Davy Spillane Low D Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MurphyStout »

Azalin wrote:
MurphyStout wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a Davy when one could buy a Howard considerably cheaper. And, I've always thought the Howard was underrated.

Dale
Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a low whistle when one could buy a flute which is considerably a better instrument. And, I've always thought that flute are underrated.
Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a flute when one could buy a concertina which is considerably a better instrument. And, I've always thought that concertinas are underrated.

:D
Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a concertina when one knows that it is a woman's instrument. And, I've always thought that women were underrated.
No I'm not returning...
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

MurphyStout wrote:
Azalin wrote:
MurphyStout wrote: Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a low whistle when one could buy a flute which is considerably a better instrument. And, I've always thought that flute are underrated.
Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a flute when one could buy a concertina which is considerably a better instrument. And, I've always thought that concertinas are underrated.

:D
Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a concertina when one knows that it is a woman's instrument. And, I've always thought that women were underrated.
Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm having trouble seeing why one would buy a concertina, flute, low whistle or woman when one knows that the pipes are a better instrument. And, I've always thought that the pipes were underrated.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Actually Nico, you're wrong. Pipes are the absolute worst instrument, melody istrument that is.
No I'm not returning...
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I am mocked.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

...but loved! ;)
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm having trouble seeing why one would buy a concertina, flute, low whistle or woman when one knows that the pipes are a better instrument. And, I've always thought that the pipes were underrated.
Depends on the pipe[r] in question!
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Actually Jack I'd say that the concertina requires good use of your fingers, and knowledge of which buttons to play with. Something you can't know at your young age and lack of experience, but maybe the instrument will be accessible to you in a few years. Meanwhile, keep on toying with your flute :lol:
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Azalin wrote:...the concertina requires good use of your fingers, and knowledge of which buttons to play with.
Wait, I thought that was WOMEN?! :-?
Phil Hardy

Removed

Post by Phil Hardy »

Removed.
Last edited by Phil Hardy on Sat May 21, 2005 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Whats all the fuss about.

Post by Dale »

Phil Hardy wrote:Well,Ive just surfaced from the the slavery of house refurbishment and have just read the Spillane whistle review.
WHAT IS ALL THE FUSS ABOUT?
The clip sound OK the whistle looks like a Howard...I can't belive that Davy didn't do any homework or just come up with something more interesting.
The cost of the mould would be around $30-$40,000,thats a lot of wonga to spend on a project without really knowing your market.The tube is proberbly extruded at around $5 per metre.The cost of each headshell would be around $1.50.
With assembly and polishing and without engraving the whole thing would cost davy around $10-$15.
At a cost to the public of over $200 he must think that his past rep will sell them by the shedload.
And it's not even got his name on it.
I just feel a little sad that all the fuss of what could have been the worlds greatest low D ended up as a Howard.
Phil.
This is an entirely self-serving post, since you're a competitor. I ask you, publicly now, not to do this.

Dale
Phil Hardy

No It IS NOT.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Dale,this IS NOT a self serving post and I do not benefit from it in anyway ,this is me as a whistler contributing to this post.I spend more time playing the whistle than making them these days so I give myself the right to coment on things that are happening.
I have not crossed any lines here,only voiced my opinion on a wide open subject.
Am I not a whistle buying/playing member of the public as well?.
I don't only play my own whistles,I use a whole host of other brands/makes.
Jeez,this is getting like I can't say anything about whistles,the thing is facts is facts and thats all I'm putting across.
I'm just as dissappointed as the next whistles player that's all; the hype about this GREAT whistle has only resulted in a Howard copy,Dale you must feel the same,but you get to say anything you like and I,as another whistler must shut up.
Q.how do I become a member of the whistle playing public?
Phil.
Dale
The Landlord

Re: No It IS NOT.

Post by Dale »

Phil Hardy wrote:Dale,this IS NOT a self serving post and I do not benefit from it in anyway ,this is me as a whistler contributing to this post.I spend more time playing the whistle than making them these days so I give myself the right to coment on things that are happening.
I have not crossed any lines here,only voiced my opinion on a wide open subject.
Am I not a whistle buying/playing member of the public as well?.
I don't only play my own whistles,I use a whole host of other brands/makes.
Jeez,this is getting like I can't say anything about whistles,the thing is facts is facts and thats all I'm putting across.
I'm just as dissappointed as the next whistles player that's all; the hype about this GREAT whistle has only resulted in a Howard copy,Dale you must feel the same,but you get to say anything you like and I,as another whistler must shut up.
Q.how do I become a member of the whistle playing public?
Phil.
The answer to your question is you are a member of the whistle-playing public. But, as long as you are selling whistles it will be inappropriate, in my opinion, for you to criticize your whistle-making peers. Honestly, Phil, it's not that complicated. I'm sure some will disagree, but it looks bad.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

That's my friend, Irishman. And the answer to your question
is yes; if you fight for me you get to kill the English...

sorry, wrong thread..

edited to enter other pic...
Last edited by amar on Fri May 20, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

I saw no self promotion , or endorsement of any product in Phils post.It seemed within Dales stated etiquitte of playing nice and commercial posts which Dale posted.Dale wrote the rules , it is his house so he is free to interpret them and make the calls. I agree it must be difficult to participate in the disscussions here at C&F for all commercial makers of whistles.I found Phils post informative and see it is still up and on the board twice now as Dale quoted Phils post so it must not be outside the posted quide lines. I find it difficult to interpret Phils post as commercial . C&F is the largest community of its kind and has been very valuble to me. I appreciate Dales efforts and generosity. The internet whistle world has grown and there are now several forums of this type, including Phils own.My opinion.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

MurphyStout wrote:Actually Nico, you're wrong. Pipes are the absolute worst instrument, melody istrument that is.
Well, since I've never heard of a set of pipes being played as accompaniement only, I'll assume you are not being entirely serious...

Otherwise: Ouch!

Remember what Peter Horan said about the flute: "This is only a toy."

Or something to that effect.