Davy Spillane Low D Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Well I am married and my husband is a man. But if you are actually cleaning the garage you are doing a lot better than either one of us. We are both so bad at household jobs that neither can fault the other---there could be worse situations I suppose. :lol: [He does work very hard at his job, so I am really the guilty party as far as the house goes.]

Although it is HIS STUFF that is the worst problem.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cynth wrote:Well I am married and my husband is a man. But if you are actually cleaning the garage you are doing a lot better than either one of us. We are both so bad at household jobs that neither can fault the other---there could be worse situations I suppose. :lol: [He does work very hard at his job, so I am really the guilty party as far as the house goes.]

Although it is HIS STUFF that is the worst problem.
There was a story just last night on National Public Radio, the well known "liberal media" propaganda channel ( :roll: ) about the rapid growth in the household storage industry...you know the giant walk-in storage closets you can rent for your extra stuff. The guy says that since 1960, the world has acquired more consumer goods than in all human history prior to 1960.

Since about 1996, I've accumulated more whistles than any other known person for the rest of human history up until 1996. Unless maybe it was JessieK. Or Jim D. Or somebody else.

Dale
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

cavefish wrote:well i dont know where you get your info on spillanes whistle but it is all wrong, he used to play modified overtons but then they got into an differance of opinion and spillane when his way and makes them himself and sometimes modifies them to a sharp or a flat, he does not use plastic heads
Prove it.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nice review Bloom. Wow. I could actually hear you breathing--proof that the Bloomster is actually a living mammal of mystery.
I found Phil's comments (quoted by Dale,) interesting and relevant. I have no opinion as to the ethics of the situation.

How stinking that I actually missed this thread until just a couple minutes ago when I opened Walden's Excellence in Posting thread in the Pub. This is why I don't like divestiture.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Hey, I just realized something (in addition to my torn arm tendon) - Bloomfield is a big troublemaker! :lol:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
cavefish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

as far as proving it , the only way to prove it is to bring names into the picture, somebody already did this with colin goldie, and it did not please him , all i can say is that i had my whistle made from bernerd overton himself through a mutual friend who knows and played with spillane i have had his phone number given to me from spillane,and was told to call if any advice was needed, - i have never called on that subject because it was never any of my buisness, although i tend to believe my friend and what i have seen in the past, spillane is one of the best innovative players around , and like all people in the lime light. someome else always thinks they have found the secrets to their success and that causes rumours. Davy,s whistles are all aluminium (tweeked and natural). with reverb and echo and a very good control of air expansion. like i said he is a pro thats his secret. not the whistle
Stu H

Post by Stu H »

cavefish wrote:all i can say is that i had my whistle made from bernerd overton himself
Would this not be a bit messy?
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

cavefish wrote:as far as proving it , the only way to prove it is to bring names into the picture, somebody already did this with colin goldie, and it did not please him , all i can say is that i had my whistle made from bernerd overton himself through a mutual friend who knows and played with spillane i have had his phone number given to me from spillane,and was told to call if any advice was needed, - i have never called on that subject because it was never any of my buisness, although i tend to believe my friend and what i have seen in the past, spillane is one of the best innovative players around , and like all people in the lime light. someome else always thinks they have found the secrets to their success and that causes rumours. Davy,s whistles are all aluminium (tweeked and natural). with reverb and echo and a very good control of air expansion. like i said he is a pro thats his secret. not the whistle
I'm a bit confused. In general I've stayed out of these conversations, but the fact is that reverb and echo have zero, nada, zilch to do with whistle or whistler. It has to do with the nice tech behind the electronic board.

If 'Davy's whistles are all aluminum' how the *&^% did Bloo get a hold of a plastic headed whistle?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

cavefish wrote:as far as proving it , the only way to prove it is to bring names into the picture, somebody already did this with colin goldie, and it did not please him , all i can say is that i had my whistle made from bernerd overton himself through a mutual friend who knows and played with spillane i have had his phone number given to me from spillane,and was told to call if any advice was needed, - i have never called on that subject because it was never any of my buisness, although i tend to believe my friend and what i have seen in the past, spillane is one of the best innovative players around , and like all people in the lime light. someome else always thinks they have found the secrets to their success and that causes rumours. Davy,s whistles are all aluminium (tweeked and natural). with reverb and echo and a very good control of air expansion. like i said he is a pro thats his secret. not the whistle
Bombastic analysis. Absolutely bombastic!
Last edited by StewySmoot on Sun May 22, 2005 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Reverb and echo may be nice for "special effects," but if you don't sound good without them, you're not going to sound all that great with them, either.

cavefish, you've had an interesting history in the short time you've been on the boards. I was looking through your previous postings, which anyone on the boards can do. It makes for interesting reading.

--James
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Darn you, James! I'm supposed to be working and instead I just read all of cavefish's posts. But you're right. They're interesting.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Nah....all the signs of a friend of Talbert.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

DaleWisely wrote:you know the giant walk-in storage closets you can rent for your extra stuff.
A long time ago I heard George Carlin do a routine on TV about "stuff". I actually found it at this website:
http://www.writers-free-reference.com/f ... ory085.htm

It was funnier with him doing it, but it still seems as profound now as it did to me then.

You have a whistle museum. Museums are fine things.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

PhilO wrote:Hey, I just realized something (in addition to my torn arm tendon) - Bloomfield is a big troublemaker! :lol:

Philo

:lol: But he just posted a nice fair review....he is mysterious.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

(hijack)
Cynth wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:you know the giant walk-in storage closets you can rent for your extra stuff.
A long time ago I heard George Carlin do a routine on TV about "stuff". I actually found it at this website:
http://www.writers-free-reference.com/f ... ory085.htm

It was funnier with him doing it, but it still seems as profound now as it did to me then.

You have a whistle museum. Museums are fine things.
Yesterday I was listening to WERU, streaming on the internet, and heard this song. For a while I ignored it because it was done in that a capella harmony I associate with Christian revival music...then I heard the refrain and had a good laugh....

ARTIST: Austin Lounge Lizards
TITLE: On the Other Shore
Lyrics and Chords

As we reach the twilight hours of our fleeting earthly time
And know we will not see the sun tomorrow
We may think with deep regret of all the things we leave behind
But oh, my friends, do not give in to sorrow

/ DG D DG D / DG A DG D / :

On the other shore, on the other shore
We will reunite with all the things we ever owned before
Our single socks will all be to their rightful pairs restored
We'll meet all our possessions on the other shore

/ DG D DG D / DG D - A / DG D - G / G D DA D /

As we near those golden sidewalks floating on the clouds above
Assuming heaven is our destination
We may glance behind for one last look at everything we love
But truly there's no call for reservations

We'll have piles and piles of jeans we can't fit into anymore
We'll wear all those crazy cowboy shirts we got from Fred Labour

We'll find books we bought in college and sold for half-price unread
And sacks and sacks of earring backs lost under someone's bed
And baseball cards and army men and model planes galore
And every tiny plastic high-heel Barbie ever wore

/ GC G GC D / DG D DG A / :

We'll have giant storage units free of charge for evermore
Where our tax receipts will all be saved in bags upon the floor
We'll meet all our possessions

We'll find National Geographics from 1974
Our children's art will cover God's refrigerator door

(endjack)