Davy Spillane Low D Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I really and truly thought this was an ongoing prank to see how long we could be strung along. I was looking forward to more posts saying "It's in the mail...It's lost in the mail...there's a postal strike...I got it but I have pneumonia and can't play it...need batteries for the digital camera and can't go out until I get over the pneumonia...etc, etc..." :lol:

Then, to get an actual review with photos! I was so confused. Okay, what's really going on?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
JessieD

Post by JessieD »

You spent how much in US Dollars?
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

JessieD wrote:You spent how much in US Dollars?
He paid a lot more than he should have. He could have had another Overton or Alba. Thanks a lot Bloomfield. It was all I expected it to be. (The whistle that is. The review was great)

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

unfortunately somewhere around $2much, sounds like ....

if you bought one today, given the price qouted ("200 EURO+8 EURO P+P") at the current rate it would cost $253.46 plus $10.13 shipping.

way to take one for the team, Bloomfield, and a fine review to boot.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Very enjoyable review!

Cara, next time you are in town, I really want to see you!!
~JessieD
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

About $270.

Perhaps I should take contributions. :)
/Bloomfield
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

A very fair review. Thanks

Sorry you are out so much money for what seems to be the absolute "penny" whistle.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Very intresting review. I really liked the back to back tunes in the review.

Bloomfield deserves a cheer. A real example of putting your money where your mouth is!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Bloomfield wrote:
Perhaps I should take contributions. :)
For the record, after reading the review and on the advice of my lawyer, I hereby rescind the offer made Dec 14, 2004 in post
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... e&start=15

:)
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Hmmm...what are the going prices for low D's? Not that I have anything to add to the Spillane whistle discussion (it sounded good enough to me in the clips -- not a ringing tone that I associate with Overton, but nice enough for its own tone -- though I really don't like rough finishing work) but it doesn't seem that expensive. Of course I haven't bought whistles in a while (whoo hoo! I'm beating WhOA...nevermind that I have two purchases in mind, I also have a few in mind to sell (yes, including an O'Riordan concert set)) so I don't know what the average lo-D is trading for on the open market.

Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

$270?!? Maybe I'll throw in dinner at Chez White Castle.

Hi Jessie! I'm going back to East Durham this year, so there's a good chance we can meet, finally. I'm not sure whether I'll have the use of a car or not yet. I'll get in touch closer to Irish Arts Week.

I volunteer to baby-sit if you and Dan need a few hour's childcare in East Durham. She'll be regaled with my new, imperfectly learned tunes. She'll love it!

Cara
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a Davy when one could buy a Howard considerably cheaper. And, I've always thought the Howard was underrated.

Dale
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

DaleWisely wrote:Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a Davy when one could buy a Howard considerably cheaper. And, I've always thought the Howard was underrated.

Dale
Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a low whistle when one could buy a flute which is considerably a better instrument. And, I've always thought that flute are underrated.
No I'm not returning...
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

MurphyStout wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a Davy when one could buy a Howard considerably cheaper. And, I've always thought the Howard was underrated.

Dale
Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a low whistle when one could buy a flute which is considerably a better instrument. And, I've always thought that flute are underrated.
Not to be too negative about this whole thing....but I'm trouble seeing why one would buy a flute when one could buy a concertina which is considerably a better instrument. And, I've always thought that concertinas are underrated.

:D
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

MurphyStout wrote:

Dale
Uhm, money?

Lack of desire to play the flute?

Neither of these really apply to Dale's comparison, though...

Apples and oranges...Not to be too negative about this whole thing ;)