American Idol...alas

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

American Idol...alas

Post by Feadan »

The contestant who consistently does not stay on pitch gets chosen...or am I the only one who noticed this? :-? My wife got hooked on the show a few weeks back and from all the bits I've caught Carrie seems to always stray both sharp and\or flat. It is said there is no accounting for taste but....

Cheers,
David

P.S. Vonzell's vocal talents are far superior to Carrie's but since she isn't a white blond with a toothpaste grin (and favoring country music as well) :roll:

No great surprise I suppose
Last edited by Feadan on Wed May 25, 2005 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

The celebration has started here in the Republic of West Ozarkia! :D :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My wife and I watched the entire season. We both agreed that Bo and Carrie were the best of the bunch. (Nadia may have the most potential, but she shot herself in the foot with song selection.) I disagree with your opinion that Vonzell has better pitch than Carrie; Vonzell was truly atrocious sometimes. Carrie also has a much broader range in the types of music she can sing. I thought she did every bit as well doing Pat Benetar as doing Dixie Chicks. Vonzell pretty much turned everything she sang into a Whitney song.

I personally thought Bo should have won because there are fewer Bos out there than there are Carries, but not because I thought Carrie didn't deserve it.

PS -- I think Vonzell has damn near as much babe factor going for her as Carrie.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

BrassBlower wrote:The celebration has started here in the Republic of West Ozarkia! :D :D
Yes indeedy. Those billboards in Telsie Town paid off.
Reasonable person
Walden
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I'm actually glad Vonzell got bumped when she did. Winning American Idol would have hurt her career in the long run.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I can't stand that show but my mom loves it. Yes, I did watch one eisode and I did notice that Carrie's pitch was off.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Is this one of those TV things?

Should I get one?

Denny
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

Denny wrote:Is this one of those TV things?
Should I get one?
Umm...no. :lol:
emmline

Re: American Idol...alas

Post by emmline »

Feadan wrote: P.S. Vonzell's vocal talents are far superior to Carrie's but since she isn't a white blond with a toothpaste grin
I don't think any racial charges can fairly be lodged against AI, whatever else you might say about it.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

But I do think her All American good looks, couple with the crappiest original songs ever, did Bo in.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Denny

Post by Denny »

scottielvr wrote:
Should I get one?
...no to "TV things" or "get one"

I didn't like TV that much last time I saw it. Is Mitch Miller still doing a show?
Lawrence Welk?

Denny
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Denny wrote:
scottielvr wrote:
Should I get one?

I didn't like TV that much last time I saw it. Is Mitch Miller still doing a show?
Lawrence Welk?
Yeah... posthumously....
http://www.oeta.onenet.net/welk/index.html
Reasonable person
Walden
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

This is the only one of the American Idol shows I've mostly watched - the other years I've only seen bits and pieces. I liked Constantine. But I didn't vote, so I guess I can't gripe that he didn't make the finals.
Charlene
Denny

Post by Denny »

Walden wrote:
Denny wrote:
scottielvr wrote: Umm...no. :lol:

Lawrence Welk?
Yeah... posthumously....
http://www.oeta.onenet.net/welk/index.html
Figures, I guess. Grandpa used to watch them. 'course he has been gone for forty some years...
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Carrie can sing. Some of the songs were new to Carrie, and performing live in front of every one you know has got to be nerve-wracking. How many Chiffers have reported being flustered just playing whistle into a mic for recording? Magnify that about a million times and then imagine trying to sing on pitch with no teleprompter, no lyrics in front of you, singing a new song that no one knows. Knowing that the next 90 seconds may make or break your career. It is amazing to me that any amateur sings on pitch under those conditions.

I can remember one early round contestant that sounded nice while rehearsing in the restroom, but when it came time to sing for the judges, sounded like a dying bird. Nerves can and will do that.

I do think Bo got the short end of the songs. Carrie's final song was made popular by an Australian Idol winner, and was performed at the AI Christmas special. I believe that familiarity gave Carrie a big enough boost to win.

Carrie and Bo are the most marketable. Anwar, Vonzell, and some others had there moments, but I have no problems with the finalists. In the past, two out of four AI winners, Fantasia and Reuben were African Americans. So if there is any bias, it is the other way, that it is twice as hard for a white person to win as a black person, considering that two blacks have won and less than a third of all finalists from all seasons were black. Playing the race card here is inappropiate.

What is clear is that finalists from big cities have a tough time getting from week eight to week three. Small town voting where a finalist is big news is a decisive factor in the middle rounds. For that reason, I wasn't at all surprised to see Constantine and other big city contestants from previous seasons booted off during those middle weeks.

The most extreme example of local support was Jasmine from Hawaii where that state with 1% of the population usually weighed in with 5% or more of the total phone-in vote. That was enough to carry Jasmine to the top three. Even in a relatively sparsely populated county where Carrie is from, I'm sure they can muster many thousands of dedicated voters all on speed dial. That just isn't going to happen in New York, Philadelphia or other big cities.