Maker of Oak Pennywhistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChrisA »

Ahhh, there seems to be some confusion here. I have no desire to buy my whistles wholesale... or rather, that's not my current purpose in life. I am, instead, attempting to discover the truth behind the allegations that my favorite whistle has become a horrible thing which has a buzz that renders the tunes unlistenable, is impossible to tune, and has a mouthpiece full of toxins that cause the mouth to go numb...

Having experienced -none- of these things myself, I'm trying to figure out if any of the Oaks I have are the 'new' Oaks, if any formulation changes took place in the plastic, etc.

Of course, if my favorite whistle has, in fact, been made into the described horror, then we'd like the maker to know that we prefer the old Oak whistles and to please change.

Anyways, until and unless I start doing a festival sales circuit and/or a store, I'm not going to be buying pennywhistles wholesale!

I wonder, would there be a problem with my claiming to be a chiff & fipple reporter? I will submit a report to chiff & fipple, after all! :wink:

--Chris
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

FWIW, my Oak had a buzz that was caused largely from flashing in the windway. After carefully removing the flashing it still buzzes a bit but I can (usually) control it through breath control. If it weren't for that darn buzzing my oak would be my favourite whistle. My Oak tunes just fine and I really like its sound.

Toxic mouthpiece!? Did you just make that up or did somebody really say that? IMO its more likely the numb lips came from that darn buzzing rather than toxins. I can't see a manufacturer making a whistle mouthpiece out of something known to be toxic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garycrosby on 2002-05-21 14:13 ]</font>
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Yes, somebody was complaining that the Oak mouthpiece had a 'bad taste' and left his mouth numb... he didn't quite -say- toxic, but it was implied strongly that it was an unhealthy mouthpiece, and yes, I share your skepticism, but speculation doesn't answer the question, hence my quest.

FWIW, I think the buzz in the D and E, which is all there is in a cleanly-made Oak, is a tradeoff made for the richer overtones of the othernotes; that is to say, it's a slightly overstrong overtone. If you lose it, you'd get the tinnier, hollower sound typical of many other metal whistles. Also, FWIW, I have a friend who -likes- the buzz, at least that the level it exists on my Oak; of course, he embouchures his flute so that it's just on the edge of buzzing, and considers this proper flute embouchure for irish flute. Obviously not for orchestral flute, which is taught with a very high, backed-off embouchure to get floaty-airy sound, as opposed to the more powerful sound of the irish flute. Those who disagree with him seem to think one should embouchure as low and close in as possible to just not-quite get the buzz.

Anyway, when I'm actually playing anything other than a slow-air I can't consciously -hear- the buzz at all... at speed the note is gone before you hear a buzz. And I can make even the D buzz go away if I'm willing to play the D flat.

--Chris
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On 2002-05-21 14:32, ChrisA wrote:
Yes, somebody was complaining that the Oak mouthpiece had a 'bad taste' and left his mouth numb... he didn't quite -say- toxic, but it was implied strongly that it was an unhealthy mouthpiece, and yes, I share your skepticism, but speculation doesn't answer the question, hence my quest.
This is exactly what I wrote: "The head tastes bad and leaves my mouth numb, too."

No speculation on toxins, and not implying anything. If I thought it was toxic, I'd come right out and say so, plus I wouldn't play it. I've soaked it and bleached it, and, although the bad taste is much reduced, it still makes my mouth numb.

As far as my complaints with the sound, it's gotten much better, through a combination of my getting better at playing it, getting used to the sound, and a little tweaking. It's definitely growing on me.

Charlie
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Odd. I haven't noticed any difference in the "taste" of the Oak mouthpiece when compared with the "taste" a Sweetone or Walton's which are also have a plastic mouthpieces. Charlie, is it possible that yours somehow got contaminated or that there is something inside that has ... err, has gone "foul"?
chas

Post by chas »

On 2002-05-21 16:38, garycrosby wrote:
Odd. I haven't noticed any difference in the "taste" of the Oak mouthpiece when compared with the "taste" a Sweetone or Walton's which are also have a plastic mouthpieces. Charlie, is it possible that yours somehow got contaminated or that there is something inside that has ... err, has gone "foul"?
It's certainly possible, but as I said, I've soaked it in hot water and also in bleach solution, so it's not simply on the surface.

If I were to speculate, I's suspect one of two things -- either it's a sort of plastic that I'm somehow sensitive to (I don't have any sensitivity to vinyl, which is the most common plastic-related thing of this sort), or (more likely) the resin didn't completely polymerize in the curing process.

Charlie
dth

Post by dth »

I'm the one who implied toxins. Bad me. I suppose I'd better say loudly and in public that I am only *comparing* the taste of my two new Oak pennywhistle fipples to the *smell* I associate with solvents. I am NOT saying new Oak fipples are hazardous to our health. But they do make my lips numb and it isn't the vibration of the buzzing doing that.

ChrisA, I'd sure be interested in learning what Oak has to say.
Debra

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dth on 2002-05-21 17:44 ]</font>
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

If and when I get to discuss matters with Oak, or whoever makes Oaks, I'll be posting the full story, at least for the boards, and maybe Dale will choose to publish it. Who knows.

--Chris
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Sweetone, Oak, Walton's...they all taste like chicken.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

My D Oak whistle definitely made my lips all numb. It kind of felt like a burning/numbing sensation. I actually stopped playing it for a while and used my Generation D instead (I like it better anyway). I've since picked up the Oak again and it's potency seems to have subsided. Still curious though why it was like that in the first place.

PR
Caru

Post by Caru »

Did you use Jet-Dry or something similar in the whisltes to try to cut clogging? For a while after it is applied (maybe a week, depending on how often you play) it can cause a mild numbness of the lips. This happens even after the taste itself has worn away.
johnz

Post by johnz »

I think the problem is with the plastic.I haven't gotten numb lips from my oak, but the fipple stunk really bad when I first got the whistle.After airing out for awhile I don't notice the smell anymore.The oak's the only whistle I've had that problem with. Btw I purchased it about 2 years ago from The Whistle Shop.
Take care, Johnz
chas

Post by chas »

On 2002-05-21 17:38, dth wrote:
I'm the one who implied toxins.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dth on 2002-05-21 17:44 ]</font>
Whoops! Chris, sorry for thinking you had put words into my mouth (or thoughts in my head). I had wrongly assumed I was the only one who's commented on this.

Charlie
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

No Caru, no jet dry - straight from the package - about 10 minutes later I was talking like Jar Jar binks. Meesa lips is numbiny.

Just as a test, I just put my lips further onto the fipple and the numbness was quite present. I think it's a combination of numb and kinda stingy. Mild, but present indeed. Tastes kind of bitter.

PR
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I used to get quite a smell and a bit of taste off a red Generation D head. I stopped using it for a while, and it seems to have subsided, but there's still a very faint whiff if I hold it really close to my hooter. I've never noticed a problem with any other head, including the Oak.

That said, I quickly swapped the Oak head for a Feadog III, also in Black, so maybe I didn't play it enough.

I can't see any connection between Oak and Feadog. They seem worlds apart in quality of the Nickel body, and the Irish makes are usually proud to display their Irish origins on their labels, it's a selling point! So it would make no sense for Oak to be made by the Feadog manufacturers to my way of thinking. Mine was bought in Ireland, and there was no clue to the manufacturer OR distributor on the paper insert.

Oddly, the term Pennywhistle is used on both the plastic case and the paper insert fingering chart. I thought no self-respecting Irish player used this term anymore, but called them tinwhistles, or simply whistles. Maybe this is another clue?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing