Davy Spillane Low D Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

toughknot wrote:I saw no self promotion , or endorsement of any product in Phils post.It seemed within Dales stated etiquitte of playing nice and commercial posts which Dale posted.Dale wrote the rules , it is his house so he is free to interpret them and make the calls. I agree it must be difficult to participate in the disscussions here at C&F for all commercial makers of whistles.I found Phils post informative and see it is still up and on the board twice now as Dale quoted Phils post so it must not be outside the posted quide lines. I find it difficult to interpret Phils post as commercial . C&F is the largest community of its kind and has been very valuble to me. I appreciate Dales efforts and generosity. The internet whistle world has grown and there are now several forums of this type, including Phils own.My opinion.
Look, if you're a whistle maker and sometimes use this board for commercial purpose, posting something bad about another whistle/whistle maker is just something you don't do. Why do you think other whistle makers arent part of this discussion? Because anything you might say isnt credible. If I'm the boss of a big petrol company and I go around saying how nature oriented I am and how I want to make the world more green and pure, most people won't buy it, can you blame them? So the question isnt about Phil being honnest or not, it's just common sens that he shouldnt be posting and I totally agree with Dale.
toughknot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toughknot »

Look, I had an opinion and expressed it.
Look, Azalin has an opinion and expressed it as well.
Look, I'm sure others will have opinions and will also express them.
Look, this will probably degenerate into a political , free speech, gob of s***e thread like many others have. Sorry Bloomfield.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
Jay-eye

Re: Whats all the fuss about.

Post by Jay-eye »

Phil Hardy wrote:I just feel a little sad that all the fuss of what could have been the worlds greatest low D ended up as a Howard.
Phil.
Well, Howard lookalike at any rate. I'm siding with Dale's view of the Howard being both superior and underrated.

Interesting commercial information from you though, Phil, thanks for sharing the inside stuff on potential whistlemaking profits!
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have a Howard and enjoy it very much.

I have tried a Copeland low D which was very nice (belonged to Justin Murphy), but to me my Howard is easier to play and has a bit stronger tone. Then again, I'm used to the Howard, and maybe that's the real difference.

--James
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I see Dale's point, but perhaps it was a bit difficult for my namesake to consider Spillane as a whistlemaking competitor - I mean, all these years we've been tossing about is there really such a whistle, etc. blah, blah, blah, and only one has been made available or obtained in all that time - apparently overpriced and not particularly worth having the maker's name affixed to boot.

Best,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I seen Phil's post as a whistler expressing a view,like everyone else,I don't see anything commercial about it at all,yes he makes whistles,but he also plays and contributes to this forum like anyone else.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Whistling Willie wrote:I seen Phil's post as a whistler expressing a view,like everyone else,I don't see anything commercial about it at all,yes he makes whistles,but he also plays and contributes to this forum like anyone else.
Yeah, but you sure have a cool avatar. So, there!

Dale
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Thank you Mr. Lecter :D
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Dale:
I may be confused (of course I pretty well stay that way) but I see Phil's comment as just that, a comment. No where in his post did he say for exampl, " the Spillane whistle is similar to the Howard and they both suck,,,so go out and buy a Kerry or Chieftain. (Although in my opinion that would be the best move) :) , but instead I believe he simply voiced his opinion as everyone on here does. Like you Dale, Phil contributes a heck of a lot to the whistle community and I believe that as long as he plays by the rules I beleive he should say what he feels as a player, contributer, maker, etc.

But this like all my posts is just my opinion.......now no biting, scratching, or hitting below the belt... :)
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Whistling Willie

Now you've gone and done it Keith :o
StewySmoot

Re: Whats all the fuss about.

Post by StewySmoot »

Phil Hardy wrote:I just feel a little sad that all the fuss of what could have been the worlds greatest low D.....

Phil.
I aqree. Mr. Spillane had the potential to release the penultimate whistle but he fell short according to Herr Bloomfields excellent review. Your comment sums up the feeling of a number of your fellow whistlers in the whistling community.

BTW, what business are you in? Latex? Just curious...
Last edited by StewySmoot on Fri May 20, 2005 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

well i dont know where you get your info on spillanes whistle but it is all wrong, he used to play modified overtons but then they got into an differance of opinion and spillane when his way and makes them himself and sometimes modifies them to a sharp or a flat, he does not use plastic heads
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

cavefish wrote:well i dont know where you get your info on spillanes whistle but it is all wrong, he used to play modified overtons but then they got into an differance of opinion and spillane when his way and makes them himself and sometimes modifies them to a sharp or a flat, he does not use plastic heads
Why dont you just change your screen-name to GallonsOfGasoline...
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

explain -gallons of gasoline
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

DaleWisely wrote:
Whistling Willie wrote:I seen Phil's post as a whistler expressing a view,like everyone else,I don't see anything commercial about it at all,yes he makes whistles,but he also plays and contributes to this forum like anyone else.
Yeah, but you sure have a cool avatar. So, there!

Dale
Bottom Line and the plane facts are Whistle Makers are just not allowed to have a say on Dales board, regarding other makers whistle's :-?
Lord knows he has given me anough stick about it :(
cavefish Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

explain -gallons of gasoline
Du'h
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&