British Humour

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Bloomfield - I forgot about those two series...PBS used to play them quite a few years ago (very early 80s perhaps?), and I thought they were great. I think I saw those at a local bookstore, and having not seen them in years they'd be new all over again yet with that delicious semi-sense of deja vu!

Eric
mukade

Post by mukade »

This is one of the funniest things I have seen in a while.

http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/reel_playe ... GZzTV&fs=1

Mukade
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

I thought of a funny British slang that reminds me of one of their sublter styles of humor: a trouser cough.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Britain suffers sense of humour failure due to worries of modern life
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050524/lf ... 0524214117

:-? :-? :-?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

..and then there's another rich vein of humor: Expressions and metaphors and the like. When I was just a pup and my mother was in high dudgeon (whatever that is), she would utter various threats, the gravest of which was, "I'll have your guts for garters." She and my aunt Pam (my namesake) were having a cross-pond phone discussion about the recent Charles and Camilla hooraw; my aunt, never one to have any truck with the royals, delivered a capsule assessment of Camilla's new situation: "She's got her bum in butter, hasn't she?"

:wink:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It just came to me that while talking about British TV Comedy Blackadder did get a mention. :roll: It should have, especially from the second series onward. It was certainly a series that got the very comical best out of the whole cast.

Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I love the Black Adder series - even the first series had some great moments.

I was down at the Liberty Memorial in KC yesterday - the national WWI monument in the USA - and it always makes me think of the final season of Black Adder (I think that was not only the most serious but also the best of the series).

Eric
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

ok, deleted
Last edited by buskerSean on Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

From the Online Sun:

A UNIVERSITY student has been fined £80 — for making “homophobic comments” to a police horse.

Sam Brown, 21, had staggered out of a bar in the early hours and came face-to-face with two mounted officers.

Sam, who is studying English at Oxford University, approached one of the cops and asked: “How do you feel about your horse being gay?”

He was taken to a police station and held in a cell until morning — when he was given a fixed penalty fine of £80 for public disorder.

A police spokesman said: “A man was arrested drunk and shouting homophobic comments at a police horse.”

Sam said: “It was way over the top — as far as I’m aware, horses aren’t that sensitive.”
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Oxford University, that great centre of learning and culture.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Jayhawk - Father Ted in a list of examples of British Humour?? Is this your idea of a joke? :wink: But seriously, a great show. Sad that Dermott Morgan died or it would have certainly gone on for years more.

A great example of British humourists is Douglas Adams. There's a chapter in Restaurant at the End of the Universe when Marvin is talking to a battle tank and more or less talks the tank into destroying itself. The final line in the chapter had me doubled over with laughter: "What a depressingly stupid machine".
PJ
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Douglas Adams was great...like Dermott Morgan, too bad he died so young.

Did you see the new movie of Hitchiker's Guide? I found it terribly disappointing...although Marvin was still pretty good.

Anyone seen the BBC Hitchiker's series? Was it better than the current movie? Some books never translate well into movies or shows, but the content might lend itself better to a BBC series than a movie.

Eric
Lambchop

Re: British Humour

Post by Lambchop »

:lol:
Last edited by Lambchop on Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Martin Milner wrote:British Humour
British cuisine.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:British Humour
British cuisine.
I don't know what's the difference between British cuisine and American. We both eat a fine breakfast of sausage, fried eggs, bacon, and bread and jam. Okay, so we don't have black pudding and non-stripey bacon, and they ain't got no biscuits and gravy, but deep down... we're greasy alike.
Reasonable person
Walden