30th Anniversary

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

30th Anniversary

Post by GaryKelly »

It's the 30th anniversary of "Jaws" this weekend.

I can remember watching it when it came out that summer, and my girlfriend showering me with popcorn when that head floated out the hole in the sunken boat... 30 years ago... Gs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4600557.stm

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
missy

Post by missy »

ah - yes - the "head"...........

I was working at a local amusement park, and a group of us went to the drive-in after work. We were all laying on our cars against the windshield. Lissa and I had already seen the movie - Randy, who was sitting in between us, hadn't. We told Randy to watch this part REAL closely so he didn't "miss" it.
When the head floated out - Randy jumped and pushed both of us off the car into the gravel!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Yep, I remember it well. My brother and I went with our girlfriends (now our wives). We couldn't get seats together by the time we reached the front of the queue so we waited all through the performance for the next house. We sent my brother round to the chip shop to fetch fish and chips to keep us going.

Oh yes, that head in the hole moment - I swear everyone in the cinema shot three feet backwards with one concerted gasp.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I didn't go. Some of my tough friends who went to all the gross movies went, but not me in junior high.
Funny though, how as a parent, the things that are too yucky now are light years beyond Jaws in their level of horror factor. I would be happy to have Jaws playing at the sleepover versus some of today's stuff.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I was a young single GI and went to see it in the base theater. The place was packed and some young teenage girls ended up sitting next to me. When the head popped out of the hole in the boat it didn't really bother me that much but when the teeny bopper next to me shrieked at the top of her lungs and wrapped her arms around my neck I came about halfway out of my skin! :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I still have never seen Jaws. Maybe I should now, in honor of it's anniversary and all that.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

izzarina wrote:I still have never seen Jaws. Maybe I should now, in honor of it's anniversary and all that.
If you watch it Izz and start to think "I've seen all this before" just remember this one came first. I should think you've probably seen a host of films that have blagged the basic plot and just substituted another creature.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

jbarter wrote:I should think you've probably seen a host of films that have blagged the basic plot and just substituted another creature.
Aye, like all of Peter Benchley's subsequent books (and the movies made from them) sadly. But JB's right of course, Jaws was the first.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jbarter wrote:If you watch it Izz and start to think "I've seen all this before" just remember this one came first. I should think you've probably seen a host of films that have blagged the basic plot and just substituted another creature.
I have found that no matter how many knock offs people make, the originals are always far better....even with the cheesy special effects. One of my favorite movies of all time is "The Creature from the Black Lagoon". Now that's a classic :) I think I'm going to sit at home this weekend and rent a pile of old horror flicks like these just for kicks now :party:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

A classic moment in cinema history no doubt.
My own favourite moment in that film is when Roy Scheider steps back in the boat and sez "We need a bigger boat" :lol: :lol:

Sharkhunter in chief, Robert Shaw, died of a heart attack whilst driving around Co. Mayo one fine day. He had used a lot of the "Jaws" money to buy a house there, so him,his Missus and their ten kids could enjoy a good healthy life.
Sad,but true...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I remember driving to Bristol,an hours trip one way, to see that movie. I loved Rober Shaw in that movie. He was great. Yeah, the head was right up there with the horses head in Godfather.

I heard the author talking about that movie on the radio today. He was saying how it could never be made today, too un-pc.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

dubhlinn wrote:A classic moment in cinema history no doubt.
My own favourite moment in that film is when Roy Scheider steps back in the boat and sez "We need a bigger boat" :lol: :lol:

I think that line was parodied in a cop comedy action movie, maybe one of the Beverly Hills Cop episodes, where the police commander says "We're gonna need some bigger guns."
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I had read Jaws sometime prior to the movie and was fascinated with sharks. I remember the line for the movie stretched across a parking lot. It was great. I still like watching it.

I wonder how many other "monsters" have been blown up in the end since Jaws?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

My mother brought me to the drive-in to see Jaws. I was about four. I have no idea what she was thinking.
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Flyingcursor wrote:
I wonder how many other "monsters" have been blown up in the end since Jaws?
I seem to recall Jaws was blown up in the front, so to speak. :)

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats