What should I get for my first high end whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dtravers
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What should I get for my first high end whistle?

Post by dtravers »

I am looking at finally getting a higher end whistle. I am hoping some of you could help me out with my decision.

These are the characteristics I am looking for:
- not big. I have small hands.
- not a huge breath requirement. asthma. :-P
- at least average in volume. I'd like to be able to play this at moderately loud sessions and not fade away.
- handles wind well. I want to be able to play it at festivals and things and not have it drop out too often when the wind blows across the window.
- not completely pure. I like a bit of breathiness and a bit of funk in the sound.

I don't really care about materials but I think weatherproof would be best. Metal or dymandwood or something.

Thanks!

-Derek-
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

You just described my Burke Pro Session (black tip) brass.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jack

Post by Jack »

I would definately email Mack Hoover if I were you. Mack can (and does) make anything and he will work with you as an individual because he cares. :)
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Burke Pro Session (brass)

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Burke session - brass for warm tone or aluminum for bright and pure. Mack Hoover makes a great whistle that requires very controlled breathing. I had one but was not ready for that level of delicate, sensitive breathing.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have an Alba High D for sale. It even has the benefit of being nearly clog proof!!! Even my wife can't clog it and she clogs ever other whistle we own.

Shoot me an email and we can discuss it more.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Burke session in brass. Jen has one and it's a wonderful, warm whistle.

If you don't want to spend that much, also consider either an aluminum Syn (if you want more resistance) or a Hoover (if you want a bit less resistance like the Burke).

--James
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Burke
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
eskin

Post by eskin »

I concur, Burke brass session pro.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

The Burke brass black tip is a great whistle - my everyday player. However, I don't know how it is "in the wind." The best whistle I've ever played outdoors is the Copeland, perhaps having something to do with its conical shape (and raised windway on models lower than soprano D). However, the cost is considerably more. Although the air requirements are a bit more than most high D whistles (certainly including the Burke), I think in that key whistle especially it's more to do with learning where it's appropriate to take a breath and doing it often enough throughout a tune. You can certainly push it and it has ample volume in both octaves, $300+ pricetag notwithstanding.

Finally, the Burke is pretty pure although you get some nice overtones in the lower octave in the latest models. The costly Copeland is generally rife with resonance and overtones.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Sorry - forgot - other possible candidates - Sindt and Humphrey.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

PhilO wrote:The Burke brass black tip is a great whistle - my everyday player. However, I don't know how it is "in the wind."
Wanderer's <a href="http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/review ... sp">recent review</a> of the Burke <b>aluminum</b> noted the following:
<blockquote><b>Wind Resistance:</b> Practically none. This whistle doesn't even like my car's air conditioning set on high. Slight breezes knock it out. Definitely an indoor whistle.</blockquote>I have no idea if the Burke brass whistles are any different in this respect.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

I vote for Silkstone aluminum. IMO, Paul Hayward is a genius. Hoovers and Burkes are great, too. In reality, there probably aren't many high end whistles that would be BAD choices. You'll probably find Silkstone to be edgier than Burke.
William Bajzek
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Craig Stuntz wrote:
PhilO wrote:The Burke brass black tip is a great whistle - my everyday player. However, I don't know how it is "in the wind."
Wanderer's <a href="http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/review ... sp">recent review</a> of the Burke <b>aluminum</b> noted the following:
<blockquote><b>Wind Resistance:</b> Practically none. This whistle doesn't even like my car's air conditioning set on high. Slight breezes knock it out. Definitely an indoor whistle.</blockquote>I have no idea if the Burke brass whistles are any different in this respect.
To be fair, my review is of the Burke Al-Pro, and Michael may have made improvements in wind resistance in his newer models. I can't say one way or the other.

I second Monkey's vote for the Silkstone alloy..it's a great whistle, and will probably satisfy the "not too pure" requirement. It has it's own complex sound. The Copeland, of course, is a given..and I used one myself extensively performing outdoors at the Texas Renaissance Festival. The one I have is a little on the pure side, though (which I like just fine). Perhaps the Sweetheart Pro would make a good choice, too..it's pretty wind resistant.

Of all of these, the new Sweetheart Pro has the lowest breath requirements. It's difficult to find a good wind-resistant whistle that doesn't require at least average breath requirements, though. My recent Hoover PVC is the surprisng exception that I've run into..it worked fairly well in a decent breeze, without requiring a lot of breath.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I have to say that the best whistle I have for playing outdoors is my Sweetheart Pro. Nothing knocks that baby out. Might be a bit purer in tone than you want, though.

I haven't played the Burke outdoors much, because it's a bit quiet for Morris Dancing, so I can't say how it might handle wind.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!