Think bottled water is healthier?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

izza - if you are really worried about organics, the PUR and Brita filters remove these from the water, too (unless you are talking in the percentages, of course).
Cincinnati has a 7 day supply of water in reservoirs at any one time, so if there is a spill up river, they can shut the water supply off for that amount of time and be fine. Of course, other areas around here are on wells / aquafers - and one of these is contaminated from the Fernald Uranium Processing Plant.
Oh - and even with a filter, you should ALWAYS run the water in your tap for several minutes in the morning before you take a drink (or fill that coffee pot). Just in case you have lead or other contamination this will flush it out.
I grew up on cistern water, never had fluoride until I moved at age 21, and didn't have a single cavity until after I had kids. :o

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
BigDavy

Water and Charity

Post by BigDavy »

Hi All

For those Chiffers in the UK with some spare cash to give to charity.

http://www.wateraid.org.uk/

In most developed countries the water quality is regulated to such an extent that unsafe tap water is very rare. The cost of tap water in the UK is the rough equivelant of 1 US dollar per cubic metre (1000 litres / 220 imperial gallons) wholesale so at the equivelant of 1 dollar per litre for bottled water for no real benefit why buy it.

David
(Note of bias here I work for Scottish Water)
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
missy

Post by missy »

here's another story about delivering healthy water to world populations:

http://www.wsjclassroomedition.com/arch ... tg_pur.htm

and yeah - I work for P&G.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

MarkB wrote:Bottled water doesn't have Floride in it to prevent tooth decay.

MarkB
If you believe that fluoride stops tooth decay. Does Europe have Fluoride in their water?

Crap, is my tinfoil hat showing?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jack

Post by Jack »

I.D.10-t wrote:

MarkB
If you believe that fluoride stops tooth decay. Does Europe have Fluoride in their water?

Crap, is my tinfoil hat showing?
Something in my head wants to say that Christian Scientists also do not drink tap water with flouride, but I am not entirely sure. I know they allow the use of chlorine, though.
BigDavy

Flouridation

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Cranberry

Flouridation of the water supply is a contentious issue in the UK as well. Clorine in the water is there to disinfect the water and prevent water bourne diseases, so there is no real issue with it. Flouridating the water supply is mass medication, however, and this is what causes the arguments over here.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Jack

Re: Flouridation

Post by Jack »

BigDavy wrote:Hi Cranberry

Flouridation of the water supply is a contentious issue in the UK as well. Clorine in the water is there to disinfect the water and prevent water bourne diseases, so there is no real issue with it. Flouridating the water supply is mass medication, however, and this is what causes the arguments over here.

David
That sounds really close to the Christian Scientists' arguments I've heard.
rasp

Post by rasp »

well, there are at least 4 towns or cities in my state alone that will have to boil their tap water this year, though the length of time is short. one wonders how soon after an incident the order is put through. if one wishes to put their life in the governments hands, save some money and donot buy bottled water nor a filter.
if one travles to far from home the change in the water can cause a bit of erm ah you know. even with the so called water standards. you donot have to travel to a third world country to have that happen.

if one sticks to beer or other such things i would think you would be pretty safe.
too many freaks, not enough circuses
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

rasp wrote:if one sticks to beer or other such things i would think you would be pretty safe.
What do they use to make beer?

:-?
IRTradRU?
rasp

Post by rasp »

IRTradRU? wrote:
rasp wrote:if one sticks to beer or other such things i would think you would be pretty safe.

erm water, but if it can kill brain cells, i am sure it will kill germs.
too many freaks, not enough circuses
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

rasp wrote:
IRTradRU? wrote:

erm water, but if it can kill brain cells, i am sure it will kill germs.
I thought it was Listerine that killed germs.

:D
IRTradRU?
Rick

Post by Rick »

I.D.10-t wrote:

MarkB
Yes they do...
They also have consumer programs testing bottled water/filters/whatnot and have concluded none of them are any better than regular tapwater (here anyway)
Actually, some bottled waters come from the same waterlayer as the tapwater in that county.., they're just a tad more expensive..
Filters are doing nothing at all.

Another test showed the oxygen tanks that seem to be in fashion have no effect whatsoever and could be labeled as fraud.
The person importing the oxygen "rigs" here was interviewed on tele and asked if it REALLY helped and was good for you..
He said "no, not really" :lol:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

rasp wrote:well, there are at least 4 towns or cities in my state alone that will have to boil their tap water this year, though the length of time is short. one wonders how soon after an incident the order is put through. if one wishes to put their life in the governments hands, save some money and donot buy bottled water nor a filter.
if one travles to far from home the change in the water can cause a bit of erm ah you know. even with the so called water standards. you donot have to travel to a third world country to have that happen.

if one sticks to beer or other such things i would think you would be pretty safe.
I know UK travellers to the continent (i.e. France, Spain, Portugal, Greece etc) are wise not to drink the tapwater, or they get a gippy tummy. This extends to not having ice cubes in your drinks too.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Our tap water is hideous. It's so hard you could bounce a ball of it. If you could turn rust back into steel you could build a Cadillac.

We finally got a water softner, rust filter, tap water filter and now it's great to drink yet my wife still insists on bottled water. I can't tell any difference.

Regarding flouridated water I have but one thing to say:

"Mandrake, do you know why I only drink pure rain water?"
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

IRTradRU? wrote:

Good grief, IRTrad....hasn't anyone ever told you that you just don't drink the domestic swill? You have to get the imported stuff...that way it's not suspect :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.