coats. It is hard not to pet and cuddle them, but this is no fun at all!! I'm trying to be lovey from a distance. I need this to go away. If it isn't somewhat improved by tomorrow, it's back to the doctor.
anniemcu
---
---
---