Which Whistle Sounds most like Uilleann Pipes?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kingfish_r

Which Whistle Sounds most like Uilleann Pipes?

Post by Kingfish_r »

I've given up (for now) on being able to afford, let alone learn to play the Uilleann Pipes, but I heard last night on the television a woman playing what I assumed was a whistle, and it sounded an awful lot like a set of pipes.

I'm sure much of this was the way she played it, but is there a whistle whose engineering and tone would make it (in the right hands) sound more like a set of pipes than another? I'm thinking a low D, but that's just a guess, and I'd even like the name of a certain brand.

Thanks!
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Yep....I just sold such a whistle.....its a Silkstone Aluminum Low D. It has a very different sound than the other whistles I own.

Someday I may learn to regret selling it. But is was a mint conditioned whistle which was receiving no playing time. It just wasn't fair to such a good instrument.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

get yerself a "reedy" sounding flute. In the lower registers you can get a shawm-like sound.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

I have a <a href="http://www.hotpipes.com/pc1.jpg">highland bagpipe practice chanter</a> which looks like a whistle and sounds like pipes (minus the drones, obviously!).
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I had a Michael Grinter D whistle in cocobola that was a bit pipes like...kind of buzzy chiff to it.

-Brett
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I just got a Jubile Saturday Night Special which has a very reedy tone also very breathy. You want a high D Pipes may have the spacing of of a low but play the same Pitch as a high. Tht would be my reccomendation.
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

You could get an Uillean Pipes Chanter at a fairly reasonable price. There are Pakastani/Indian ones (not too bad quality -very reasonable do a Google Search or try Ebay. Thats if you want to go in that direction. :shock:
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Tony McGinley wrote:You could get an Uillean Pipes Chanter at a fairly reasonable price. There are Pakastani/Indian ones (not too bad quality -very reasonable do a Google Search or try Ebay. Thats if you want to go in that direction. :shock:
Don't waste your time. Take a gander at the Uilleann pipe forum for reviews, opinions, and otherwise healthy discouragements.

If it's Pakistani (or Indian) it's most likely crap.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: Which Whistle Sounds most like Uilleann Pipes?

Post by IDAwHOa »

Kingfish_r wrote:Which Whistle Sounds most like Uilleann Pipes?
A broken one? :o
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
DCrom

Re: Which Whistle Sounds most like Uilleann Pipes?

Post by DCrom »

IDAwHOa wrote:
Kingfish_r wrote:Which Whistle Sounds most like Uilleann Pipes?
A broken one? :o
Some whistles may have some of the flavor, but they are not really all that close. (Probably something complex-sounding like Overtons or Chieftains would be your best bet. Or maybe some of the chiffier Serpent models. Not most of the cheapies, though, or the purer-toned high enders).

We had a real-life demo in March when I hosted a C & F gathering at our place. My cat LOVES whistle (she'll come running when she hears it, and will climb in your lap and rub her head on the whistle if you play sitting down). She was much underfoot until the Uilleann pipes came out - then a look of horror crossed her face and she hid the remainder of the evening.

(Not a knock on the quality of the pipers - *I* liked it just fine)
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Tony McGinley wrote:You could get an Uillean Pipes Chanter at a fairly reasonable price. There are Pakastani/Indian ones (not too bad quality -very reasonable do a Google Search or try Ebay. Thats if you want to go in that direction. :shock:
Have a look on the Uilleann Pipers forum... Low cost pipes is a fairly common topic. Pakistani sets are generally frowned upon because of low quality/playability. If you get one you should count on extensive tweaks to get it to play well. There are alternative options for a practice set that bring the price into competition with highend whistles.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.