Things that make you go "Hmm...."

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Things that make you go "Hmm...."

Post by The Weekenders »

Hitting the empty trash command and seeing 1,900 items deleted and wondering what the hell was in the trash anyway? :boggle:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

plus, I always notice I need something right after I deleted the whole pile.
That happens with catalogs too.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Things that make you go "Hmm...."

Post by anniemcu »

The Weekenders wrote:Hitting the empty trash command and seeing 1,900 items deleted and wondering what the hell was in the trash anyway? :boggle:
You need a new window washer, Weeks! :o
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

When I see cars with "support our troops" stickers. I never did understand why just about everybody has those, or what they really meant. In fact, I don't think most people who have them even know what they're supposed to mean.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Cranberry wrote:When I see cars with "support our troops" stickers. I never did understand why just about everybody has those, or what they really meant. In fact, I don't think most people who have them even know what they're supposed to mean.
Well... *mine* means... "Bring them home ASAP!"

I think supporting them is essential, but it also means speaking out against seeing their lives endangered, maimed or lost for an illegal war such as this one.
anniemcu
---
---
---
Jack

Post by Jack »

anniemcu wrote:
Cranberry wrote:When I see cars with "support our troops" stickers. I never did understand why just about everybody has those, or what they really meant. In fact, I don't think most people who have them even know what they're supposed to mean.
Well... *mine* means... "Bring them home ASAP!"

I think supporting them is essential, but it also means speaking out against seeing their lives endangered, maimed or lost for an illegal war such as this one.
What exactly constitutes "supporting them," though? Does it mean sending money, or something like that, or just believing they should be there?

The whole "support" part has always seemed so vague to me that it could pretty much mean any thing to any person. It seems that people put those stickers on their automobiles for reasons other than supporting their troops, but they generally don't know the reason any more than I do.
missy

Post by missy »

I had a "support our troops" ribbon on my car (if was stolen)....

Mine was bought from a local group that was collecting funds to send care packages to the troops stationed in Kuwait and Iraq. Things like sanitary wipes, sunscreen, lip balm, reading material, gatorade power, etc.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I saw a bumbper sticker last week that read: 'If you're close enough to read this... you've just become a target'. Needless to say, I backed off a bit. :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

Also, I think it means that since most of them are enlisted with the belief that they're doing the right thing by serving the country, that--regardless of how you feel about this war--let's not make the troops themselves feel like we hate them since a lot of Vietnam vets ended up feeling that way.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

The one that gets me is the bumper stickers that say "Drive Carefully-- Children on Board" (or show dogs on board, etc).

Like, "Oh, damn, I was hoping to drive recklessly today, and now I can't because these people have children in their car!"

:roll:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
emmline

Post by emmline »

brewerpaul wrote: The one that gets me is the bumper stickers that say "Drive Carefully-- Children on Board" (or show dogs on board, etc).

Like, "Oh, damn, I was hoping to drive recklessly today, and now I can't because these people have children in their car!"

:roll:
I know, it's a little strange that people suppose that might make a difference...but otoh maybe it does make the occasional person, who might otherwise be a rude tailgater, be less of a boor toward you.
I wonder the same thing about the roadside crosses/memorials that have become so common--at least around here. I find them a little strange, but at the same time, maybe someone, who needs a dose of fear of mortality, gets it at just the right time.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

emmline wrote:
Also, I think it means that since most of them are enlisted with the belief that they're doing the right thing by serving the country, that--regardless of how you feel about this war--let's not make the troops themselves feel like we hate them since a lot of Vietnam vets ended up feeling that way.
Precisely.
anniemcu
---
---
---
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Y'know the plastic wristbands everyone is wearing thses days?

On the counter at my local chain pharmacy outlet was a display of packages of three bands each in bright red, white and blue. Every package proclaimed "SUPPORT OUR CONTRY".

Every wristband was stamped "Made in China".
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Denny

Post by Denny »

Chuck_Clark wrote:Y'know the plastic wristbands everyone is wearing thses days?

On the counter at my local chain pharmacy outlet was a display of packages of three bands each in bright red, white and blue. Every package proclaimed "SUPPORT OUR CONTRY".

Every wristband was stamped "Made in China".
...it gets confusing, no?
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I had an English professor.

He held up a pencil and asked "What is this?"

After a bit, someone said "A pencil". He said "No."

Someone else tried "Well, it's that thing. That object you are holding." He said "Close."

Finally he explained: "'Pencil' is a symbol. The symbol is not the object. But everything is a symbol. How can we really know something? The thing you are seeing is also a symbol, because the light entering your eyes is merely a reflection of the object. The image then, is also not the object."

I thought "Hmm..."