Tom digs Katie Holmes, Scientology, Chiff & Fipple

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Wanderer wrote:
beowulf573 wrote:For those with time on their hands, <a href="http://www.xenu.net/">Operation Clambake</a> make for, hmm, itneresting reading shall we say.
Lotta truth on that site..I dated a Scientologist for 7 years.
xenu.net wrote: In the late 1940s, pulp writer L. Ron Hubbard declared:

"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion"

Reader's Digest reprint, May 1980, p.1

Hubbard later created the Church of Scientology...
(http://www.xenu.net/roland-intro.html)

That's interesting...
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I worked with a fellow into Scientology. A nice enough fellow, nothing peculiar about him. Even when he talked about Scientology it was calm and rational sounding. I can see why it appeals to so many people that are looking for something. There is a strong base of logic in their teachings. Even their text, is subtitled "The Modern Science of Mental Health."

This fellow liked it so much, he went to work for them, giving up a good steady job and large sum of money to get credentialed by them. A few months after that there was a front page article in a major news magazine about some seedy business dealings involving the Church of Scientology. The focus was on the kind of business that my coworker joined up to do. As I understand it, he never got paid for the work he did, and lost his job a bit after the storm broke.

A lot of people confuse Scientology with Christian Science, and Religious Science. The latter two have some commonality, however Scientology is not related, though it is by far the biggest now.

John Travolta is another actor big into Scientology. There may be something to the belief system and his success. Most churches would love to have Travolta or similar big earners promoting their religion and giving 10% or more of their enormous incomes to the church.

Because of strong Hollywood connections I would wager that Scientology gets better treatment in newspapers and network TV and NPR than most other organized religions. It is weird like that.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Ugh. I know. People use Christian Science (Mary Baker Eddy's religion) and Scientology (L. Ron Hubbard's) as synonyms sometimes.

They're extremely different faiths and have virtually nothing in common other than the word "Science" in their names.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

For you who criticize Scientology you should have your body thetans removed right away.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

As a Boston sport's writer wrote once - We need to remember that these young baseball players are young men with a lot of money who have received abnormal treatment throughout their lives. We know about them because they have unique physical gifts. Why on earth anyone would pay attention to anything they say on any topic other than baseball is beyond me.

Same applies to Tom Cruise, Brook Shields, Pat Sajack, Mel Gibson, Mel Brooks or any other celebity, athlete or musician.

I like Cruise movies but until he passes the rational human test, I'm not interested in his actual thoughts. He or anyone else can establish their credibility in new lines of endeavor. I think he's not there yet. Maybe he shouldn't stand on the chair.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

dwinterfield wrote:I like Cruise movies but until he passes the rational human test, I'm not interested in his actual thoughts. Maybe he shouldn't stand on the chair.
I thought that was Alan Ladd. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
emmline

Post by emmline »

dwinterfield wrote: Why on earth anyone would pay attention to anything they say on any topic other than baseball is beyond me.

Same applies to Tom Cruise, Brook Shields, Pat Sajack, Mel Gibson, Mel Brooks or any other celebity, athlete or musician.
Agreed. In general. But I would consider the input of someone who has been successfully treated for depression with the aid of meds to be of more value than the criticism of someone who is uttering cult lines and knows nothing about the subject, medically.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

dwinterfield wrote:As a Boston sport's writer wrote once - We need to remember that these young baseball players are young men with a lot of money who have received abnormal treatment throughout their lives. We know about them because they have unique physical gifts. Why on earth anyone would pay attention to anything they say on any topic other than baseball is beyond me.
Will one of ye send this quote to Bono.

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

xenu.net wrote: In the late 1940s, pulp writer L. Ron Hubbard declared:

"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion"

Reader's Digest reprint, May 1980, p.1

Hubbard later created the Church of Scientology...
Back in the 80's I read Hubbard's book on scientology. The only work of his I was familiar with was his science fiction and I made it about halfway through his scientology book before I finally gave up, saying, "this is the most boring science fiction I have ever read - there is no plot!" I didn't find out until months later it was supposed to be non-fiction... :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I tried reading "Battlefield Earth" in high school, his fiction isn't much better.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Cranberry wrote:I try to be respectful of other religions, but there has always been something about Scientology that just plain scares me. I've never been able to determine what that "something" is, though.
Maybe it's that L. Ron played the banjo.

Steve
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

emmline wrote:
dwinterfield wrote: Why on earth anyone would pay attention to anything they say on any topic other than baseball is beyond me.

Agreed. In general. But I would consider the input of someone who has been successfully treated for depression with the aid of meds to be of more value than the criticism of someone who is uttering cult lines and knows nothing about the subject, medically.
OPPPS! I'm with you. Brook Shields came to her understanding of depression the hard way. She lived it. I gather she can speak with some authority on Tom Cruise too. maybe a relationship with him contributed to the depression.
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

I play the banjo.

Wanna fight about it?
Everyone likes music
missy

Post by missy »

ninjaaron wrote:
"I play the banjo. "

I'm sorry. We all have our crosses to bear............. :o
(I'm kidding, I really love Bela Fleck).

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

ninjaaron wrote:I play the banjo.

Wanna fight about it?
Sure! You grab your banjo, I'll grab my sword, and we'll duel. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."