Posting Policies: Civility

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jGilder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jGilder »

Darwin wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:
dapple wrote:People who are driven by ideological positions that they cannot reasonably support often rely upon flaming and malice, which indicates that their positions are flawed.

Just a few C&F members seem so driven that they have surrendered their ability to listen to a need to repetitiously beat their ideological drum, and a little bit of that, like habanera sauce on a meal, can overwhelm a debate among a small group of people. For me, that takes the enjoyment and benefit out of debate.
I agree with this, but with one clarification:

This dynamic seems to include some people who actually CAN reasonably support their positions, but who are shooting themselves in the foot by driving away those who would otherwise be interested in what they have to say.
I agree :thumbsup: --unless you're referring to me, in which case I am terribly insulted... :x
Darwin’s contribution at the end here is key, actually. It's easy to be the observer and offer your advice, but if you're in the hot seat -- the view, (even for the ones with the "advice,") is quite different.

From the short time I've been on this board I've seen both good and bad, (or questionable,) behavior out of more than a few people, and the difference seems to have everything to do with perspective. For this reason it is often the case that the sage advice being offered can be tainted from past perspectives that might have been uncomfortable for the advisor.

The bottom line is that ultimately we are all responsible for our own behavior on this board and we can't expect the moderator to fix everything for us. I think everyone here knows in their heart of hearts when they themselves have crossed the line of civility, but it gets murky when we turn to judge others about whether or not they have. This is where the moderator faces his or her biggest challenge. It’s also why few of us are qualified for the task.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Wombat wrote:
rama wrote:

if moderators are not experiencing a state of reasonableness themsleves, we are subjected to unreasonable moderation.

Can't fault the logic in that. But, did someone suggest otherwise?
yes
Wombat wrote:
In any event, so what? It's their board.

does not matter to me if it's their board. that has nothing to do with moderating a discussion. there is nothing reasonble about that logic. are you defending " it's their board they do as they please and i am all for it. " ?? i for one am not. do you see that as responsible way of moderating wombat?
also, why have a posting policy expecting or asking people to be reasonable if the moderators can't be?
rama wrote: if moderators participate in froum discussions that are beyond their own comprehension, then they hopefully realize they are treading on thin ice.
Really? Were you proposing to ban them from moderation?
not proposing banning moderators, not at all, don't see any reason to.
i would like to see moderators not interfere, be responsible, simply moderate and stick to that, and stay out of the way, they have no business 'interfering' in discussions if they cannot participate by the same posting policy as everyon else. they do have a role to moderate and insure the posting polcy is understood and that we all abide by them. i say that to draw the distinction between the two (interfere/moderate). i understand most people probably disagree with me and would rather have the moderaors impose their will as they see fit and rely on trust of the moderator, and merely hoping the decision they make, benefits them. kiss some ass , get on the good side of a moderator and you are golden is not for me.
leave their personal biases out of the moderation proceess, as best as they can - granted sometimes mistakes get made. there is a difference between imposing one's will thru the powers of moderation and responsible moderation on behalf of the posters who abide by the posting policy. being civil involves more than appeasing the moderators

there are some set of unclear rules people refer to as 'dale's rules', not sure what they are, and then there is the posting policy. i choose to follow the posting policy over this set of unclear rules that people refer to as 'dale's rules'. i am not sure this dale individual even knows what they are. so how can they be applied or understood?
Paul

Post by Paul »

dapple wrote:Just a few C&F members seem so driven that they have surrendered their ability to listen to a need to repetitiously beat their ideological drum.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

rama wrote:
i would like to see moderators not interfere, be responsible, simply moderate and stick to that, and stay out of the way, they have no business 'interfering' in discussions if they cannot participate by the same posting policy as everyon else.
That would be one hell of a trick.. :-? :-?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

The Weekenders wrote:
? wrote: feelings of insult do not prove insult, without prodf of insult. we actually choose to be insulted , as we actually 'take' the insult (instead of refusing it). there is a choice here which our emotions can mask. therefore rpp applies to self only, if the full implication is to be appreciated. if 'self' attempts to apply it to the perceived perpetrator of the insult (the other self), then 'self' is blaming others. and 'self' ends up just blaming others for the misunderstanding that 'self ' created. it is a great paradox. that is why it is profound, i 'd say.
I actually got this one though. Funny how the ego can be like a piece of territory. If you distance yourself from everyone, you don't get into intense exchanges on any given topic (your snow cave in the Himalayas is ready, sir). But if you do engage, your sense of commitment to the exchange itself results in standing on a piece of turf so to speak. The perceived insult damages the ground you stand on to argue a point.

If some kind of agreed upon truth or evolving knowledge is the objective of a thread, unreasonable behavior dissolves the possibility of finding that truth. So even though one can philosophize about repelling insult, the insulting behavior has still taken place and still undermined the entire thread. At this point, personal removal is indicated. Which I have done.

Having raised the issue of civility and discourse this week I will re-iterate: I have learned a great deal from those whose political opinions I don't share on this very Forum (well, the old CF one, mostly). But in every case, the learning was coming from a logical examination of given stances etc. and an appeal to better natures to be reasonable and not explosively personal, consciously or unwittingly.
i know you think you got it. and you almost did get it all correct. can you see where you are off? i will leave that up to you to figure out.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

dubhlinn wrote:
rama wrote:
i would like to see moderators not interfere, be responsible, simply moderate and stick to that, and stay out of the way, they have no business 'interfering' in discussions if they cannot participate by the same posting policy as everyon else.

Slan,
D.
... What D said... one hell of a trick. As far as stepping in, it is part of the job, sometimes because of two reasons ... Law + Suit. The owner of this board is ultimately responsible for its content (or so I assume), and the last thing they would like to engage in (or so I assume again) is a lengthy, costly and unwanted lawsuit.

To the best of my knowledge, I have yet to see an example where a Moderator has been afoul of the boards' policies. And they DO have every business 'interfering' in discussions where they feel the need to 'fix things'. Again, we as forum participants have to abide by the rules. C&F is not 'America', it is 'privately owned' (as I understand it by a Canadian resident) and therefore not really subject to the US Bill of Rights.

edited to add 'Canada' reference and a space. :D
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Sat May 14, 2005 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paul

Post by Paul »

rama wrote:
:boggle: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
emmline

Post by emmline »

dubhlinn wrote:
rama wrote:

Slan,
D.
Additionally, it would make things a lot more boring around here. I rather like our moderators and their personalities.(Of course, I may be treading on thin ice...IQ not quite up to snuff and all.)
rama

Post by rama »

emmline wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:
rama wrote:

Slan,
D.
Additionally, it would make things a lot more boring around here. I rather like our moderators and their personalities.(Of course, I may be treading on thin ice...IQ not quite up to snuff and all.)
i like moderators and i like personalities too. i also like disussing things to keep it interesting. i guess the difference is that i see sarcasm as i sign of weakness. weak people generally gang up and pound with sarcasm, try being reasoanble for a change you might not seem so boring.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Ouch. Weak, boring, and dumb.
Rama...sorry you feel ganged up on.
Last edited by emmline on Sat May 14, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I actually used to really like to beat my ideological drum....but I beat it too hard once and now it's broken.

:P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
rama

Post by rama »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:
rama wrote:

Slan,
D.
... What D said... one hell of a trick. As far as stepping in, it is part of the job, sometimes because of two reasons ... Law + Suit. The owner of this board is ultimately responsible for its content (or so I assume), and the last thing they would like to engage in (or so I assume again) is a lengthy, costly and unwanted lawsuit.

To the best of my knowledge, I have yet to see an example where a Moderator has been afoul of the boards' policies. And they DO have every business 'interfering' in discussions where they feel the need to 'fix things'. Again, we as forum participants have to abide by the rules. C&F is not 'America', it is 'privately owned' and therefore not really subject to the US Bill of Rights.
i think you may have slightly misunderstood or i was not clear about what i meant. fixing a posting policy problem is one thing i find agreable, interfering is a different matter.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

rama wrote:
i think you may have slightly misunderstood or i was not clear about what i meant. fixing a posting policy problem is one thing i find agreable, interfering is a different matter.
I guess I did misunderstand you. But, would you clarify what you mean by 'interfering'?
rama

Post by rama »

izzarina wrote:I actually used to really like to beat my ideological drum....but I beat it too hard once and now it's broken.

:P
find the right drum , beat it with awareness, not hardness and it won't break
rama

Post by rama »

The Weekenders wrote:Ommmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm