Have a good laugh at my expense!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Davey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Have a good laugh at my expense!

Post by Davey »

Mostly just to hear myself talk..er..see myself in print, I thought I'd share a good story so that all can have a good laugh at my expense...trust me..I'VE certainly been laughing!

SO, to make a short story long. I had been working on a few sets of pipes using silver and mammoth ivory. So I try to keep my eyes open for good deals in certain places on the web and from dealers etc. I found an amazing "scrimshawed Inuit mammoth ivory ball" on ebay... I asked all the relevant questions etc. and snatched it up for an absolute STEAL of a deal.

It arrived a few days ago...I opened the package to find exactly what I had been hoping for...the thing was PERFECT...about 3.5" in diameter...no apparent "beaty lines" as dealers like to call them. WOW! The TUSK this thing must've come from to create a SOLID, uncracked BALL...ok..um..well..it felt a LITTLE light to me..but hope springs eternal..

I then proceeded to scrape off a bit of "patina and scrimshaw" (don't gasp, it was made in the 80's, was terribly ugly..NOT an artifact..sheesh!) to verify that it was indeed mammoth and not elephant. But I found to my horror that I could not see any of the cross-hatching that clearly identifies elephant/mammoth ivory. Rutt-Roh....I sanded a good chunk off....drilled a small pilot hole. Yep. Verification and clarifications. I had been had. Snookered. Bamboozled. Hood-Winked. Cheated. It turned out to be some sort of man-made material.

Ahh..but what?!

And there I was, frustrated at being cheated out of $40, NOT having a really good chunk of ivory. And yet, in my head( ever the "craftsman" ) I'm still trying to figure out what TYPE of material it is, and if I can still USE it for something. Unfortunately I found that it wasn't even GOOD fake ivory! It was dusty, and without any grain whatsoever. It rather reminded me of a chalk sculpture a former student of mine had given me.

And thus, not in a rage but out of curiosity, I flung the offending item at the floor (with some sort of subconscious image of it shattering like chalk) only to find myself instantly flat on my back (after having been knocked back into my workbench) and my head hurting like there was no tomorrow... I then slowly rose to my feet to find that after the ball had ricocheted off of my poor noodle, it had not only made an impact crater on my workshop floor, but had destroyed part of a whistle under construction and various other sundry necessary instrument parts.
I then found to my great horror, and shortly after ..my great amusement that the aforementioned offending sphere had left a rather substantial hematoma (sp?) on my poor brow which had begun to swell and look rather menacing. At this point, it was the size of a golf ball.

I then waddled into my house, chuckling at the image of myself getting bonked like the idiots from "Home Alone" or some stupid 70's/80's hanna barberra cartoon. Wasn't I somehow on the WRONG end of the DAvid and Goliath thing? My name IS David after all...
When my darling bride set her eyes upon be, she shrieked in horror (a very similar yelp that I had received years earlier following a nasty gun-powder incident).

And so, I turned to the mirror to gaze at my heinous, hideous reflection to find that I had somehow become cro-magnon man!! Of course, the fact that I hadn't shaved in weeks and was covered in ebony sawdust only highlighted my obvious, grizzly de-evolution into something subhuman.

Apparently, I AM the missing link. Goodbye.

..Oh yes, it swelled and swelled and obscured my vision...hurt like the dickens...but it's better now!! No cracks, no permanent damage...I'm still devilishly handsome AND I'm obviously still laughing about it!
buskerSean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Sorry you got ripped Davey, but great story nonethless.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

My first thought is some sort of billiard ball?

You are obviously a man of precision to be able to throw something that perfectly vertical (good shot)! :lol:

-gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Obviously a rare piece of Flubber

RORY
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

David Boisvert- Pipemaker and rack-onteur :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I tried to laugh, really, but laughing at a friend who has recently been the victim of a scam, somehow doesn't sit right with me. I am sorry 'bout the misfortune... I remember chatting with you about the ball on the morning after you purchased it.
Davey

amazing..

Post by Davey »

..oh really Joe, it WAS beyond funny...my poor wife and I sure looked the pair the other night... her with this huge weird frankenstein cast thingy on her ankle and me with the forehead of neanderthalensis.... I couldn't see well enough to drive and she couldn't drive well with one foot all bound up...
glands

Post by glands »

'Tis amazing the story a guy will make up for public consumption when his lovely bride whacks him a good one with the skillet!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

:lol:
Joseph E. Smith

glands wrote:'Tis amazing the story a guy will make up for public consumption when his lovely bride whacks him a good one with the skillet!
... yeah, David, 'fess up. :D
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

So did you ever figure out what that ball was?
Joseph E. Smith

I can laugh at this:

... talk about getting a 'head' in his work. :lol:
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Hey, thanks for the story. Very funny. Do you play at Molly Quinn's? Just curious.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
mukade

Post by mukade »

I'm beginning to think the guy who made my beautiful set of pipes is a wee bit silly. :lol:

I hope your noggin returns to its normal size soon, David.

Mukade
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

At least it swelled out. That is always a good sign. My son once tripped just as I was opening a door (the heavy fire door that separates the house from the garage). He hit his head right on the edge. He had a big knot with a slice down the middle. He was only 1 1/2 years old, so of course I freaked out. Then a nurse told me that you are usually fine if it swells out. You know your skull hasn't been breached.

Hope you are feeling better.

By the way, if you took a picture of yourself just after the injury, then you might send it to the guy that bamboozled you. Stating that this thug is looking for you. Might scare the dickens out of him.