How many tunes do you know

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
buskerSean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

How many tunes do you know

Post by buskerSean »

How many tunes do you know? one of our local fiddle players reckons he knows about 600! The very concept is baffling.

Also Padraig O Keffe could apparently play any tune from O'Neils 1001 straight off.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Three. I can never remember more than the current tunes my teacher has set for me. When I hear a tune from a previous lesson I can sort of follow along, but generally I just have zero retention if I'm not playing a tune regularly.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Rick C.

Post by Rick C. »

Not nearly enough.

And no matter how many I can learn in a year's time, it always comes back to that!

Rick
"You cain't teach what you don't know anymore'n you can come back from where you ain't been".-- John Osteen
fluti31415

Re: How many tunes do you know

Post by fluti31415 »

buskerSean wrote:How many tunes do you know?
Define "know." My number is either 0 or 500.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

If I were to write a list of all the tunes I've ever "learned" it would come to more than 500 8) . But before you run away with the idea that I'm just showing off I should add the following severe caveats:
(1) tunes I regularly play in sessions: 100?
(2) tunes I'd like to play, and can play proficiently at home, but which none of the others play: another 100?
(3) tunes I've played but not recently and am rusty on: 100?
(4) tunes I've played but not for years and would struggle to reinstate without a lot of effort: 200?
(5) tunes I could play with confidence if I went to any other session than my own regular one: 0 :-?
All the above categories are infinitely variable according to prevailing conditions. I couldn't even play Harvest Home with you unless I'd leaned across and quietly asked: "how fast do you do it, Busk? Lilt or no lilt? How many times? Whaddya go into after it? then reprise all questions for next tune!

Cheers

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SilverStrand

Post by SilverStrand »

Not enough.
"Block out the Sun and Pack up the Sky"
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Is it just me, or do y'all have the same experience as this: Someone new to your session, or even someone who shows up every week, asks you "Do you know...(such & such a tune)?" - and you say weakly "I've heard it but I can't really play it yet..." or: "I think I might know it but has it got another name?"

Cheers

Steve

peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think I'm up to several hundred; it's hard to say.

Some of the folks I session with know and can start many more than me.

--James
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

SteveShaw wrote:Is it just me, or do y'all have the same experience as this: Someone new to your session, or even someone who shows up every week, asks you "Do you know...(such & such a tune)?" - and you say weakly "I've heard it but I can't really play it yet..." or: "I think I might know it but has it got another name?"
Well sure -- there are probably hundreds of tunes that I know well enough to recognize or play a few licks from, but cannot play reliably. And invariably they got that way because people like to play them in sessions...
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Hmm...I've never thought about counting them...I don't play any of them well as well as I'd like to, though.
mikk

Post by mikk »

I think I need to upgrade my memory card. I'd say honestly about 30 to 35 tunes at any one time. The unfotunate thing is that when a new one comes in another one slips out. I think some people must have 2,000 Gb brains. :-?
Jack

Post by Jack »

mikk wrote:I think I need to upgrade my memory card. I'd say honestly about 30 to 35 tunes at any one time. The unfotunate thing is that when a new one comes in another one slips out. I think some people must have 2,000 Gb brains. :-?
I don't know all these hundreds of tunes like so many people seem to. I probably don't even really know fifty.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

If you mean tunes that go "*#@#!" "*%$@!" "&$%^!" or "***#!" every third or fourth measure, then I know 'em ALL.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

I suppose that a lot depends on how you define "know." I have about eight tunes that I'd dare to play to the assembled company unaccompanied. Then maybe 100 that we play in our regular session and have done for ages....but if I showed up at your session and started on some of that 100 you might conclude that I don't know them "properly" at all, and I might think the same about you, but we'd struggle on and it would work out. I think that this is one of the great strengths of "our" music. You just have to collaborate with others of like mind if you're to play it well (pure-droppists excepted of course) and I enjoy that side of it a lot.

Steve

cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I know none of them well enough, that's for sure.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West