reedy: is it the player or the flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

reedy: is it the player or the flute?

Post by Berti66 »

how does the player or the flute contribute to that "reedy" sound?
any particular way of playing that you should look for.
any particular flutes that are known for the reedy sound.

just wondering in how far which factor goes.......I guess it is both?
hope this not a stupid question :) but was just curious.

berti
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: reedy: is it the player or the flute?

Post by Jon C. »

Berti66 wrote:how does the player or the flute contribute to that "reedy" sound?

berti
Hi Berti,
I think the best way to get a reedy sound is to have a focused embouchure, and aim the airstream more downward into the embouchure hole.
Pratten's are supposed to have a more reedy sound.

(We will have to define what "reedy" is, this will take a few threads and then we can discuss, why we need a reedy sound, then we can discuss if a Pratten is reedier, I just missed some steps here...) :D
Jon
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
smoro

Post by smoro »

I,ve heard the Reedy sound in both Pratten and R&R flutes, so I think mostly is due to flute player.
Serafin.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Some flutes definitely lend themselves to a reedy sound more than others. I don't think it's a Pratten-vs-Rudall thing, but has more to do with the embouchure. I have one flute with a taller chimney, and that one just doesn't lend itself toward a reedy sound. It can be done, but it's a lot of work for me. That said, I agree that it's mostly the player, as I haven't met a flute that can't be played in a non-reedy manner.

As far as defining reedy, I'd say oboe-like, especially in the lower octave. It's literal.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Sillydill

REEDY

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Berti,

If you want to make yourself and the flute sound more reedy. Try rotating the head of your flute nearly 40 degrees from all the holes being strait up. Or, rotate the head till the top of the embouchure is even with the bottom of the first finger hole. These are not precise rotations and may need some adjustment.

Then use a focused stream of air, if you hear to much hiss or wind noise you know you need to tighten up your embouchure.

Hope this helps!

Jordan

Keep Makin Music!
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

i will go along with the embouchure being the focus. a tight embouchure (of the lips) and a well cut embouchure hole make a difference, the tighter the better w/ downward airstream, works for me. having said that, i also believe from discussions with others, that the term 'reedy' may actually mean different things to different people. 'reedy' to me means the flute is sounding as though there were a reed vibrating in it; and does not necessarily mean 'loud' or 'honk' or a big sound. i seem to find reediness in the low 'g', 'd', and c# notes in particuliar. there is a warmth and focus to the tone as opposed to a broad and open sound.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Grey Larsen's suggestion to blow as if you want to make a long "e" vowel sound helps me. If you want less "reed," think about a long "o" sound.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I only very recently found that reedy sound, and found that I get it best when I relax my embouchure more (especially for the low notes), and cover more of the embouchure hole with my lip. Also, I like the Larsen's suggestion about the long "e" vowel sound. I almost find that I feel like I'm actually singing or humming into the flute. That gives me a real haunting sound that really has a life of its own.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Both.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Olwell Pratten is the reediest flute I ever played.
I once said to Patrick O that the flute is reedy, however,
and he disagreed--the wrong adjective.
I didn't have the presence of mind to ask
for the right one.

Rudalls can be played with an edged sound,
which is lovely in a Rudall way--Chris Norman
has it. But for reediness, Prattens are best,
in my experience, anyhow.

Rolling the headjoint in, perhaps not
so radically, but so that the embouchure
hole's outside edge is at the center of
the finger holes, helps make for reediness.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

For me, both are capable of reediness but the effect is different. So-called modern-day "Rudalls" have a narrower, more focused tone, and it takes me more skill to get a honk out of it, but it's doable, although it's not the broad beefy sort of bark that you get out of the "Pratten". Rather than loud, your "R" is instead penetrating, and can be quite oboe-like in tone. Love 'em both, but I've pretty much gone Rudall now (or more properly nach Rudall, with a nod to our erstwhile Chiffer, AndrewK). I know I'll be heard if I need to be. Sessions, I couldn't care less. I just blend in better now.
maracirac

Post by maracirac »

Berti66 wrote:how does the player or the flute contribute to that "reedy" sound?

berti
i think that reedy sound depends of flute player mostly, because one of reediest sound was produced by barry kerr who play on sam murray flute, wich is ruddal type.
reedy sound of davy maguire( belfast) is produced on hammilton flute.
reedy sound of brendan o'hare (belfast) is produced on nicholson- prowse flute.
maria rafferty produced very reedy sound on old flute wich isn't pratten .
but seems that in belfast area flute players likes pratten style flutes most.
so, player is main key imho.
marin
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

jim stone wrote:The Olwell Pratten is the reediest flute I ever played.
I once said to Patrick O that the flute is reedy, however,
and he disagreed--the wrong adjective.
I didn't have the presence of mind to ask
for the right one.
I've heard Patrick O play a Baroque flute with a reedy sound. I could barely get a sound out of the thing at all. I remarked on how a boxwood flute barked when he played it, and he said, that's not barking, (after picking up one of his big-holed (Pratten) flutes in blackwood), this is barking, and proceeded to blow the windows out of the place.

This is just intended to say that Patrick seems to be able to get any sound out of any flute that he wants to. (Chris Norman can, too, for that matter, to allude to another part of you post.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I would put the player to embouchure ratio at anywhere from 60:40 to 80:20 depending on the flute (this is purely conjecture).

Reedy has got to sound, as the adjective implies, like a reed. Think oboe or bassoon.

Cheers,
Aaron
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

(We will have to define what "reedy" is, this will take a few threads and then we can discuss, why we need a reedy sound, then we can discuss if a Pratten is reedier, I just missed some steps here...) :D
Jon
:lol:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon