Looking for a whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
infantpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for a whistle

Post by infantpiper »

I'm looking for a whistle to accompany my brother as he plays his parlour pipes. His pipes are in the key of A. Any suggestions on a complimentary whistle/brand? I've been playing a Clarke pennywhistle in D for a bit, and would like to try something that stretches my fingers a little more . . . something in the realm of fingering distances for an Uilleann chanter?

Thanks!
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

An A whistle would suit well I would think, but to come close to the stretch of an uilleann chanter, you'll probably want to look at something closer to a low D or E whistle. Mack Hoover can make you a killer low A or D or whatever you need - give him a look...
infantpiper

Post by infantpiper »

Thanks very much for the advice . . . I'll take a look.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I duplicated this post on the other thread, but here goes.

Do parlour pipes play in A?

A low D or High D will play in A mixolydian very easily, which is (I believe) what you need for parlour pipes. If you want a flattened seventh below the bottom A on your scale (which is required in a zillion Scottish tunes) yer better off with a D whistle than an A whistle.

I think Overton makes so-called "Modal" whistles which add an extra hole for your bottom hand pinky. On a D-flute, this would be C. But for your needs, the ultimate whistle for playing along with scottish pipes would be an "A"modal whistle with an extra hole for low G.

Did that make any sense?

If parlour pipes play with a major seventh (ie a semitone below the tonic), then forget everything I typed out above.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
infantpiper

Post by infantpiper »

Thanks all for the advice.

Upon sharing your post with him, my brother agrees that the 'Modal' whistle in A with an extra hole for the low G would indeed be best . . . after spending some time looking for that particular model, however, I've come up empty handed.

Advice on makers of that particular key and model?

Thanks in advance!
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Try asking Colin Goldie (since he makes the Overton Modal) to make you one in A. He might be able to make you one special order. Are you sure the Pipes play in A not just written in A and play in Bb here is a link to his site http://www.overton.de/
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Hrrmmm do parlour pipes play sharp like the big 'uns? Hadn't considered that.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.