I need a passport, some money and what else?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

I need a passport, some money and what else?

Post by Brian Lee »

Yep. gonna do it I think. i've got a chance to take a few days and visit Ireland with a friend for a screamin deal! Trouble is, i 've never traveled abroad anyplace that required a passport or any of this official sort of stuff. Any of yous guys know what's needed, how much it costs, and how long it takes to get "clearance" to travel overseas?

I found the passport application online, but am not sure if I need more than that to get the ball rolling and get all leagal and stuff. :)

Thanks.
OutOfBreath
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OutOfBreath »

Normally it takes several weeks. Some post offices have passport offices that can help you get the ball rolling, but the passport will still have to come from a regional center. Back in '96 I had to travel overseas suddenly and was able to get my passport in one day by appearing in person at the regional office in Houston (or was it Austin?), TX with a certified copy of my birth certificate and a driver's license. This is not a recommended practice, BTW, I wasted an entire day in the office, not counting the travel time to and from.

Of course, since 9/11 it's probably harder to get a passport...
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

I hear that all you really need to get along well in Europe is a backpack with a red Maple Leaf on it!Image :D
A Tim Horton's travel mug clipped to it is considered mandatory for all those who really want to pass as Canadians!

Paul

P.S. I'm just kidding. I'm sure you will LOVE Ireland. It's been several years since I've been there, but my wife surpised me the other day and suggested we go this summer!!! WOO HOO! See you there maybe!!!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

The above link (and a further link on the site) explains what you need to do and where you need to go to get a passport. I applied for mine in September of 2002 and had it in hand by Thanksgiving. Passport fees are currently $97. You'll have to apply in person but many post offices are also passport application offices - I went to one in Boise. The site will tell you where to go.

You will not need a visa to go to Ireland - tourists from the US are allowed in for 90 days without a visa. When you get to immigration tell them you are there on holiday. Don't do like I did and say you were going to take classes - they equate that with a student visa. I still got in once I explained it but I got a funny look.

You will need to contact your bank/credit card/etc and let them know that you will be overseas (tell them the time frame) and you want to be able to use your funds over there. If your pin number is not four digits (sometimes it's six) you will want to change it to a four digit one as some European machines only accept 4-digit pins.

You will need to inform me of where you're planning to be and when so I can see if I can pop over for a weekend! Alternatively if you and your friend are interested in seeing London for a few days I'm sure I can be of assistance.

And Bri - Congratulations!! Write me with details, yeah? :)
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

avanutria wrote:You will not need a visa to go to Ireland - tourists from the US are allowed in for 90 days without a visa. When you get to immigration tell them you are there on holiday. Don't do like I did and say you were going to take classes - they equate that with a student visa. I still got in once I explained it but I got a funny look.
One slight precision. If you have any criminal convictions (excluding minor stuff like speeding tickets), you will need a visa - Get in touch with the nearest Irish Consulate if this is the case. Otherwise Avanutria is perfectly correct.
avanutria wrote:If your pin number is not four digits (sometimes it's six) you will want to change it to a four digit one as some European machines only accept 4-digit pins.
Most Irish banks (the big ones anyway) are aligned with the Cirrus system. I think that requires at least a 5 digit PIN. It allows you to use your ATM card (provided your own bank is in Cirrus).

Enjoy the trip (you lucky b"/$%"?)
PJ
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

I didn't know cards with more than 4 digit pin numbers existed.

What everyone else said. You don't want to be carrying around too many Euros so a bank card is a must. That can get expensive though, so when we went, anything that could went on a credit card, it was very helpful. How do you plan on travelling? Bus, rail, car? And what is this 'screamin' deal of which you speak?
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

As far as getting around once you get there, I've always found the "Lonely Planet" travel guides to be very good. Haven't had occasion to use one for the past 10 years, though, so they may have changed.

Oh ... and bring a towel, as recommended in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". :wink:
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

LisaD wrote:As far as getting around once you get there, I've always found the "Lonely Planet" travel guides to be very good. Haven't had occasion to use one for the past 10 years, though, so they may have changed.
Lonely Planet guides are still quite good. I used the one for London two summers ago and it was wonderful, even down to silly back alley attractions, like Keats' house. They can be a bit pessimistic, but that's better than overly optimistic, when it comes to travel guides.