C&F virtual lovefest

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Historical digression:

Whenever I hear the term "virtual ....", I am reminded of something I came across in reading colonial US history. As we know, virtual often means "not really" like virtual reality.

Well, one of the arguments given by the Brits during a debate on colonial America was that, despite not having an elected member of Parliament, the colonies had "virtual representation."

Another one for your "nothing new under the sun" file.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote:Yes, if ever you're going to virtual San Fransisco.
doh!! beat me to it :wink:

::goes off singing "If you're going to Saaaan Fraaaaan Cisco....."::
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Bloomfield wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:I virtually love all of you!!!
I love virtually all of you. :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

After all is said and done, this is still one of the better forums on the Internet, although not as friendly as it used to be (for no fault of Dale's). And Dale is certainly one of the best persons i've had the pleasure of corresponding with. Interestingly, the same thing that differentiates this from most music or audio related forums - the tollerance of OT and political discussion - is also the most fertile breeding ground for trouble.

I'm still trying to understand this whole e-community thing. It's a lot of fun, sometimes, but in the end i'm afraid most people just want to express themselves, not really communicate.

And yes, it's a lovefest, but there's plenty of hate to get around too, and when you find yourself in the crosshairs, there's not a lot of help to be had. Tip of the hat to Bloomfield, the only CFer ever who defended me from a particularly virulent attack. Just recently i found myself under attack again, and at that time i decided that it just wasn't much fun anymore, and the result is that i went from obsessively reading threads and posting dozens of times a day to quickly scanning the threads once a day and posting occasionally. In some other forums that i'm part of, this kind of personal attack simply wouldn't have been allowed.

As i said above, i'm still trying to understand this e-community thing. I'm afraid it's a poor substitute for real human interaction. Perhaps the jury is still out. Perhaps in this era it's so hard to find real community, that the e-version will have to do.

But i'm grateful to Dale for this forum, because if it wasn't for it, i would never have "met" Dale, Bloomfield, Peter Laban, Jerry Freeman, Andrew K, Stacy Gorman, Raindog Humphrey, and so many others.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

glauber wrote: I'm afraid it's a poor substitute for real human interaction. ... Perhaps in this era it's so hard to find real community, that the e-version will have to do.
No, it's not a substitute.
But I don't see the virtual rottweilers getting out of hand too frequently...or maybe I just avoid the sufficiently meaningful discussions.
All in all. I like the folks here. They're smart, and it's good exercise to try to keep up with them.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Bloomfield wrote:
Really, Bloomie, I expected a much more colorful response from you!

Robin
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Nanohedron wrote:*sticks finger down throat*

:wink:
Here, Nano, let me help.... :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

This place good.

Me happy.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Scott McCallister

Post by Scott McCallister »

Bloomfield wrote:
D'oh!

Beat me to it!
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

This thread makes me want to go see Disneyland flattened by a hydrogen bomb.

But - I agree wih the basic sentiment :) I just have an innate, avrse reaction to sap. I get medication for it.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Alan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

The Weekenders wrote:I know for a fact that Dale is pretty smart and well-informed on a variety of subjects, as is Alan.
Thanks, Weekski.

You are pretty smart too!
Alan
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think overall, in spite of recent turbulence, the boards are feeling friendlier these days than they did for a while.

I think the feeling of shared community we have on these boards is fairly unique--and is growing again.

--James
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think overall, in spite of recent turbulence, the boards are feeling friendlier these days than they did for a while.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

glauber wrote:I'm still trying to understand this whole e-community thing. It's a lot of fun, sometimes, but in the end i'm afraid most people just want to express themselves, not really communicate.
I'll bet each one of us has become part of an e-community study that is being funded by a grant from the APA. :lol:

One thing I've observed is that C&F goes on regardless of who hangs in there and who drops out, and not many seem bothered by the turnover all that much. This online community is bigger than any one, any handful, or any group of like-minded people.

When our band went to the recording studio, the engineer had some good advice. He told the guitar player..."just set in the pocket, get comfortable, and don't push anything." The tempo just kind of evened out after that. This all just takes practice to find the right groove, and it doesn't hurt to be reminded to stay in the pocket.

I think the C&F should hire a professional facilitator from outside to come in, not knowing anyone, and do what they do best.
Jack

Post by Jack »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:
Really, Bloomie, I expected a much more colorful response from you!

Robin
I love that picture!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Lorenzo wrote:I think the C&F should hire a professional facilitator from outside to come in, not knowing anyone, and do what they do best.
But who would pay for the person? What if C&F doesn't have enough money? People have to be willing to participate in arbitration---usually it is because they are under pressure to do so (in my experience). I don't think people here would go for that at all myself. Maybe you are joking. :)