90º

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote:Trouble! With a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for POOL! :)
Trust me to get it arseways...

Forty years is a long time though :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

On the subject of Pool;

POOL SONG

May the Lord upon high who rules the sky, look down on our pubs and bars

And the women and men all seated within, neglecting there pints and there jars

The crack it is bad the atmosphere bad, very man has a face like mule

For all he can do is to grab an oul cue and start playing that game called pool

Now when I was a boy it was always me joy to go to the pub each night

There were arguments, scraps and killings perhaps and everyone though he was right

There was badgers and dogs and men from the bogs and young fellas acting the tool

But now there's no crack for every man jack has his arse in the air playing pool

To the local ale house after milking the cows every customer made his way

And there he would dwell and drink till he fell while the fiddles and pipes they did play

The jigs and the reels, the rattling of heels, polkas and slides were the rule

But now there's no chance for a tune or a dance, for everyone's playing the old pool

Now pool you will find is a game designed for foolish, illiterate louts

You put in four bob and pull an old knob and a big shower of balls they come out

They're placed on the table and then if your able to knock them all in to a hole

More money goes in, you start over again and you lose every bob of your dole

Now in the Irish Free State all the people are beat from watching and playing this game

In their necks they have cricks which no doctor can fix & their backs and their shoulders are maimed

Their arses protrude in a manner most lewd from being hoisted aloft in the air

Their eye balls are sore and dripping with gore and they in a manner most quare

So if you meet a young man whose face it is wane and his eyes have a vacant stare

His jawbone is slack and his head is thrown back and he can't tell a cob from a mare

His nostrils dilated, his brow corrugated, his manners like those of a fool

On your shirt you can bet that you have just met, a man's that's gone plain mad for pool

Slan,
D. :lol: :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:
izzarina wrote:
emmline wrote:I'm so glad it's finally warm.
I have to agree with you, em (sorry cran). I'm always cold, so the warm weather is a welcome change for me. Although I do admit that I'm not fond of the humidity :P
You're not sorry! :moreevil: I bet you have air conditioners!
GASP!! I do not! I hate air conditioners....too cold. I don't have central air either. I prefer to have my windows open and let the fresh air blow in. I hate feeling all stuffy and closed in.

I'm hurt that you think I'm not sorry, cran :cry:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Danner

Post by Danner »

My daughter's high school graduation was Sunday. 94 outside and a thread of rain so they decided to have the ceremony in the gym. Unfortunately they had only turned on the AC about 2 hours before. The gym was a sweat box. Fortunately my daughter was the second one to get her diploma so we all went outside until it was over. At least there was a breeze to provide evaporative cooling.
I had to play at our graduation on Sunday. It was maybe 88 that day, and was raining (100% humitity). We don't have AC in our school, and we had to sit in the packed gym in our formal concert attire for two hours without a single fan. I was so hot and sweaty that I could hardly hold my flute without it slipping out of my hands. We played Pomp and Circumstance so many times that I can play it in my sleep...Now where's the emoticon that is frustrated and dripping with sweat...
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

emmline wrote:The Music Man lyrics!
I think I'd better rent a video and watch that again! I found the song but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. :lol: Iowans don't seem to have any particular characteristics at all as far as I can tell, but I am not a native, so.....

As for giving Iowa a try, it's not a bad place to live but most folks wouldn't make a special trip to come here. There's a reason for that.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

What's everyone's least favorite Music Man song?

My least favorite is Shaboopi. Though Music Man is one of my favorite musicals. Even more then "Paint Your Wagon".
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

My favourite bit in The Music Man is where the kids finally play their instruments. One day the Newmarket Session will sound as good as that. :lol:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Okay, here's a heat-related trivia question for you:

What is the only major U.S. city that has never seen the mercury hit 100 degrees Fahrenheit? (By "never" I mean in the last 150 years or so, since temperature records began)

The answer will surprise you.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Is it in Alaska?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hawaii!
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Whoops, I meant only major city in the contiguous United States...let's leave out Alaska and Hawaii.
missy

Post by missy »

it sure as heck isn't Cincinnati (is Cincinnati a major city??? :D )
And I've been in Louisville when it was 105.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I lived in Arizona (mostly in Tucson) for 30 years, so I have considerable experience with evaporative coolers. Water trickles down through pads, and outside air is pulled in through the wet pads, cooling the inside air through the principle of evaporation. The lower the outside humidity, the better evaporative coolers work. Many homes in Tucson have both evaporative coolers and an air conditioner for the times during the summer monsoon season when the humidity is higher and the coolers stop working. One advantage of using evaporative coolers is that they are much less expensive to operate than an air conditioner. One disadvantage of evaporative coolers is that they tend to get clogged up with mineral deposits that are in the ground water. Every year the coolers have to be taken apart, scrapped out, pads replaced, and repainted as needed. It is a messy job that I never looked forward to doing.

With regard to temperature changes within the state, Arizona is blessed with a variety of possibilities. Phoenix at 1100 feet elevation is very hot, whereas Flagstaff at 7000 feet is cool in the summer and downright cold in the winter. I lived in Prescott, AZ for three years. At 5280 feet elevation Prescott has ideal weather throughout the year, besides having beautiful views of the mountains and high plains. Unfortunately, a lot of other people with money share my viewpoint about Prescott, driving up prices while the local wages are low. If I win the lottery, I would like to return someday.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

emmline wrote:Trouble! With a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for POOL! :)
Right here in River City!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Is it Portland or Seattle? Even SF has had 100 a few times. The only others I could think of might be river towns, where the breeze cools things or high elevation, like Albuquerque.... I am stumped.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?