Whistles that get better each time you play them?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Danner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistles that get better each time you play them?

Post by Danner »

Last night I was playing a bunch of airs on my Chieftain NR low D. I really love it, and each time I play it, I love it even more. Maybe I'm just getting better, but every time I pick it up it feels like a new whistle. It really seems magical, and each tune is so special that it feels like I'm hearing it for the first time, instead of the hundredth. Do you have whistles like this?
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
jmccain

Re: Whistles that get better each time you play them?

Post by jmccain »

Danner wrote:...Do you have whistles like this?
Yes, every one of them. And I think it's me - not them!

Best, John
Jack

Re: Whistles that get better each time you play them?

Post by Jack »

jmccain wrote:
Danner wrote:...Do you have whistles like this?
Yes, every one of them. And I think it's me - not them!

Best, John
I agree! :)
Danner

Post by Danner »

Maybe you aren't like this, but on some whistles, every time I play them, they seem worse because I get better playing on a good whistle, and I feel that when I play a lesser quality whistle, it holds me back.

I also have off days when I play most whistles, but I can't ever remember having an off day with the Chieftain.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

My generation Eb......I can't believe how amazing it is. It has everything I want in a whistle.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Danner wrote:Maybe you aren't like this, but on some whistles, every time I play them, they seem worse because I get better playing on a good whistle, and I feel that when I play a lesser quality whistle, it holds me back.

I also have off days when I play most whistles, but I can't ever remember having an off day with the Chieftain.
I agree with this, but most often I agree with the posters who said 'all of them - it's me'.

I have weeded out a very few for being just too off, but mostly I've decided to hang onto ones I origianlly thought I might *not* keep. As I improve, I like almost all of them better and better.

edited to correct an agregious error, LOL!
Last edited by anniemcu on Tue May 24, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I like the contrast of playing different whistles. I think I'll hang on to the ones that aren't my favorite, just so I can come home to the most wonderful ones.

The one that truly leaps to meet my ear's expectations is my Copeland Bb.

My Copeland D is really satisfying too. It's harder to play, harder than my Burke or Overton. But every time I pick it up after one of the others, I love its sound more.

Jennie
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Danner wrote:Maybe you aren't like this, but on some whistles, every time I play them, they seem worse because I get better playing on a good whistle, and I feel that when I play a lesser quality whistle, it holds me back.

Danner, I understand what you mean, but I have to disagree slightly. If you're anything like me, it's the not the whistle that is holding you back. It's lack of skill and the fact that you are more intimately familiar with the one that you've been playing more often.

I love my Burke, and would readily recommend them to any new whistler looking to purchase their first "high-end" whistle. When I'm playing tunes just for the pure pleasure of playing, it's usually my whistle of choice. However, over the past few months I've noticed that the challenges presented by my Feadog and my MellowGen (Gen C head on Mellow D tube) have helped me to improve my breath control and technique.

I would say that it's not a case of the cheapies holding you back, but that the high-end is helping to "lower the bar" so you sound better. That's not meant as a dig at you. It's just an observation from my own personal experience. The quality of my Burke makes it less challenging to play, which makes me sound better, and is why I choose to play it more often. However, the temperamental nature of my cheapies, demands a higher level of perfection that forces me to improve as a player.
Entropy
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

All of them. Except the Doolin two-piece.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
IrishLass

Post by IrishLass »

Entropy wrote:
the temperamental nature of my cheapies, demands a higher level of perfection that forces me to improve as a player.
I had never really thought about that before, but you are probably right. Maybe I need to pick up my Feadog for awhile, and see if it helps me to improve even more. Thanks! :)

Carolyn
"Sing to the Lord a new song" Psalm 149:1
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

I remember being taught long ago that learning to play well on an inferior instrument will make you all the more worthy of a good one if and when you get it.

I hadn't really thought about it very often since, but I think I really do understand that.

Some of the best musicians started out so determined to play that they fought and conquered the limits of a far less than ideal instrument. And that perseverence and ability to compensate proved a tremendous boost.

Just as one example, Libba Cotten taught herself to play her brother's guitar, hiding under the bed, holding it backward. No lessons, no tuning, no nothin' but the urge to play. That didn't hinder her joy in the music, and certainly didn't hinder her ability to play and write. It just made her do it differently than most. Not a bad thing alltogether.

Besides, look how many great whistlers started out with, and some still do play the "cheapos", like Generation.

Sometimes I think we put too much emphasis on the "perfection" and forget the *real* perfection, which is just playing and sharing what we have. (yeah, I know that's a bit corney and cheesey. Want a fork?" :D )
anniemcu
---
---
---
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

anniemcu wrote:I remember being taught long ago that learning to play well on an inferior instrument will make you all the more worthy of a good one if and when you get it.

I hadn't really thought about it very often since, but I think I really do understand that.

(...)

Besides, look how many great whistlers started out with, and some still do play the "cheapos", like Generation.
I'd better get the poor old horse out for another flogging: what you say assumes the cheaper whistles are inferior ones. I don't think they are.
Recordings made using them are there to prove it. Honestly.
Jan Erik

Post by Jan Erik »

Every time I break out the Davy Spillane Low D, it seems to improve! :lol:
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Peter Laban wrote:
anniemcu wrote:I remember being taught long ago that learning to play well on an inferior instrument will make you all the more worthy of a good one if and when you get it.

(...)

I'd better get the poor old horse out for another flogging: what you say assumes the cheaper whistles are inferior ones. I don't think they are.
Recordings made using them are there to prove it. Honestly.
Don't beat that horse... I'm already contrite. :)

I can see why you think that, but that was not what I meant. I meant that the *assumption* is that "cheapos" (that's why I put it in quotes) are inferior, but the obvious fact is that those who play well still play them, so it is clearly not a case of them being inferior. Sometimes I use too many words and still don't get my real point across.

edited to correct spelling, and to add:
Thanks for calling me on that.
anniemcu
---
---
---
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

You're welcome, it's my pet peeve obviously. You'd know what I mean if you had heard the same recordings I have been listening to the past few days. :wink: