How often do you watch soap operas?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How often do you watch soap operas?

A LOT!
3%
I'm a frequent viewer.
No votes
While in Paris, Bradvon cheated on me with another man, then murdered his ex-wife's dead sister's psychic's priest's illegitimate daughter who is really his long-lost evil step-twin!
No votes
Every once in a while.
8%
Never ever
78%
Other answer (explain).
13%

Total votes: 40

Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

This is going to sound really odd to you folks....
I am a 25 year old, straight, happily married man with one daughter...
And I am an avid fan of General Hospital.
My mother has watched the series since before I can evern remember, and when I was out of school I used to watch it with her, and in the process, got hooked. I can still remember storylines from years ago, like when those damn aliens came down from the planet Luna (or mebey it was the planet Lunasa.....) and other silly stories.
As I became an adult it became a passtime for my mother and I, and still continues as a reason to get together and spend time together until my wife gets home from work. I usually drop my daughet off at "grandma's" at 4am before I go to work and pick her up again at 1:30pm when I'm off, and we stick around and have lunch with her, watch GH and talk.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Tyler Morris wrote:This is going to sound really odd to you folks....
I am a 25 year old, straight, happily married man with one daughter...
And I am an avid fan of General Hospital.
My mother has watched the series since before I can evern remember, and when I was out of school I used to watch it with her, and in the process, got hooked. I can still remember storylines from years ago, like when those damn aliens came down from the planet Luna (or mebey it was the planet Lunasa.....) and other silly stories.
As I became an adult it became a passtime for my mother and I, and still continues as a reason to get together and spend time together until my wife gets home from work. I usually drop my daughet off at "grandma's" at 4am before I go to work and pick her up again at 1:30pm when I'm off, and we stick around and have lunch with her, watch GH and talk.
It doesn't sound weird at all. I know a lot of young "straight" men who watch soap operas behind closed doors.

They also wear feathers. ;)
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Hmmmm. Depends on how you count. I don't watch American 'Soap Operas', but I do
watch Japanese 'Dorama' (dramas), which are like soap operas except that they're usually
13 episodes long, with a beginning, middle, and an end...

--Chris
Danner

Post by Danner »

I know that their called soap operas because ladies used to watch them during the day, and soap companies had ads during them for the housewives who were watching. I don't know about the opera part.

BTW- I don't watch any TV outside of the old classics (Leave it to Beaver, Andy Griffith, Bewitched, etc.) and shows on the Discovery, History, etc. channels.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Flyingcursor wrote: Trivia: Who played Matt Dillon on the radio version of Gunsmoke?
Oh. I know that one. It was the Fat Man off of Jake and the Fat Man.
Reasonable person
Walden
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

missy wrote:Charlene - you can have Barnabas - as long as I get Quentin!!!

I even had a Barnabas ring! You sent in 6 bubble gum wrappers and 50 cents for it. Last one I saw on eBay went for $250! I have NO idea what happened to mine (of course!).
I still want Josette's music box.

Missy
I want Josette's music box too! :lol: (and now I'm hearing the song in my head -thanks!)

Walden - I had no idea so many of the old ones were still on. How many versions of "Sue's having Joe's baby but she's married to Harry, but Harry was actually a woman years ago, and Joe is really Sue's father, even though she thinks her father was John, because Sue's mother seduced Joe when he was 15 and she was 25, and Sue really has a twin who is in a mental hospital ......." can they come up with??? :D
Charlene
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Charlene wrote:Walden - I had no idea so many of the old ones were still on. How many versions of "Sue's having Joe's baby but she's married to Harry, but Harry was actually a woman years ago, and Joe is really Sue's father, even though she thinks her father was John, because Sue's mother seduced Joe when he was 15 and she was 25, and Sue really has a twin who is in a mental hospital ......." can they come up with??? :D
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My aunt always called them "my stories". I did watch some when my youngest was a baby and I could only sit and hold her ALL DAY. A fussy child, and still that way....

I can remember wanting to watch Dark Shadows but we only got NBC.

A neighbor who was a farmer always quit work when Days of Our Lives was on. He would leave the field, barn or wherever he was working to go watch that show.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Walden wrote:
Charlene wrote:Walden - I had no idea so many of the old ones were still on. How many versions of "Sue's having Joe's baby but she's married to Harry, but Harry was actually a woman years ago, and Joe is really Sue's father, even though she thinks her father was John, because Sue's mother seduced Joe when he was 15 and she was 25, and Sue really has a twin who is in a mental hospital ......." can they come up with??? :D
You're probably right. :)
Charlene
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Danner wrote:I know that their called soap operas because ladies used to watch them during the day, and soap companies had ads during them for the housewives who were watching. I don't know about the opera part.
"Opera" was irony. That was to remind them to do the ironing after the laundering in the soap they bought thanks to the ads.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Nanohedron wrote:
Danner wrote:I know that their called soap operas because ladies used to watch them during the day, and soap companies had ads during them for the housewives who were watching. I don't know about the opera part.
"Opera" was irony. That was to remind them to do the ironing after the laundering in the soap they bought thanks to the ads.
Household cleaning products are still an important sponsor, and Proctor and Gamble outright produces some of the serials.
Reasonable person
Walden
phcook

Post by phcook »

No TV
Breizh soner
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Walden wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Household cleaning products are still an important sponsor, and Proctor and Gamble outright produces some of the serials.
Does Missy know about this :)

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
missy

Post by missy »

dubhlinn wrote:
"Does Missy know about this"

yeah - back up into the thread a bit! :D

Oh - and not to be nit-picky - but we get this all the time:
(actually had 10,000 people's business card come wrong once)

it's ProcT-E-R and Gamble.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

missy wrote:dubhlinn wrote:
"Does Missy know about this"

yeah - back up into the thread a bit! :D

Oh - and not to be nit-picky - but we get this all the time:
(actually had 10,000 people's business card come wrong once)

it's ProcT-E-R and Gamble.

Missy
:lol: :lol:

I seem to remember asking this question some months back...and it was your good self who filled me in with all the neccesary info...

I still have a notion about Emm in hot-pants...

Time Warp indeed..

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats