Anyone sick of ITM on the whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dazzle1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dazzle1 »

I agree with Smoot why should We (the royal We) be limited to ITM, I enjoy playing as wide a range as possible, if not very well. Jazz whistle :D
you never know

Playing by ear now that will take some time

D
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

TonyHiggins wrote: Bouree by Jethro Tull (I think Mozart did it first)
Tony
JS Bach, but the way Tull does it it really is a great whistle tune if you don't mind half holing.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm Jewish but for some reason whenever I pick up a low D whistle, I have an urge to play the Christmas Carol "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel". It's simply a gorgeous melody.
Actually, a lot of Christmas music goes really well on the whistle. Not so Jewish music which needs a lot of extra sharps and flats. For that, get a Jubilee Ahava Rabah whistle aka the Hava Nagila whistle.

For a change, see if there is an "old time" session in your area. The folks are usually very welcoming and since fiddles abound lots of the tunes are whistle friendly. You'll even hear some ITM there . Contra dance music is also fun and you might get to sit in with the band. Playing dance music for actual dancers gives a whole new feel for it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I've always wanted to "get medieval" on a whistle/flute. I have a lot of Anonymous 4 stuff, some Perotin, and a fair bit of troubadour stuff. Some of it works well for simple-system instruments, but one really needs a consort for a lot of it.

Lots of stuff by the Baltimore Consort bridges the gaps between "trad" music and early music. Bright Day Star is a great Christmas album. They also have two albums of Scottish early music, which are both great.

On the other hand, there's a few Opeth ("viking metal") guitar soloes which fit on a whistle :)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I'm not tired of Irish music. I am getting sick of the whistle though!
BrassBlower

Re: Perk up

Post by BrassBlower »

talasiga wrote: You see, my dear child, the world of simple system piping, is not at all dominated by ITM. Most whistlers around the globe know little of ITM. Some of them may astound you.
The other day, one of my co-workers was playing some Vietnamese folk music, and it was fairly loaded with whistles.
brewerpaul wrote: Not so Jewish music which needs a lot of extra sharps and flats. For that, get a Jubilee Ahava Rabah whistle aka the Hava Nagila whistle.
I love that tune! A couple of easier ones are "Hatikvah" and "Shalom Chevayrim".
Wormdiet wrote: I've always wanted to "get medieval" on a whistle/flute. I have a lot of Anonymous 4 stuff, some Perotin, and a fair bit of troubadour stuff.
Do you have any Blackmore's Night? Candice night is a decent whistle/recorder/chanter/shawm player, and looks like Galadriel on LOTR to boot! :wink:

What about the Brobdingnagian Bards? I know that's a recorder, but all the tunes are good whistle tunes, and some of the songs are hilarious! :lol:
StevieJ wrote:I'm not tired of Irish music. I am getting sick of the whistle though!
OK, then, like Zappa said, "Shut up and play yer guitar!" :P

(Or you could do what I do, and break out the fiddle.) :D :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Dazzle1 wrote:Jazz whistle you never know
I got to hear Flook in concert a few weeks back. In general you could hear that they were playing Celtic music (from a number of countries) and they played a Moldavian tune as well. On quite a few pieces though, the music started out fairly traditionally and then went somewhere else and I started wondering why the whistle wasn't used in jazz. It had a really great sound.

I think ITM can be overwhelming, so many tunes, so many opinions, so fast on the dance tunes, slow airs such a special category really requiring study of the words and the tradition. I'm sure really great music of any kind is hard. I am not tired of it but I think it is good to have some simpler music to play too so that a person doesn't get too discouraged. Anything that keeps a person practicing through the tough times!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hatikvah (The Hope) can be played on the D whistle in the key of G.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Cynth wrote:
Dazzle1 wrote:Jazz whistle you never know
I got to hear Flook in concert a few weeks back. In general you could hear that they were playing Celtic music (from a number of countries) and they played a Moldavian tune as well. On quite a few pieces though, the music started out fairly traditionally and then went somewhere else and I started wondering why the whistle wasn't used in jazz. It had a really great sound.
I would almost consider Flook to be a "jam band", but maybe a bit less so than Capercaillie or the Afrocelts.

If you really wanna hear a jam band play whistles, check out Carbon Leaf! 8)
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

The Leader of the Band - Dan Fogelberg is sweet on a low Eb whistle.
Senora is fun on a B whistle.
And, Dance Into The Light - Phil Collins is also a good one. As is Soak Up The Sun - Sheryl Crow.

I've played a couple gigs now at the Meijer Gardens here in town, and when I go they ask me to play kid stuff, upbeat stuff, etc. So, that's why I've explored that area. Some of it I play on windsynth, but there's a lot of fun songs that work well on the whistle. The Banana Boat Song, even Popcorn plays well on the whistle.

Fun stuff! :)
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Some may consider this Irish, but it's not traditional...

It's not terribly surprising, but <a href="http://learningtowhistle.blogspot.com/2 ... on.html">I realized last night</a> that <a href="http://www.shanemacgowan.com/lyrics/lul ... l">Lullaby of London</a>, by the Pogues, sounds really nice on the whistle.
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

A really enjoyable one is "Long Time Ago" from Aaron Copeland's Old American Songs. Works well in D (Low and High) but best in Low A. (This is playing by ear having heard it. I'm not certain what key it is if playing along with an actual recording.)

"Time to Say Goodbye" (the one sung by Andrea Bocelli and also Sarah B) is also nice.
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

BrassBlower wrote:If you really wanna hear a jam band play whistles, check out Carbon Leaf! 8)
Carbon Leaf is great. I hate that I missed their recent show in Richmond. Maybe I'll be able to catch their Va Beach show in August.
Entropy
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson
Danner

Post by Danner »

I play what I like, what I feel like, and what expresses my emotions at the time. I don't play something traditional becasue it's traditional; I play it because that is how I feel. I don't play church music because it's Sunday morning; I play it because that is what I want to play at the moment...etc. Music is about self-expression isn't it? If trad is your style, go with it, and if it isn't, no big deal. I swing back and forth, but mostly I just play what touches my soul at that time.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

sheryl_coleman wrote:
Since I´m putting together a book for a different instrument, I´ve been trying out some clasical themes lately on whistle...

Sheryl
These are fairly playable:

1. Beethoven's "Ode to Joy"--it's really fun.
2. The theme used in Babe from Saint-Saens 3rd Symphony
3. Third part of Copeland's "Rodeo" --probably a bit more difficult but beautiful on the whistle

A great movie theme:
"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."
(D whistle--start on B note then to E and back and back, and on from there. Especially interesting on a Feadog.)