Which is better; Chieftain, Overton, Burke ????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
benbrad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Which is better; Chieftain, Overton, Burke ????

Post by benbrad »

I am probably only going to buy one high end soprano D whistle and so I need to know which one of these whistles is the one to buy; Chieftain, Overton or perhaps even Burke. Please tell me what you think, especially if you have been fortunate enough to be able to compare them. Thanks for your help.
Ben
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Do you REALLY think you'll only buy one high end whistle? :)

I laugh only because I think many of us have said that at one time or another.

I can weigh in a reply, but my experience is minimal with an Overton high D (nontunable) that I borrowed from a friend for a week, a Chieftain gold mezzo d (nontunable) that I just bought and have had for only a few days, a Burke DBSBT tunable d that I have had for about a month, but you didn't mention a price range, and there are other whistles you may want to consider, and I'm sure someone else will comment.

All three whistles you asked about are VERY different in just about every way. The Overton I played had the most back pressure with a sweet sound. "For me" . . . I found that it was different enough from my other high d's that I would need to play it much more, over the others, than I wanted, in order to get in synch with it's playing characteristics.

During my "search" for one high end whistle, many people encouraged me to get a Burke. It took awhile and a different whistle purchase, before I came around and bought the one I have. It has the purest sweetest tone of any of my whistles, and the transition between octaves is almost transparent in the effort it requires . . . very easy. It also has a low amount of back pressure. For the money, most people will direct you to the Burke. It's a fantastic value and you can choose alloy or brass or composite. I like brass.

The Chieftain gold mezzo d I have is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. It's tone is completely different from the Overton or Burke. This is a power whistle. It can get loud, and you can play it quieter. But if you don't lean into it, it can play a little flat, BUT that's the way it's designed. A high whistle for low whistle players. The tone is deeper, and I find that just like the other two, that once you get used to it, it is quite expressive and fun to play. Back pressure is almost the same as the Burke, but it takes a higher volume of air. What I like about it is that it has a "fatter" sound. You probably wouldn't need a mic at a small session.

Of the three, I found the Overton to take the most concentration to play (probably just me). The are all wonderful IMHO in their own special ways, but the kind of decision you are trying to make is one many of us have tried to do, and kept trying. If you can find a store or a friend or two that will let you try theirs out, that's the "safest" way to do what you are trying to do.

However, depending on your budget and the material type you are looking for, I'm sure there are other whistles you might want to consider. Also, let us know what whistles you have or have played. Give us an idea of the characteristics you are looking for in a whistle. I just got a new Water Weasel NT . . . and after playing it a bit last night, I'm thinking this might become one of my favorite whistles. Yes, it's cPVC, but it's a fun whistle. You can get in a tunable version as well. So you see, from my perspective, you can find a whistle you will really enjoy without breaking the bank. There are people on this board, as well as well-known musicians that play tweaked "cheapie" like Generations, and make them sound great. It's more the player than the whistle, but that's another post . . . .

I'm curious what kind of feedback you'll get, since this same question has been asked, via post, by myself and others.
Last edited by alespa on Tue May 24, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Well said, Alespa. I salute you.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

I wouldn't put my trust in any of the recommendations you might receive here. You could easily end up with a praised-to-the-heavens whistle you don't like. The only way to find a whistle that truly suits you is to play it. I know that finding opportunities to play different high-end whistles can be tricky, but there are surprising ways. A board member who lives near you can help you out, or you can find a session where players might let you play their tube for a while. Whistle makers are also very reasonable about offering trial periods.

Best,

Cara
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Byll, I salute you back :)

Cara is absolutely right too, go Cara go! :D

Your experience and playing level will definitely determine the best whistle for you "now".

matt
benbrad

High End Whistle Choice

Post by benbrad »

Alespa, you are right about wanting more than one high end whistle. I would truly love to buy them all, especially the expensive wooden ones that are so beautiful. I am trying to be practical, at least for now. I can buy one high end whistle now and I am sure I will buy more later but I don't know how long that will be. I have about five low whistles and eight soprano whistles now. I live in central Arkansas and I don't know anyone else nearby who plays whistle except my daughter and I got her started. So being able to try out different whistles before I buy one is not possible. The local music stores don't even stock them. Anyway, I want a metal whistle for right now and I have narrowed it down to one of these three due to what I have read on the internet and on this forum. I am an agressive and loud player but I like to play sweet and low too because I am a very moody person. Before playing whistle I played flute for over 30 years. I've only been playing whistle for about six or seven months and I don't think I'll go back to the flute any time soon. So you guys tell me what you think. I'd like to hold the price to $200.00 or less (preferably less). A used whistle in good condition is perfectly fine with me. Thanks.
Ben
jen f

Post by jen f »

Come to a session sometime! I have a Burke you can try, there is a Sindt in the group, and James has LOTS of different makes of whistles.

You can find upcoming sessions at the following web site, and you can sign up for e-mail reminders as well:
http://www.arcelts.com/
alespa

Post by alespa »

All three of the whistles you mentioned fit your budget. Unless you find someone to buy from, I think you may have to wait for the Overton. When I ordered my Burke, it only took a few days.
alespa

Post by alespa »

Jen has a great idea! I would do that for sure, even if you have to drive a little. The opportunity could be worth it.
benbrad

Ark Celtic Society

Post by benbrad »

I was just in Conway today. I get up there about once a month or so but hardly ever at night. I will try to check out one of the meetings. Thanks for the invite.
Ben
Jack

Post by Jack »

Overton.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If you're ever gonna be in Conway or thereabouts in the evening, give Jen or I a call. Even if there's not a "big session," chances are pretty good we might could put together a house session and knock off a few tunes with you if you'd like.

We've got a good bunch here in Conway, not nearly as many as at the big sessions, but we can still put together a decent little session of our own.

--James
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

The Undisputed attended college in Conway, Arkansas. Courted Mrs. Undisputed there. And they lived happily ever after.

Dale
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If the Undisputed (or even the Undisputeds) are ever in Conway, he (or they) would be most welcome. In fact, they would probably find friends eager to buy a meal for them. :)

Besides, if you're ever down this way, you have got to hear Jen play. She is an awesome player.

--James
RamblDoc

Plastic or Metal ?

Post by RamblDoc »

One thing you didn't mention is whether you will be happy with putting an all metal mouthpiece into your mouth. I don't like putting metal in my mouth and stopped buying Burke whistles because I didn't like my old-style mouthpiece on my Brass Session D.
Then I found out, much to my delight, that Mike Burke came out with his Black Tip model which is all Delrin at the part that goes into the mouth. I promptly bought a new Black Tip and will never part with it. I'd say 9 out of 10 Burke buyers love their Burkes, but they're not for everybody, I guess. The estimable Bloomfield, a devoted Overton owner, has never warmed up to the Burkes.
I don't like metal-in-the-mouth. The question is: Do you ?
I think you're smart to do some research. Good Luck. RamblDoc