First day of new class

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

First day of new class

Post by Flyingcursor »

I finished my first day of a new class yesterday. They really packed in the details.

The first hour was all about the history of the noble profession. How it was used to be handed down through the family and how jobs started to become scarce in the latter 19th century.

Then we spent two full hours going over the tools of the trade. First swords, then axes, two headed axes and so on. We then joined together to desecrate the guillotine as it really took the sport and skill away from the job.

After a little break we watched some films on the proper methods of beheading and what not to do. LOL. What a riot.
Did you know some headsmen had to take several swings to actually sever the darned thing? Man, we'd never graduate with a record like that!

For the last session we worked on sharpening techniques and how to clean our tools after a hard days lopping.

Tomrrow we're going to start practicing on small things like broom handles and work our way up to 2" thick oak by the end of the week. The thing is, it's not enough to be able to chop "through" the object. You have to be able to hit it in the right spot. I mean, honestly, how would it look to spectators if you hit between the shoulder blades?? :oops:

If we pass the "dull blade and blood" test we'll get to wear black hoods and move on to the final stretch where we can proudly call ourselves "Headsmen".

Of course there are job placement services available but that's not until the end of the class.

I knew you'd all be interested.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

hmmm - remind me NOT to leave you and Noah (my 14 year old) alone together this weekend - no telling what mischief you two would get into!!!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction in this course. Thanks for the heads up....ah off! I guess you have an axe to grind this morning, before you head to class?

MakrB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
djm

Post by djm »

Bring on them Protestants!!! :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Ever read any Gene Wolfe novels?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

FlyingCursor, soon to be appearing on a CSI near you! :o
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
missy

Post by missy »

Weeks wrote:
"FlyingCursor, soon to be appearing on a CSI near you!"

Or a Ren Fest:

"the heck with "Ye Ole Mud Show"..... We have the beheading of Mary, Queen of Scots!"

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
jsluder

Re: First day of new class

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:Did you know some headsmen had to take several swings to actually sever the darned thing?
Hence, "Nearly Headless Nick" of the Harry Potter books. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Flyingcursor wrote:After a little break we watched some films on the proper methods of beheading and what not to do. LOL. What a riot.
Yes, death throes crack me up every time, too. I wonder who they got to undergo the demo? :twisted:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:After a little break we watched some films on the proper methods of beheading and what not to do. LOL. What a riot.
Yes, death throes crack me up every time, too. I wonder who they got to undergo the demo? :twisted:
The old man who assisted Gene Wilder in the med-school lecture scene in "Young Frankenstein"?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I heard that the headsman use to be tipped by their... ...um... ...beheadee? Anyways one king that knew that his time was coming, tipped very well. Well, the headsman was a liker of the ale and was so drunk by the time of the act that it took him several tries. Best to have some one else hold onto the tip and tell them what they have to lose.

Hope you have a horse, heard that people are afraid of horseless headsmen.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Poor Charles

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Flyingcursor wrote:I finished my first day of a new class yesterday. They really packed in the details.

The first hour was all about the history of the noble profession. How it was used to be handed down through the family and how jobs started to become scarce in the latter 19th century.

Then we spent two full hours going over the tools of the trade. First swords, then axes, two headed axes and so on. We then joined together to desecrate the guillotine as it really took the sport and skill away from the job.

After a little break we watched some films on the proper methods of beheading and what not to do. LOL. What a riot.
Did you know some headsmen had to take several swings to actually sever the darned thing? Man, we'd never graduate with a record like that!

For the last session we worked on sharpening techniques and how to clean our tools after a hard days lopping.

Tomrrow we're going to start practicing on small things like broom handles and work our way up to 2" thick oak by the end of the week. The thing is, it's not enough to be able to chop "through" the object. You have to be able to hit it in the right spot. I mean, honestly, how would it look to spectators if you hit between the shoulder blades?? :oops:

If we pass the "dull blade and blood" test we'll get to wear black hoods and move on to the final stretch where we can proudly call ourselves "Headsmen".

Of course there are job placement services available but that's not until the end of the class.

I sure hope that before you actually get to "practice" your new profession, the instructors teach you the proper tool to use based on the soon to be departed's station in life. Imagine the embarrassment of using...say an ax on nobility? :oops: A faux pas like that could ruin you before you ever build up a decent clientele.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

... and... just where are you taking this class, and if I may,... why?...

perspiring minds want to know
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

cowtime wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:I finished my first day of a new class yesterday. They really packed in the details.

I sure hope that before you actually get to "practice" your new profession, the instructors teach you the proper tool to use based on the soon to be departed's station in life. Imagine the embarrassment of using...say an ax on nobility? :oops: A faux pas like that could ruin you before you ever build up a decent clientele.
But, cowtime, the sword or axe were reserved for the highborn. The indignity of hanging was for the rest of us. The headsman's tender mercies spared Lord Twaddleworth being the object of commentary while he danced at the end of a rope.