Worst name for a school mascot?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

My daughters' swim team, the Severn River Sharks, has competed several times against the home pool of Michael Phelps--team name: The Tomatoes.
(needless to say, we got smeared every time, and you've never been smeared if you haven't been smeared by a Tomato.)
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Unless you've been smeared by a pap.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

Nanohedron wrote:
Walden wrote:What about the Jenks Trojans? I mean, what could incite more fear than a jinxed Trojan? Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.
So, do the Trojans practice safe sacks?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

My eldest son goes to the U of Oregon, go Ducks!

It's a Donald Duck mascot. Pretty scary! :roll:

Mary
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:My eldest son goes to the U of Oregon, go Ducks!

Mary
Yeah, and their fight song is "Aflac".
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

I had to chime in here. The University of Colorado mascot is named Ralphie. Where did Chip come from? I've never heard that before.

I did a little more research and I guess Chip is the indoor version. Learn something new everyday.

http://www.cualum.org/heritage/alumni_l ... tml#mascot
Denny

Post by Denny »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:My eldest son goes to the U of Oregon, go Ducks!

Mary
...might be 'cause the natives have webbed feet... (local humor. this side of the Cascades)
The Sporting Pitchfork

Re: Worst name for a school mascot?

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

TomB wrote:The "athletes in red" thread got me thinking about school mascots.

What is the oddest, or weirdest school mascot that you know of. I'm lookng for real ones, not ones that we like to invent.

One that I find odd is the Universiy of Santa Cruz Banana Slugs. That must really strike fear in their opponents.

All the Best, Tom
This was actually at the students' behest. When UC Santa Cruz was started around '65 or so, the official mascot was the sea lion. Alas, sea lions and reefer do not mix and the students, deeply impressed by the local wildlife, began to pester the administration to officially change the mascot to the banana slug. They finally got their way. Funny thing is, UC Santa Cruz does have a pretty fearsome volleyball team...or at least they did when I was there...

The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, which consciously modeled itself after UCSC, made their mascot the geoduck.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

There's a town near here calle Coxsackie (as in Coxsackie virus which was originally isolated from the local prison's population).
My warped mind has often wondered if their HS team name was the Coxsackers... :roll: It would make for some pretty interesting halftime entertainment.....
(Note, the residents pronounce the name with the "x" silent and the "o" almost silent, like "C'sackie")
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

gonzo914 wrote: Central Dakota School of Mimes and Technology
Is this where Marcel Marceau went to school? :-?
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

BrassBlower wrote:
gonzo914 wrote: Central Dakota School of Mimes and Technology
Is this where Marcel Marceau went to school? :-?
No. You are confusing CDSM&T with the South Central North Dakota School of Miming and Manufacturing, where Marceau served as a technical advisor for a short period in the 1960s. South Central North Dakota School of Miming and Manufacturing (SCNDSM&M)was founded in 1902 in an effort to provide locally trained industrial mimes for the developing industrial economy of South Central North Dakota, which, alas, never did develop very much because the the industrial revolution bypassed South Central North Dakota altogether. The school it closed in 1966, following a tragic incident in which a gate was left open and a number of the mimes wandered off. What was left of the mime program was absorbed by CDSM&T.

CDSM&T was originally the Central Dakota School of Agriculture and Technology, although the ag programs were dropped in the early 1930s when it had become obvious that nothing would grow there except ditch weed and a few exotic strains of mushrooms. But the school retained the name Central Dakota School of Agriculture and Technology until it took over the mime programs from the defunct SCNDSM&M, at which point it changed its name to the current CDSM&T.

SCNDSM&M was also a member of the Mid-Dakota Conference, but never got to go anywhere because it had no varsity sports. It was trying to put together a calf-roping team when the mime accident occurred.

The Mid-Dakota Conference is unique among American athletic conferences in that no two member schools have the same varsity sports. Hence, each school's entire schedule is entirely non-conference, and more often than not the entire conference has a losing record. The Mid-Dakota Conference basketball champion is allotted one of the automatic invitations to the NCAA tournament, but since none of the schools plays basketball, this "66th" slot has historically gone unfilled.

I attended CDSM&T from September 1968 to October 1968, when I was expelled for talking in class.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow