Which Flute players and low whistlers aught I listen to?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ninjaaron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Which Flute players and low whistlers aught I listen to?

Post by ninjaaron »

First step in learning to play an instrument: Listening to an instrument.

Second step: Practice

Third step: repeat steps one through three.

I'm having some trouble with step one due purely to ignorance. Your knowledge is the cure.
Everyone likes music
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

A great way to start is to by the WFO cd's for some great flute playing by lots of different players. www.worldtrad.org
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

My personal opinion?

Seamus Egan, Laurence Nugent, Matt Molloy, Joanie Madden, Hammy Hamilton, the flute player for Danu is great too (though I can't recall his name off the top of my head)...I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Seamus Egan is my flute player of choice, but the rest are fantastic as well.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Henke

Post by Henke »

Crysania wrote:Seamus Egan is my flute player of choice, but the rest are fantastic as well.
Same here. He's simply brilliant.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Henke wrote:A great way to start is to by the WFO cd's for some great flute playing by lots of different players. www.worldtrad.org
Yeah, lots of nice songs, but a great percentage of the playing seems to be less than adequate for learning from in my opinion. I have one and two and will NOT be buying any more of them.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Lightheaded Mike

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

If you haven't already, check out Brad Hurley's site for an almost dizzying array of recommended players. As for listening as part of learning, I came to flute playing without much tradition behind me, and I found some of the masters a bit bewildering to listen to. Seamus Egan comes to mind. He has this wonderful, gulpy tone, but all of the stuff that I've heard from him is so lightning quick.
Brian Finnegan of Flook! is a popular player on low whistle. They're kinda groovy.
Mike
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Crysania wrote:
the flute player for Danu is great too (though I can't recall his name off the top of my head)
His name is Tom Doorley he is great. Also Kevin Crawford and Mike McGoldrick.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

:roll:

Any of you guys ever hear of Mary Bergin or somebody who plays the flute in a preMolloy style?
No I'm not returning...
Jack

Post by Jack »

MurphyStout wrote::roll:

Any of you guys ever hear of Mary Bergin or somebody who plays the flute in a preMolloy style?
Yes, I have heard of her.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Unseen122 wrote:
Crysania wrote:
the flute player for Danu is great too (though I can't recall his name off the top of my head)
His name is Tom Doorley he is great. Also Kevin Crawford and Mike McGoldrick.
*smacks forehead* How could I forget Kevin Crawford? I just ordered his D Flute album...big duh on my part!

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

As have I...almost mentioned her...but I don't know enough about her playing style. I take it you don't like the people who have been mentioned? Who's YOUR flute player of choice?

I also enjoy Paddy Carty's playing...really do need to pick up a good copy of his album...

~Crysania
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Micho Russell,Willie Clancy,Jack Coen,Josie McDermott and Sean Potts get my vote as recommended listening for new and more experienced players.
There is always something to learn by listening to master musicians.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Perhaps the earlier posters noticed that the question stipulated low whistlers. I think that would-be low whistlers should also listen to the better high whistlers but this view isn't so obvious as to warrant an eye-roll.

Some flute players worth checking out are Paddy Carty, Seamus Tansey, Harry Bradley and Conal O Grada. On low whistle, others who are excellent are Brendan Ring and and Dermott Hyde. Of course, you would do well to listen to older whistle players like Bergin, Micho Russell and Willie Clancy. (Gee, who am I calling Mary Bergin old?)
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Wombat wrote: Perhaps the earlier posters noticed that the question stipulated low whistlers. I think that would-be low whistlers should also listen to the better high whistlers but this view isn't so obvious as to warrant an eye-roll.
And frankly, I don't see what's wrong with listening to newer players anyway. To each their own I suppose. I admit, I don't listen to too many older flute/whistle players (though I do have some lovely recordings of some)...I seem to tend to pick up recordings of old fiddlers instead...no idea why (in general I have more fiddle music that flute and whistle stuff).

~Crysania
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Wombat wrote:Of course, you would do well to listen to older whistle players like Bergin, Micho Russell and Willie Clancy. (Gee, who am I calling Mary Bergin old?)
Yeah, I almost spilled my coffee, seeing you lump Mary in with Micho Russell in the 'old' category. I am not sure she'd be pleased... :)