What is a Protestant?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Is a Protestant a Christian who is not Catholic? That's the sense I often hear and see it used. ..By this definition the Orthodox Church(es) is Protestant.
The orthodox church *is* a catholic church; the RCs require the modifier "roman" to specify that they are the roman catholic church.

The Church of England is another catholic church.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

peeplj wrote:
emmline wrote:
djm wrote: I hear it used for the Presbyterians, but they were actually the remains of the early RC church in Scotland (still swear by the apostles' creed, etc.)
Are you saying that other Protestant branches don't use the Apostles' Creed?
I grew up Church of Christ and had never even heard the term "Apostles' Creed" until visiting other churches.

By the way, for whatever it's worth, I don't think "Protestant" really does much to describe a given religion or member anymore. I divide the Christians up this way:

--Right-wing (Catholic, Fundamentalist-Evangelical, Holiness);
--Centrist or "Mainstream" Churches (I would put Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, along with others);
--Liberal or Left-wing (Universalist/Unitarianism, some Episcopalean)
--Separatist / Isolationist (broad category, includes Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, other religions who see themselves as either completely apart from society, or wanting to be)

--James
I've never heard it in a Baptist church either.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Cranberry wrote:
Redwolf wrote:The reason Mormons weren't considered "Protestant" is because most Christian sects don't consider them to be Christian.
I don't think most Christian sects should get to decide who is really Christian, though. "Most Christian sects" could say the sky is red and it wouldn't make it so.
Who else but the Christian sects should decide? The Buddhists? You're "sky is red" example sucks because you are in the realm of definition, not of observation. And no, I don't want a cookie.
Mabey I'm in the minority here, but I think Christ himself will decide who is worthy of being called "Christian," not us. In the meantime it's just a matter of respect that Mormons consider themselves to be Christians--it seems overly technical to say, "No, you are not like us so you are not a real Christian."
Everybody believes that Christ/God himself will decide who is worthy in the end (except Muslims, Buddhists, etc.). That goes without saying and has nothing to do with how sects and churches define themselves now. And the Mormons can jump up and down until their blue in the face, it's not going to affect whether the Anglicans (or whoever) only consider those faiths Christian that accept the trinity (or whatever other criterion of "Christianity" is chosen). And frankly, why would the Mormons care? These labels and definitions don't actually mean anything, and it strikes me as silly to first ask "how everyone uses the term" and then to bring in Judgement Day and Christ sitting to the right of God, and all.
/Bloomfield
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

So much depends on perspective.

When viewed from an external perspective, the differences between churches in most of Christendom seem very trivial, of major interest only to their participants.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, either. There is fairly free movement between "flavours;" it's not at all unusual for someone to be raised in one sort of church and wind up "converting" to another due to a marriage, say, or because one group seems to line up with a person's beliefs or personality more than another. The fact that they are so much the same makes this a fairly painless process.

Finally, as to who gets the "true Christian" label, I would think that would be between a believer and his God, and not for any other man to decide. Although I have noticed that many "believers" have no hesitation to put word in the God's mouth. I suppose they are confident of His forgiveness; since that behavior is so particularly annoying to the humans made in His image, I would suspect He would find it most annoying as well. After all, if you believe in God, don't you automatically have a belief that His wisdom exceeds yours?

--James

--- o --- O --- o ---

Definition of a fanatic: someone who says what God would have said if God had thought of it first. :P
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

Cranberry wrote:
Redwolf wrote:The reason Mormons weren't considered "Protestant" is because most Christian sects don't consider them to be Christian.
I don't think most Christian sects should get to decide who is really Christian, though. "Most Christian sects" could say the sky is red and it wouldn't make it so.

Mabey I'm in the minority here, but I think Christ himself will decide who is worthy of being called "Christian," not us. In the meantime it's just a matter of respect that Mormons consider themselves to be Christians--it seems overly technical to say, "No, you are not like us so you are not a real Christian."
Actually your example can be used the other way. Just because the Mormons say they are Christian doesn't make it so, just like if they insisted the sky was red it would still be blue. Being "Christian" entails a great many things which are not part of Mormonism. It is not overly technical, it is a matter of accuracy.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm actually coming to think it's more a matter of semantics.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

By the way, for whatever it's worth, I don't think "Protestant" really does much to describe a given religion or member anymore.
"Protestant" has some specific theological and organizational meaning which is distinct from catholicism.

The protestant reformation/revolution was about (as are all revolutions) who's ultimately in charge.

Catholic churches feature a mediated (ie, with priests) relationship between God and the worshipper, have a hierarchical structure (bishops appoint priests), and have saints.

Protestants have a direct relationship with God, unmediated by anyone--church leaders are simply respected scholars, but are not essential for worship the way a priest is to a mass. In a protestant church, the congregation appoints and can fire the priest. There are no bishops and there is no pope/archbishop/patriarch etc.

In a catholic church, the priest controls the sacraments, and can decided who does or does not deserve them. This cannot happen in a protestant church, because each worshipper is responsible for their own relationship with God.

Catholic church structure is imperial (ie, directly modelled upon the roman empire) while protestant churches are democratic.

And protestant churches do not recognise sainthood; that's a catholic thing.

Protestants place great emphasis upon scripture, ie the bible. If it ain't there, it ain't christian, as far as they're concerned. In contrast, the RCs have a lot of doctrine which comes from elsewhere; from St. Augustine or from Thomas Aquinas, for example.
Last edited by s1m0n on Mon May 23, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

The term Protestant does vary a bit according to context. You get a fairly broad definition, for example, if you are choosing between a Protestant, Jewish, or Roman Catholic chaplain.

I think, generally speaking, the idea of idealogical descent from the reformers is a lot of it. There are three main theological schools (broadly speaking) that Protestants fall into. The first is the Lutheran, the second is the Calvinist, and the third is the Arminian.

All of these insist they believe in justification by faith, the Holy Trinity as traditionally understood, the sufficiency of Scripture, grace, .

Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Unitarians, and some of these others are not considered, either by themselves or by Protestants, as being Protestant, because their beliefs are significantly different, though they have historical roots in Protestantism.

Calvinism: Presbyterians, Congregationalists, Reformed Church, some forms of Baptists, etc.

Arminianism: Methodists, Wesleyans, Holiness, Nazarene, Trinitarian Pentecostals, some forms of Baptists, etc.

Lutheranism: Evangelical Lutheran Church, Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod, Church of Sweden, etc.

19th-20th Century liberalism and fundamentalism have blurred these groupings a bit. Some who were once further apart (Methodists and Presbyterians, for example) now seem closer aligned, while others who were once pretty close seem farther apart.

They aren't neat categories. It could be argued that Anabaptists are a 4th category, and their history is sometimes called the "Radical Reformation," and the Baptists could be seen as a combination of Anabaptist elements with Calvinist and Arminian elements.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Cranberry wrote:What is a Protestant?
Yes, Cranberry. What is a Protestant (and a great second baseman he is, too).

Best wishes,
Jerry
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

s1m0n wrote:In a protestant church, the congregation appoints and can fire the priest. There are no bishops and there is no pope/archbishop/patriarch etc.
This does vary. Several Protestant denominations, including some historic Lutheran ones do have episcopal hierarchies.
s1m0n wrote:And protestant churches do not recognise sainthood; that's a catholic thing.
This isn't entirely so. What Protestants don't generally believe in is invocation of saints and veneration of icons.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

Not that it helps any, but I had originally thought I included this link in my original post as one of the places I'd checked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestantism

(It's rather fitting to this discussion that it has an "accuracy dispute" notice at the top of the page.)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote: (It's rather fitting to this discussion that it has an "accuracy dispute" notice at the top of the page.)
As will any attempt to define Protestantism. :lol:
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

Walden wrote:
Cranberry wrote: (It's rather fitting to this discussion that it has an "accuracy dispute" notice at the top of the page.)
As will any attempt to define Protestantism. :lol:
Hehe...I think I agree. :P
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

This isn't entirely so. What Protestants don't generally believe in is invocation of saints and veneration of icons.
It goes beyond that. In a protestant church there is no body capable of recognising or conferring sainthood. You might see specific biblical characters (ie Joseph, Mary & the evangelists, or the "national" saints Andrew, George, etc) referred to as saints, but that no official doctrinal or theological significance to it. And the list is closed; there are no new saints. Even pre-reformation figures like St Francis do not count as saints in a protestant church.

C.S. Lewis
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

s1m0n wrote:
It goes beyond that. In a protestant church there is no body capable of recognising or conferring sainthood. You might see specific biblical characters (ie Joseph, Mary & the evangelists, or the "national" saints Andrew, George, etc) referred to as saints, but that no official doctrinal or theological significance to it. And the list is closed; there are no new saints. Even pre-reformation figures like St Francis do not count as saints in a protestant church.
Again, however, it depends on who you ask.

If you ask the Roman Catholic Church, I am a Protestant. I belong to a church that repudiated Roman authority at the time of the Reformation, and was declared excommunicate. My church is, sadly, not in communion with Rome (though, oddly enough, we seem to have found ourselves in communion with at least one branch of Lutheranism).

On the other hand, the church of which I am a member has bishops (in fact, our very name -- Episcopal -- means "governed by bishops"), recognizes saints and, yes, declares new ones. We have the entire Roman Catholic calendar, as well as a few of our own. We also recognize apostolic succession, and seven sacraments (which can only be validly consecrated by a priest).

To the Protestant side, however, our individual parishes are self-governing and yes, we decide when to hire and to fire a priest. Oh yes...and we celebrate Reformation Day. Perhaps it would help to note that the branch of this church in the U.S. is officially known as "The Protestant Episcopal Church of the U.S.A."

As far as whether we consider ourselves Catholic or Protestant, probaby the majority of our membership would call themselves "Protestants." Certainly we tend to get ourselves listed under "Protestant Churches" in the Yellow Pages. A few would call themselves "Catholics" (myself included), but would generally preface that with "Anglo." We refer to the Pope, respectfully, as the Western Patriarch and the Bishop of Rome, but look to the Archbishop of Canterbury as our "first among equals."

So you see, it's not nearly as clear-cut as you might think.

As far as the Mormons go, they can call themselves whatever they like. No one's stopping them. They are, however, as different, theologically, from historical Christianity (both Protestant and Catholic) as Muslims are different from Jews (or, for that matter, as Christians are different from both Muslims and Jews), and I say we have the same right to stand up and say "hey, wait a minute. This is NOT Christian doctrine!". My point was that the Protestants at that convention weren't excluding them because they didn't consider them "Protestant," but because they didn't consider them Christian in any way, shape or form (and, in that respect, they are in line with what Christians have believed for close to 2000 years)...and they have as much right to do so as the Mormons have to insist on the title.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!