British Humour

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mukade
antispam: No

Post by mukade »

I read a book, the title escapes me, which echoed my experiences working with Americans and Brits.

The basic idea was that humour is a normal part of discourse in the UK, and Brits use it in many situations where Americans do not.
This is why, to a Brit like me, watching David Brent in The Office is more painful than funny. Humour is a social lubricant, and when someone is using the wrong oil, it causes friction.

This 'ordinary' humour is also responsible for the myth that Americans don't understand sarcasm.
Of course Americans understand it, they just don't use humour as often, or in the same way.

Mukade
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I tried to get some answers on this a few months ago. I asked if posts were supposed to be funny and everyone thought I was being obnoxious. I only wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some cultural humor.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Unless its using jargon that I have never heard, I always get British humour and jokes. I just think that its sometimes a bit more playful and subtle, like the first joke.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: British Humour

Post by Tyler »

Martin Milner wrote:Bsuker Sean's thread reminded me of a Joke Beth told me as an example of British Humour:

1st Man: A friend of mine goes down to the ocean every day and plays his cello to the seals.

2nd Man: Really?

1st Man: Of course, they don't take a blind bit of notice...

I very nearly busted a gut at this one, do you guys find it funny? Is it a good example of British Humour? Do you have a good British joke? What makes British Humour different to American Humour (apart for the u, say).
I thought it was quite funny!
I LOVE British comedies...hell, look at my post signature and tell me which one is my all time favorite!
I also LOVE "Last of the Summer Wine"
That show is my retirement plan! :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I would say the seal joke works on a couple of different levels.

The first is that, if one is passing on information, then the average Brit (AB) assumes there's some value in it. Therefore if a man is playing his cello to the seals, the listener assumes they are listening to the music. Thus the fact that they don't is unexpected, and this funny. It's liike having a news broadcast saying "Nothing Happenned in Milton Keynes toady

The subtler humour, which only just occurred to me, is that the AB doesn't not encourage people to show off, or act up. The seals are acting in a very British way when ignoring the buffoon with the cello, and this British attitude in a seal is funny. If you've ever walked past a herd of cows, you will know that not all animals show the same disdain.

I think the folks have got it right who say that the British use humour in almost all their conversations. In the office here we hear people laughing all the time, and jokes abound. I wouldn't agree one has to laugh like a drain though.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Hmm, that's interesting, Martin. For me the humor was different, but I'm just an American after all. What struck me funny was that the guy *knows* the seals aren't listening but still plays for them, which is what reminded me of my dad's joke.

Carol
mukade

Post by mukade »

The Weekenders wrote:Unless its using jargon that I have never heard, I always get British humour and jokes. I just think that its sometimes a bit more playful and subtle, like the first joke.
Remember, people who tell jokes ARE David Brent.

The joke is the least respected part of British humour.
The Monty Python boys did their best to rid us entirely of the punch-line.

Mukade
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

cskinner wrote:Hmm, that's interesting, Martin. For me the humor was different, but I'm just an American after all. What struck me funny was that the guy *knows* the seals aren't listening but still plays for them, which is what reminded me of my dad's joke.

Carol
You're right Carol, I'd missed that line of it. That adds a third strand of humour. :)
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

cskinner wrote:Hmm, that's interesting, Martin. For me the humor was different, but I'm just an American after all. What struck me funny was that the guy *knows* the seals aren't listening but still plays for them, which is what reminded me of my dad's joke.

Carol
Just because you are American does not mean that a sense of appreciation of the British sense of humor cannot be developed.
I, personally, prefer British humor
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

This is interesting because the things we are finding to make the seal joke funny are so different. The things that cskinner and martin wrote never occurred to me and don't ring a bell for me. I had to work to make it funny, which means I didn't get it, but I finally found a way to look at it which is almost the opposite of martin's. I thought it was funny that the man was nutty enough to make a comment about the expected behavior of the seals---I don't expect them to listen to the cello.
emmline

Post by emmline »

The seal joke fell with a thud for me as print humor. After reading the commentary from others, it occurs to me that I might very well find the exchange entertaining if I could see the two characters having the conversation, and hear their attitudes. Perhaps a key to this, then, is that the AB (MarMil's acronym) is more able, due to total cultural immersion, to instantly assign the words to the "right" sort of speaker to make the joke funny.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Martin Milner wrote:Nothing Happenned in Milton Keynes toady
Please don't keep calling me Toady.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Okay, that was funny.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Aye !
...but if the shoe fits, Toady...
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

To me, the main difference has always been that the British humor assumes that you have some wit with which to figure it out and so don't have to be slapped in the face with the crudity... although that certainly doesn't discount the value of the occaisional slap with something crude.

edited for clarity (I hope)
Last edited by anniemcu on Mon May 23, 2005 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com