Holy p*ss, Newsweek really did get it right.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Holy p*ss, Newsweek really did get it right.

Post by Wormdiet »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050603/ts_ ... o_koran_dc

It's lonely in here without the political rants. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Jailers splashed Koran with urine - Pentagon Fri Jun 3, 7:45 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - American jailers at the Guantanamo prison for foreign terrorism suspects splashed a Koran with urine, kicked and stepped on the Islamic holy book and soaked it with water, the U.S. military said on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Southern Command, responsible for the prison at the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, described for the first time five cases of "mishandling" of a Koran by U.S. personnel confirmed by a newly completed military inquiry, officials said in a statement.

In the incident involving urine, which took place this past March, Southern Command said a guard left his post and urinated near an air vent and "the wind blew his urine through the vent" and into a cell block.

It said a detainee told guards the urine "splashed on him and his Koran." The statement said the detainee was given a new prison uniform and Koran, and that the guard was reprimanded and given duty in which he had no contact with prisoners.

Southern Command said a civilian contractor interrogator, who was later fired, apologized in July 2003 to a detainee for stepping on his Koran. In August 2003, prisoners' Korans became wet when night-shift guards had thrown water balloons in a cell block, the statement said. In February 2002, guards kicked a prisoner's Koran, it added.

In the fifth "confirmed incident" of mishandling a Koran, Southern Command said a prisoner in August 2003 complained that "a two-word obscenity" had been written in English in his Koran. Southern Command said it was "possible" a guard had written the words but "equally possible" the prisoner himself had done it.

Southern Command released its findings on a Friday night.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

It is sad how undisciplined, and disrespectful some members of the military can be. Thank God they aren't near all that way.
Reasonable person
Walden
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Walden wrote:It is sad how undisciplined, and disrespectful some members of the military can be. Thank God they aren't near all that way.
I'm just gonna sit back and munch popcorn this time around.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

You beat me to it ya bugger -- I was just sitting down to up-date the thread I started with a similar title. I wonder where the attack dogs are tonight.

Here fellas... come on... come here... here boy... *sound of crickets* .......... hmmm. Image
Jack

Post by Jack »

I don't think piss is a bad word. I say stuff like "this person pissed me off" in chat all the time and Alan never tells me to not say it.

I don't think it's holy, though.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

It is when it's on the Koran.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jack

Post by Jack »

s1m0n wrote:
It is when it's on the Koran.
I meant piss (urine), not the book itself.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

A guard pissed on a prisoner's Koran; I was punning on "holy piss".
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jack

Post by Jack »

s1m0n wrote:A guard pissed on a prisoner's Koran; I was punning on "holy piss".
Oh. Duh. I feel blonder by the minute. I thought you were using it as an exclamation like "holy sh!t."
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

I guess all these complaints are so one way because it's so dificult to file a complaint after you've had you head chopped off, or your body set on fire, or been drug through the streets behind a pick-up.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Duffy wrote:I guess all these complaints are so one way because it's so dificult to file a complaint after you've had you head chopped off, or your body set on fire, or been drug through the streets behind a pick-up.
You tell it, Duffy. Let's never lose sight of that. Or of the "humiliation" of having to beg for one's life on public broadcast before having those things happen to one.....

Cran, I feel blonde a lot too.....

M
And I'm done with this thread.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Duffy wrote:I guess all these complaints are so one way because it's so dificult to file a complaint after you've had you head chopped off, or your body set on fire, or been drug through the streets behind a pick-up.
I guess that I see it, in the same way that I see life, if you compete against others you only are better than the other person. If you set your standards low enough, you can always “beat” someone. If you compete against yourself, you will never win, but you will always be your best.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I.D.10-t wrote:
I guess that I see it, in the same way that I see life, if you compete against others you only are better than the other person. If you set your standards low enough, you can always “beat” someone. If you compete against yourself, you will never win, but you will always be your best.
That took several readings, but I think I both understand and agree with it. ... I think... maybe...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:
You tell it, Duffy. Let's never lose sight of that. Or of the "humiliation" of having to beg for one's life on public broadcast before having those things happen to one.....
Is that really what we aspire to?

The USA - morally equivallent to the Taliban?

C.S. Lewis
emmline

Post by emmline »

s1m0n wrote: Is that really what we aspire to?

The USA - morally equivallent to the Taliban?
I know. That's the thing. I have had the same thought though, when reading these headlines--"why is it that we seem to be holding this act--disrespecting a muslim detainee's holy book--in higher disdain than we might if an Iraqui soldier peed on a GI's Bible or Torah?"
And the answer, as Simon suggests, is that we are not responsible for the actions of another nation's military personnel. It is undeniably true that "the other side" has treated its opponents shamefully and horrifically. The examples are countless.
But we know that such behavior is idiocy, gives our detractors more reason for scorn if we do it, and makes our government's attempts to claim the high road look like utter claptrap.
Besides...regardless of how we feel about the politics of the situation, we all know that that's bad behavior, and the participants should be disciplined by their "parents."