Your Greatest Fears

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Danner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Your Greatest Fears

Post by Danner »

I just heard something clicking on the ceiling in here, and it was a very large wasp. I went to get spray to kill it, and in the two seconds I was gone, it disappeared. (Now I'm cautiously sitting here with the spray no less than 2 inches from my hand.) I got to thinking that it would be interesting to see what people's top fears are (even if they're kind of stupid). Mine are (in order):
1. Somehow becoming disabled in a way that prevents me from playing flute & whistle (My TMJ is almost constantly with me, and I cringe at the thought of it. My biggest fear, though, is getting a finger cut off in an accident.)
2. Tornados (I live in Illinois, and every year there is a tornado within 20 miles of my house.)
3. Stinging insects (This is kind of stupid, but I am really freaked out by them. I've never been stung, but I think that being stung might actually cure my fear.)

Come on, it should be interesting to see what people say.

EDIT- I got the wasp!!! Yay :party:
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I can't think of anything I ordinarily encounter--bugs, animals, etc--that scares me. I actually really like bats, spiders, and snakes.
The idea of huge waves, like the kind mega-surfers crave, which are so big the surfer is dwarfed in the curl---those are really scary. Getting whacked by Atlantic 5 footers is unpleasant enough.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I (should) fear nothing but God.
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I have a irrational fear of Guinness stopping production :lol:
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
missy

Post by missy »

another one for tornados (was in an F4-5 in 1974)

Open steps. I have no idea why, although it may have something to do with the old house my grandparents had. Heights don't bother me at all - I have no problems running around on the roof of a house, putting shingles on.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Needles....bad phobia....even when I'm able to 'control myself' (by definition: hold still and let the nice phlebotomist do what s/he needs to do) I'm a basket case, I babble semi-coherently, my blood pressure goes through the floor, I have cold sweats and racing heart.

I haven't decked anyone yet, but I'm close to refusing medical treatment under most circumstances. I do nearly take out the a#$%^&* who has the stupidity to say 'calm down' or 'it doesn't hurt' or 'its not that bad' or some other thoughtless quip. I'm not afraid, and pain isn't the issue. Everyone who is any way related to the medical field should have some training in what a phobia is and what can and can't be done.

On the other side of the coin, I'm perfectly, utterly entirely comfortable with public speaking. I have no problem standing in front of people and giving a speech, teaching, reciting, or taking questions. Public speaking is still considered to be one of the all time fears.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I wig out in high places if there's nothing secure to hold on to. I ended up quitting my construction job out of sheer embarrassment.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Heights. At the San Diego Zoo I rode the sky-tram and as soon as it lifted off the ground, I sunk to the floor and clutched the pole going through the center of the car we were in. My sister-in-law kept telling me to get up, I was scaring my daughter, but I couldn't do it. I stayed where I was.

And for the same reason - airplanes. A friend of mine was flying me and my daughter in a small plane from San Diego to San Francisco and we made it as far as Palomar (about 5-10 minutes into the flight). I made him turn around and take us back. I was an absolute basket case. I used to fly on the big airlines when I was younger, but only if I was drunk. I couldn't do it now that I've stopped drinking.

And of course the standard - claustrophobia. I used to be unable to ride in an elevator, but I can do that now. :)

Susan
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

There is only one thing that freaks me out and that is speed.
Speed as in fast cars.Aeroplanes and trains are no problem but on the rare occasion I have to be in a car,I get scared s***less at anything over fifty miles an hour.It takes me fifteen minutes to cycle to work along a nice leafy green side road and the train station is ten minutes away.
I have never driven a car in my life.

Now, figure that one out :-?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Don't let me drive, then. Major leadfoot, here.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Whistling Willie wrote:I have a irrational fear of Guinness stopping production :lol:
Hell yes.
djm

Post by djm »

Desparate claustrophobe. Started after a training exercise in which we had to go through an obstacle course that included tunneling through a fifty foot 16" drainpipe half filled with sand. Naturally I got stuck, and had to wait for my squad to dig/drag me out. I still wake up in a sweat even though it was 30 years ago.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The usual fears of spiders(can't stand to touch a paper with a picture of one of the things- although I've had to work through it with all the ones I encounter in mail boxes in the fall), get weak and paralized with heights, although flying does not bother me. Bees, snakes, stuff like that dosen't bother me.

My greatest fear is for the future of my grandaughter and daughter.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Power hungry people in high power positions... scares the begeesus out of me...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Ants - especially the big carpenter ants that look back at you.

Thunderstorms, although I've gotten better in my old age.

Tornados.

Pretty much any of the stunts they do on Fear Factor! :wink:
Charlene