Olwell Pratten

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MurphyStout »

Murrays are Rudall styled with mediumish holes. Very good flutes and they aren't watered down like G&#$*ers and O*&#lls.
No I'm not returning...
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

MurphyStout wrote:Murrays are Rudall styled with mediumish holes. Very good flutes and they aren't watered down like G&#$*ers and O*&#lls.
Yeah. . . I have actually played the flute in question, but at the time I had been playing for all of 2 weeks so I had no idea what to look/listen for.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

MurphyStout wrote:Murrays are Rudall styled with mediumish holes. Very good flutes and they aren't watered down like G&#$*ers and O*&#lls.
Mmmm. Being the fortunate curator of a Murray and the equally-fortunate regular "hearer" of an Olwell being put thru exceptionally rigorous paces, I don't know if "watered down" is the phrase I'd use for an Olwell. Actually, the Olwells I know are ballsier than Murrays, but of course, they're Prattens, so they've got a bigger bottom.

The trap I think people fall into with Olwells is that they can be SO easy to play -- partially because they're so incredibly well-made -- that many Olwell owners are satisfied with the sound they get out of the box and don't push the flute much beyond that. But in my playing and listening experience, Olwells can be pushed -- and more important, respond wonderfully to the pushing. Where most other flutes will break their tone, Olwells can just keep going.

That said, I love my Murray like a child and am amazed every time I play it; I can't imagine a flute getting any more responsive and throaty than it can.

However, it doesn't boom quite like my Pratten. And I'm just a sucker for that foghorn sound.

P.S. Jack, if your experience is like mine, your Hammy is training you well for your Murray when it comes. :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Of course that's just my opinion regarding O*(*#ls and Gr&^%#rs. Yours may vary.
No I'm not returning...
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I'm inclined to agree with MurphyStout. That's not to say that such flutes aren't capable of sounding great, but I find them a bit one-dimensional. I had a chance to play a couple of Rod Cameron Rudalls, and they were superb, with an amazing capacity for expression and color.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Jessie sold me the best flute I've ever played and that is and it's an Olwell unkeyed. I also use his headjoint on a Seth Gallagher keyed body.

kp
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

MurphyStout wrote:It's not really giving up.. I sound decent on the Hammy but I just prefer the sound of myself on a Rudall styled flute. I can play those in autopilot and everything is soooo effortless.

But don't hold your breath, I won't be selling the hammy. . .
Ditto to all the above for me. I've only had the Hammy a couple of months, and I'm gonna give it at least another year or two. Somehow I don't see myself selling it at all because it's SO different from my other flutes.
How is an Olwell Rudall-style watered down? I played an exact duplicate of Chris Norman's Rudall at Olwell's place and asked him to make me one of those. He said his Rudall model is the same flute with a couple of tone holes tweaked to play easily at modern pitch and the Olwell embouchure cut, which is just a teensy bit wider.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

I have a Pratten style flute made by D. Allen and whilst the tone was good when I got it, after a year of playing I have to say that it is now very focussed if I want it to be - you really have to put the time in with a Pratten to get the most out of it. More than two or three days none playing and it can take several days for me to get the sound I like back. That aside if you push a Pratten it will wake the dead and i just love the feeling of my flute jumping underneath my fingers when I'm really giving it some stick. I have found big hard cranning to be no problem at all. It's just a case of getting out what you put in
Yes of course it was meant to sound that way!
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I've owned a Dave Williams Rudall & Rose replica for some years now, but could never get a decent sound out of it as I never bothered to play it. I took it to Willie Week in the late ´90's and a couple of decent flute players had a blow and couldn't get the bottom end notes to sound. I was told it was probably leaking. Now since I've been playing the flute on a regular basis this last year or so it's really come into it's own and has a powerful bottom end, can be played very loud, and is easy to play. The problem before was me, my lack of technique, and lack of practicing, nothing at all wrong with the flute. I can imagine that the same applies to these Pratten/R&R Grinter's, Olwells, Murray's etc. They're all decent instruments, it's the players that need to practice and improve and get to learn their respective instruments.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

chas wrote:How is an Olwell Rudall-style watered down? I played an exact duplicate of Chris Norman's Rudall at Olwell's place and asked him to make me one of those. He said his Rudall model is the same flute with a couple of tone holes tweaked to play easily at modern pitch and the Olwell embouchure cut, which is just a teensy bit wider.
I've never played an Olwell Rudall, I was refering to his Pratten models.
No I'm not returning...
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I'm getting much better on the Byrne rudall, which is becoming
something very beautiful sounding. Lots of work learning to play it,
still at it.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

The Olwell I have WANTS TO PLAY! There are no eccentricities to it that stand in the players way whatsoever. Patrick is amazing for a good reason.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I learned something tonight--if you're going to play
blues and such with other instruments, a Pratten is a good thing to have.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

The Jazz flute scene from "Anchorman" is starting to come to mind...... :D
Corin
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

What about the Cnat and C#, any special fingering/lip to get it proper?

Eivind