I am getting so excited about our England trip!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I am getting so excited about our England trip!

Post by Redwolf »

I can't believe that it's less than two months before we leave for England! We've been planning this for a year now, and things are finally starting to seem real. We have our passports, our plane reservations, our lodging reservations, our Brit Rail and Heritage Passes, our reservations at the Globe, and even a rough itinerary (the kids put together the itinerary, after agonizing for months over which sites to include and which to reluctantly put aside for another trip. There's only so much you can do in two weeks!)

Here's what the kids have decided on (in no particular order):

The London Millennium Eye
Westminster Abbey
Amphibious Frog Tour (http://www.londonvisions.com/tours_frogtours.htm)
St. Albans Museum
Verulamium Roman museum with living-history docents in Roman army uniforms
British Museum
St. Paul's Cathedral
Shakespeare's Globe exhibition
Winter's Tale at the Globe
Victoria & Albert Museum
Science Museum
Natural History Museum
Hampton Court
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard (including HMS Victory and the Tudor vessel Mary Rose)
Arundel Castle
Oxford (punting, museums, and more)
Bath
Stonehenge / Salisbury
The Tower of London
Tower Bridge
The Monument
Bank of England Museum
Clink Prison Museum
Old Operating Theatre
Overnight living history adventure on the reconstructed Golden Hinde (I may have to pass on that one, as my arthritis won't like my sleeping on the floor. Fortunately, the apartments in London are rented for the entire two weeks, so I can go back there to sleep)
York (Jorvik Viking city, York Minster, Railway Museum)

As an Anglican chorister, I'm hoping to fit in a Sunday service or an Evensong at one of the cathedrals...the regular choirs will be on hiatus, but I'm told they often have wonderful guest choirs during the summer.

I still can't quite believe this is happening! I think I'm doing even more bouncing off the walls than my daughter!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
jsluder

Re: I am getting so excited about our England trip!

Post by jsluder »

Redwolf wrote:Here's what the kids have decided on (in no particular order):

The London Millennium Eye
Westminster Abbey
Amphibious Frog Tour (http://www.londonvisions.com/tours_frogtours.htm)
St. Albans Museum
Verulamium Roman museum with living-history docents in Roman army uniforms
British Museum
St. Paul's Cathedral
Shakespeare's Globe exhibition
Winter's Tale at the Globe
Victoria & Albert Museum
Science Museum
Natural History Museum
Hampton Court
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard (including HMS Victory and the Tudor vessel Mary Rose)
Arundel Castle
Oxford (punting, museums, and more)
Bath
Stonehenge / Salisbury
The Tower of London
Tower Bridge
The Monument
Bank of England Museum
Clink Prison Museum
Old Operating Theatre
Overnight living history adventure on the reconstructed Golden Hinde (I may have to pass on that one, as my arthritis won't like my sleeping on the floor. Fortunately, the apartments in London are rented for the entire two weeks, so I can go back there to sleep)
York (Jorvik Viking city, York Minster, Railway Museum)
I'm going on the economy-class version of this trip: I only get to visit Bath... the one upstairs in my house. :(

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Enjoy it! :party:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

I'm so jealous!!!! You are going to have a blast! :party: I can only imagine your excitement....do you think there's room in your suitcase for me? I can curl myself up pretty small.... :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

izzarina wrote:I'm so jealous!!!! You are going to have a blast! :party: I can only imagine your excitement....do you think there's room in your suitcase for me? I can curl myself up pretty small.... :wink:
LOL...well, how do you feel about shepherding a bunch of sixth and fourth graders around? :lol:

I keep wanting to grab these kids and ask them "do you know how lucky you are? I had to wait until I was 44 years old to take this trip!"

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Hey izz, you and I are both rather small... if you squeeze over just a bit, I may be able to fit in too. :D

Seriously though, sounds like a marvelous trip Redwolf-- have a terrific time!!
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Redwolf wrote:
The Victory is living history - it's incredible to see and as you're walking about her decks, and then try to imagine what life must have been like on a stormy Atlantic, to say nothing of being in a naval battle.

Enjoy!
IRTradRU?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Redwolf wrote: The London Millennium Eye 1
Westminster Abbey 1
Amphibious Frog Tour 1 (http://www.londonvisions.com/tours_frogtours.htm)
British Museum 5
St. Paul's Cathedral 5
Shakespeare's Globe exhibition 4
Victoria & Albert Museum 2
Science Museum 2
Natural History Museum 2
The Tower of London 6
Tower Bridge 6
The Monument 6
Bank of England Museum 6
Clink Prison Museum 4
Old Operating Theatre (not sure where that is!)
Golden Hinde 4

Redwolf
Hi Red,

Beth and I are getting excited about meeting you during your stay!

Taking a look at your list, I've roughly put numbers against London attractions which are in reasonable proximity to each other. I'd suggest allowing at least half a day for each museum visit, they're BIG, except the Clink which is tiny.

I'll take a closer look tonight and give you a better idea of what you could reasonably do in a day - e.g. the Tower of London could be a whole day visit, or you could do the Tower Bridge museum first, etc.

The good news is, London isn't that big, i.e. it only takes maybe 1/2 hour to get from any Central London attraction to any other, but if you scoot around those half hours add up.

Anyway, it looks like a mammoth schedule, some of those places I haven't been to myself yet!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

The Old Operating Theatre:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/attractions/oot.html
http://www.thegarret.org.uk/

Red, have you guys thought about how you'll be getting around within London? I presume the tube, and two weeks of travelcards for a group of people is really going to add up! Of course some of the things on your list aren't in London, so you won't need travelcards to see them..

I suggest looking into visitor travelcards, they might be cheaper for you but you have to buy them before you arrive.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets ... card.shtml

There are lots of websites that sell visitor travelcards, just google "London visitor travelcard" but I don't know the merits of any of them.

(A travelcard is a credit-card sized paper pass that allows you unlimited tube and bus travel, within a given time period and area of London. London is split into six travel zones with Central London being zones 1 and 2.)

You can take a look at current regular ticket prices here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets ... ndex.shtml

..and if the visitor pass looks like it will be a better deal for what you need, you might want to go that route. The website mentions Oystercard, that's a plastic card you request and can put pre-paid funds on. Prepaying gives cheaper travel rates, but as non-residents I'm not sure you could get Oystercards...
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Since you're visiting Portsmouth dockyard and then later Arundel castle, you might like to think about a quick trip (about 20 minutes) from Pompey just around to Portchester to visit the Castle there.

You get a great view of the harbour from the roof of the 12th century (1130) castle keep (assuming you're brave enough to climb the narrow spiral staircase all the way to the top...and down again!) and the place is loaded with history (12th century priory church in the grounds) and Richard II's palace.

Its wall is the original Roman fort, complete with bastions. A splendid day out if the weather's nice!

http://www.castleuk.net/castle_lists_so ... castle.htm

http://members.lycos.co.uk/stusweb/portchester.html
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

Sounds like an excellent trip, Redwolf. Be sure to check out Westiminster Abbey's and St. Paul's web-sites, as they list the Evensong canticle settings and anthems by day--or at least they did in July 2005 when I went to Merrie Ol' on a layover. I ended up at Westminster Abbey and they did the Smith "Presces and Responses" and Mendelsohn's "I waited on the Lord". I forget the Mag/Nunc. We got to Evensong about 15 minutes beforehand, and I wish we had arrived earlier, because we ended up in the transept, as the choir was filled. We could only see about 25% of the choir, but it was still heavenly.

You might also want to try one of those double decker bus tours to be the complete tourist. If you don't get off at any stops, it takes about 2 hours and it was a good intro to the sights for me.

Lastly, the kids might find this boring, but the Cotswolds is a beautiful region for driving around. I took a lot of good pictures out there.
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

P.S. I see no mention of visiting pubs and quaffing pints of Old Peculier. You need to add that to your list.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Sounds like a great trip Redwolf, I hope to make England and Wales my trip for next year (we leave for Benelux in less than two weeks :D )

BTW, do Londoners think that the Eye is as ugly as I think it is? I'm sure the view is great, but I think it is rather out of place.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I always enjoy spotting a section of it between tall buildings when I'm walking around :D
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

OnTheMoor wrote:Sounds like a great trip Redwolf, I hope to make England and Wales my trip for next year (we leave for Benelux in less than two weeks :D )

BTW, do Londoners think that the Eye is as ugly as I think it is? I'm sure the view is great, but I think it is rather out of place.
I like it, it makes a great landmark, unlike the (Dimmer)dome. I've been on it three times, maybe four. It's great after dark (the best time to see London).
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Sounds like fun. Keep in mind that Martin's idea of a short walk is different then some folks. :lol:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm