pretty tunes for a wedding?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
lilymaid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

pretty tunes for a wedding?

Post by lilymaid »

I'm getting married this August and don't want your traditional classical wedding music. I don't really know what tunes would work though. Are there any pretty traditional tunes anyone can think of that work well?

(I think there was a thread on this long ago and far away, but I'd like a few more suggestions as well.)
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

You should consider tunes by Turlough O'Carolan - it's quite common to play his music at weddings - Carolan's Concerto is nice (although a bit long). If you're looking for a source for his music, the Chieftains regularly play his pieces.

One little tip I recently learned from a discussion on the Uilleann Pipes forum, be sure to ask the priest/pastor/minister, etc., of the church if he (or she) is happy with 'secular' music being played. 99.9% of the time they don't seem to mind, but occasionally they do. It best to check well in advance.

Good luck with the wedding.
PJ
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Hewlett as a recessional- done at my wedding (back when there was empty land in Orange county)
JimmyCarbomb

Post by JimmyCarbomb »

I guess that all depends on whether it's the Ceremony or the Reception.

Our ceremony (three weeks ago) had NO music, and was traditionally Celtic. It was a mix of Scottish and Irish traditions with no church. We were "piped-in" by two of my band mates, and piped-out. That's it for the music until the "reception".

In lieu of the traditional American "DJ and a big Cake" reception, we chose to hold it at a very nice Irish establishment which served Irish cuisine and drink. We even stated on the invitations that guests were invited to our wedding ceremony and an "Irish Hooley" afterwards. It was the GREATEST wedding that I had ever been to, and was apparently the best that the majority of the guests had attended too. Barleyjuice performed the music along with members from the Stone Soup band. Halfway through, we had a group of Irish stepdancers come in with their CDs and hard shoes. What a draw THAT was! Cuisine was Guinness stew and Jameson chicken. The music just reflected the mood and happiness that the Hooley was trying to portray!

The bride and her father danced to "Sally Garden".

Someone requested "Danny Boy" until I told them that it was a song about DEATH. I guess some folks just don't know that there are lyrics with the tunes. :boggle:
Barleyjuice Website
Member of the Tartan Authority
Member of Noraid
Certified Kiltmaker
Danner

Post by Danner »

I think just about any lilting air or slow waltz would be pretty. I know a fiddler and a cello player who play Si Bheag Si Mhor (or however you like to spell it) at a lot of weddings. BTW- I think I would not want to get married by a priets/pastor/whoever who did not approve of Irish trad music.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

JimmyCarbomb wrote: Someone requested "Danny Boy" until I told them that it was a song about DEATH.
Also, that is a good way to avoid having to play it without insulting your guests.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
JimmyCarbomb

Post by JimmyCarbomb »

Danner wrote:BTW- I think I would not want to get married by a priets/pastor/whoever who did not approve of Irish trad music.
Hear, hear!!! :wink:
fluti31415 wrote:Also, that is a good way to avoid having to play it without insulting your guests.
I don't mind playing it (normally) when it fits with the flow of the set or concert that we're doing. It gets to the point where it's as annoying as someone yelling out "FREE BIRD"!!!

I have a LOAD more excuses to deflect the requests, and they're all quite pleasant. I usually only need to use them after 1:00am. :lol:
Barleyjuice Website
Member of the Tartan Authority
Member of Noraid
Certified Kiltmaker
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

off the top of my head...
Give Me Your Hand
She Left a Star
Star of the Couty Down
Battle of Aughrim
Kerry Slide
Waves of Kilkee
Haste to the Wedding
The Wedding Reel
The Honeymoon Reel
A Thousand Pipers
Her Mantle So Green
Boney Crossing the Alps
Bill O'Malley's Barndance
Be Thou My Vision (don't know the name of the tune)
Fair Jenny's Jig
The Queen of Connemara

Use the more lyrical stuff as prelude music, and play dance tunes for the postlude.
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

I had thought of using some O'Carolan tunes, but I didn''t know which ones. I'd thought about Her Mantle so green, too. I think it's a very pretty tune. Salley Garden doesn't strike me as the happiest tune for a wedding, just for the words.

Thank you, everyone. You've all given me lots of good suggestions. Now I just have to figure something out. :)

Oh, and if anyone could suggest something good to substitute for the wedding march it would be ever so nice. :)
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

lilymaid wrote:Oh, and if anyone could suggest something good to substitute for the wedding march it would be ever so nice. :)
Maybe a bit ambitious but 'Newfoundland' by Shaun Davey, from the Brendan Voyage suite has always been a favourite of mine. You can listen to a clip of it here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... c&n=507846

All you need is Liam O'Flynn and a concert orchestra :wink:
JimmyCarbomb wrote:Someone requested "Danny Boy" until I told them that it was a song about DEATH. I guess some folks just don't know that there are lyrics with the tunes.
I occasionally get requests for Danny Boy. I tell them I don't know the tune, but I do know the Derry Air. That usually gets them :lol: :lol:
PJ
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

fel bautista wrote:Hewlett as a recessional- done at my wedding (back when there was empty land in Orange county)
Apparently my sister and my wife conspired yesterday and now my wife and I are supposed to play this for my sister's wedding in three weeks. Guess I'll have to get busy and learn the tune...

We didn't do anything "Celtic" for our ceremony, but we had Finvarra's Wren play for dancing at the reception. At about 10PM a massive session broke out upstairs. I co-opted them to premiere The Platinum Ring, and then Jen and I joined in the music for a bit. (Come to think of it, my little picture over there to the left is from then.) We were finally piped out of the building at about 12:30, but I'm told the die hards kept playing until 4AM.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Don't the Chieftans have an album called the Wedding Album? I think so. That may have some good stuff on it.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

The Star above the Carter
The Holy Ground
Fasten the Leg on Her

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

fel bautista wrote:Hewlett as a recessional- done at my wedding (back when there was empty land in Orange county)
That's a gorgeous, gorgeous tune. Thank you for recommending it.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Congratulations!! :party: