Cat repellent?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Craig Stuntz wrote:Also consider a decoy. Plant catnip / catmint next to your garden and the cat will probably go there instead. It's a nice-looking shrub, too.
The catnip around here spreads so much that you might end up having more catnip than garden though. :-? Kinda like planting morning glories for flowers. I never could understand why anyone would spend money to purposley plant the them. We use to spend $$ on chemicals and lots of hours in the hot sun with a hoe keeping that out of the tobacco field. :moreevil:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Random notes wrote:
I don't know about the quality of cat whiz as a fertilizer - my neghbor's cat pees on the lawn right in front of my apartment (my dog and "Snowflake" have had words before) and it leaves burnt out brown spots - the grass is completely dead.

I have had cats, loved some and respected all, but for many reasons I am no fan of cats allowed to run loose. Personally, I'd consider trying to rig up something using, say, a mouse trap to trigger a small land mine.

Roger

(Cran: Just kidding!!!)
Applying high-nitrogen fertilizer, whether chemical or a natural-by-product, directly to green
leaves often causes a burning effect. Mixed into the soil, however, it encourages leafy green
growth. Too much nitrogen encourages leafing growth at the expense of flowering. So in
the long run the nitrogen supplements will be good for the grass, but in the short run they
burn a hole. A light rain or light watering should prevent burning in the case of a feline
directly applying a stream of natural liquid high-nitrogen fertilizer. If one is using a water
spray device (super soaker, garden hose, etc.) as a feline deterrent in any case, consider
a quick spraydown of the site of feline 'gardening assistance'.

Cat feces (along with any other omnivore or carnivore feces) are, however, relatively poor
fertilizer, and do pose a measurable health risk, but basic care - washing hands after
gardening, washing fresh-picked vegetables - should mitigate that.

Herbivore feces generally don't contain bacteria that are particularly harmful, hence manuring
of fields in farms, and many people compost rabbit-droppings. (Farms may just spread
stuff directly on the fields, but most people with gardens prefer a bit of composting time
first for some funny reason...)

Used coffee grounds are also an excellent source of nitrogen, and generally smell better
than some other options...

My own street is rife with indoor/outdoor cats, outdoor cats, and stray cats. I take the extra
precaution of immunization against feline leukemia (along with the usuals) for this reason.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

B-B gun. Not an expensive one, one of the cheapo kids toys that they still sell. It won't penetrate a cat's skin, let alone fur and skin, but it stings enough to annoy the critter. It will probably take several applications to encourage the cat to stay out of your yard but they eventually learn. If you neighbor complains, tell them to keep the *&^*%^ pest out of your yard!

BTW, both dog and cat feces are extremely poor fertilizers because they are both carnivores and their digestive systems are very acidic.

Cat feces also carry all kinds of diseases, some of them quite dangerous to children and those with compromised immune systems.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Hey-- I like the coffee grounds idea. In addition to adding organic material to the garden, the pungent smell might be distasteful to my "visitor"
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

We have had some success with mothballs to repell both dogs and cats. Just spread them around the area in question.
Mike
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

...--->a dog?
Jack

Post by Jack »

amar wrote:...--->a dog?
Does anybody else not get this, or am I the only one?
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

You must be the only one, friend C-Berry.

Ask yourself: what is Brewerpaul's problem? And how might Amar's response be a solution (and the most succinct of the bunch, too)?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

amar wrote:...--->a dog?
That was my first thought. :roll:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jack

Post by Jack »

Oooh. :oops:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Take it out of that Felix.

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Flame thrower. That must be
one of the cheapo kids toys that they still sell.
I think one application ought to do it, and so fun to use!
If you neighbor complains,
just take out their house too. :wink:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Ya know, I used to like cats. I keep trying to like 'em. But between what they do to the songbird population, afore-mentioned garden despoiling, a cat-lovin ex-wife, the allergies, toxoplasmosis thing and the fact that my workmates tell "cute cat" stories at lunch, I sorta hate 'em anymore. Selfish, sadistic critters who act affectionate for insincere reasons.

Their saving grace is what they do to rat and mouse populations. Period. Oh yeah, and they're "cute."
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Jack

Post by Jack »

The Weekenders wrote:Ya know, I used to like cats. I keep trying to like 'em. But between what they do to the songbird population, afore-mentioned garden despoiling, a cat-lovin ex-wife, the allergies, toxoplasmosis thing and the fact that my workmates tell "cute cat" stories at lunch, I sorta hate 'em anymore. Selfish, sadistic critters who act affectionate for insincere reasons.

Their saving grace is what they do to rat and mouse populations. Period. Oh yeah, and they're "cute."
Cats should not live outside. Even though they can, they do not fare half as well as indoor cats. This is not to say cats should never be allowed to go outside, just that they shouldn't live outdoors. The cats who kill so many songbirds are usually outdoor cats.

Too, if they wear a collar with a bell that makes a noise, it's harder for them to ambush the birds.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Weekenders wrote:Selfish, sadistic critters who act affectionate for insincere reasons.
Well, they are animals you know. Just like humans. I'd take a cat over many of the people I come across any day.