"Magical Thinking"--sharing a bit of my craziness

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

don't think there's anything to telekinesis, precognition, etc. No testable mechanism has ever been suggested, and when we rely on anecdotal evidence, we can't distinguish mere coincidence from causation.
[my emphasis]

Actually, there have been a great many "traditional," scientific, non-anecdotal experiments regarding PSI phenomenon. Dean Radin is the latest in a fairly long line of academic researchers who have tackled the subject.

The general idea in many of the experiments is to simply predict some random event with a discrete range of possible outcomes. FOr instance, guessing which card will be selected by random process out of four possible options. Over enough trials, researchers claim that subjects will correctly to a greater degree then would be predicted by random probability. Results are even more apparent when subjects (guessers) are placed into sensory deprivation tanks when they perform the experiments.

The best experiments have been double-blind, and have withstood a great deal of scrutiny by debunkers as to their experimental rigor.

Do I buy it? I dunno. But the research is out there.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Great topic! I remember as a very young child I could fly. Not like Superman mind you. I would reach out with my mind and kind of push off the ground. I could float around upright, at a walking pace, with my feet a few inches off the ground. Or perhaps my imagination just imprinted a different story over the reality. I've heard it happens to people who work in the White House too. :roll:

Then there's the oddity of long life watch batteries - when in my watches. I understand that batteries are supposed to last about a year. I had a quartz Seiko for about 7 years for which I never changed the battery. I replaced the watch finally because I was buying a new leather band every four months - probably four times as much money was spent on bands as was spent on the watch. My current quartz Tag Heuer is 11 years old, and I just replaced the battery a second time last month.

I guess we all have a little magic in us in one way or another. :)
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Wormdiet wrote:
don't think there's anything to telekinesis, precognition, etc. No testable mechanism has ever been suggested, and when we rely on anecdotal evidence, we can't distinguish mere coincidence from causation.
[my emphasis]

Actually, there have been a great many "traditional," scientific, non-anecdotal experiments regarding PSI phenomenon. Dean Radin is the latest in a fairly long line of academic researchers who have tackled the subject.

The general idea in many of the experiments is to simply predict some random event with a discrete range of possible outcomes. FOr instance, guessing which card will be selected by random process out of four possible options. Over enough trials, researchers claim that subjects will correctly to a greater degree then would be predicted by random probability. Results are even more apparent when subjects (guessers) are placed into sensory deprivation tanks when they perform the experiments.

The best experiments have been double-blind, and have withstood a great deal of scrutiny by debunkers as to their experimental rigor.

Do I buy it? I dunno. But the research is out there.
You might enjoy reading through Is There A Scientific Basis for Parapsychology?. Note that there are a couple of posts by Dean Radin.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

[quote="dfernandez77"].

I guess we all have a little magic in us in one way or another. :)[/quote]

YES! and we are being taught to forget that because "it's part of the imagination" and to grow up............
but we ALL can do magic, STILL.........believe it at heart and work together with that little kid which will always be part of you no matter how grown up we are.
it's part of your personality (even jung believed so) which makes you who you are (higher, lower and middle self).

open your heart and believe :)
greetings
berti
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Holy Deja Vu Berti!

I read my quote and your post; I realized I'd addressed this in a bit of prose 10 years ago. *ruffling through archived files*

"We are Taught"

We are born into this life as natural and right beings of emotion and intuition. Then we are taught.

We are taught "good" and "bad."
We are taught limitations and weaknesses.
We are taught to be rational and commercial.

We are taught to be, what we are not.

Guided by emotion and intuition, we will be on a natural path of rightness — though it will not always meet other’s expectations, and will never satisfy everyone’s desires.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

so true.......

berti
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

defernandez77 - Nice work. I agree.

I don't doubt we've all had experiences that defy reason and we are trained to dismiss them.

Like Jerry my wife has a terrible time with electronic gizmos. She can try to install software and it will fail for some reason then I can sit down and install without a problem.

The night my brother-in-law (aka best friend) was killed I had a dream where I was visited by another good friend who had died 7 years earlier. It was one of those TOO lifelike dreams. She was glowing and dressed in white. She kept saying, "It'll be alright. Everything will be OK." I kept saying. "I thought you were dead, what are you doing here? Does your husband and son know your alive?"
She smiles so sweetly and serenly, "I'm not alive. Everything will be OK."
I was crying and she put my head in her lap and repeated, "Everything will be OK."

I finally bolted awake and ran to the livingroom to look up her husband's phone number because I knew something was very wrong. What I didn't know was that the problem didn't concern her surviving family. Within about 15 minutes of waking up there came a loud pounding on my front door. My sister, with "the news".
"Mitch has been shot."
"Oh s**t! Where is he?"
"There's no easy way to say this so I'll say it plain. He's dead."

About two weeks after the funeral I had another dream where Mitch showed up and showed me where he'd been shot. He was really angry and I was freaking out and kept telling him to go back. That he didn't belong here anymore. He tried to punch me because he didn't want to "go back" but he couldn't because he was a ghost. I woke up screaming and choking.
That was a little stressful.

I've often wondered about that first dream though.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Rick

Post by Rick »

http://www.whatthebleep.com/

true? who knows...
interesting? yup!

quantum physics meets psychology? :boggle:
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Flyingcursor wrote:defernandez77 - Nice work. I agree.

I don't doubt we've all had experiences that defy reason and we are trained to dismiss them.

Like Jerry my wife has a terrible time with electronic gizmos. She can try to install software and it will fail for some reason then I can sit down and install without a problem.

The night my brother-in-law (aka best friend) was killed I had a dream where I was visited by another good friend who had died 7 years earlier. It was one of those TOO lifelike dreams. She was glowing and dressed in white. She kept saying, "It'll be alright. Everything will be OK." I kept saying. "I thought you were dead, what are you doing here? Does your husband and son know your alive?"
She smiles so sweetly and serenly, "I'm not alive. Everything will be OK."
I was crying and she put my head in her lap and repeated, "Everything will be OK."

I finally bolted awake and ran to the livingroom to look up her husband's phone number because I knew something was very wrong. What I didn't know was that the problem didn't concern her surviving family. Within about 15 minutes of waking up there came a loud pounding on my front door. My sister, with "the news".
"Mitch has been shot."
"Oh s**t! Where is he?"
"There's no easy way to say this so I'll say it plain. He's dead."

About two weeks after the funeral I had another dream where Mitch showed up and showed me where he'd been shot. He was really angry and I was freaking out and kept telling him to go back. That he didn't belong here anymore. He tried to punch me because he didn't want to "go back" but he couldn't because he was a ghost. I woke up screaming and choking.
That was a little stressful.

I've often wondered about that first dream though.
Your post encourages me to share this. As a songwriter, I KNOW that my best ideas come from a greater consciousness. I know that I have to be open and receptive to it. A friend of mine committed suicide after a long struggle with bipolar disorder. The day after I receive the news, I write the following song in the space of a few minutes. Of of the 100+ songs I've written, it is among my best.

I changed my avatar to the photo I took after writing the song. It is of the sun hiding behind the cloud above and shining a spot of light on the ocean below. It is an uncommon event.

I interpret the sequence of events as a message from my friend from the other side, that it is okay on the other side. My friend was raised Catholic, and that belief system condemns suicide. I performed the song at the memorial service and gave the surviving family a copy of the photograph and printed lyrics to the song. It gave them a measure of peace.

Light on the Ocean

Some days, its too heavy,
Some nights, its too dark
Some days, I want to fade away,
Some nights, I fall apart

My friend, dear friend, look out on the ocean,
My friend, dear friend, gaze upon the sea.
and you’ll see a light on the ocean,
and feel the calm of the waves,
when you see a light on the ocean,
you'll know everything's okay.

When you see a light on the ocean,

Some day, I’ll reach for heaven
Some night, I’ll touch the sky
Some days, you’ll remember
Some nights, you’ll wonder why

Some days...
Some nights...
/ whistle solo /

When you feel the calm of the waves,

-end-
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I used to communicate with my pet cat as a child. I would concentrate really hard on a particular thought or wish, and the cat would do it... like: come here kitty and the cat would come to me. I remember being very pleased with myself. I tried to do it with a neighbors mean old dog... like: don't bite me nice doggie but it didn't work. I remember being quite crestfallen... and sore. :(
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

That's a cute picture of your dog. :lol:
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Form follows thought. The Principle of Mentalism- All is Mind.

I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that I fully believe that we can shift our reality by shifting our thoughts. ;)
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Denny

Post by Denny »

I didn't think that reality existed...

Would you be so kind as to define reality?

Thanks,
Denny
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Denny wrote:I didn't think that reality existed...

Would you be so kind as to define reality?

Thanks,
Denny

Because it words it better than I could, from The Kybalion, The Three Initiates:
"Under, and back of, the Universe of Time, Space and Change, is ever to be found The Substantial Reality --the Fundamental Truth." -- The Kybalion

"Substance" means: "that which underlies all outward manifestations; the essence; the essential reality; the thing in itself," etc. "Substantial" means: "actually existing; being the essential element; being real," etc. "Reality" means:" the state of being real; true, enduring; valid; fixed; permanent; actual," etc.

Under and behind all outward appearances or manifestations, there must always be a Substantial Reality. This is the Law. Man considering the Universe, of which he is a unit, sees nothing but change in matter, forces, and mental states. He sees that nothing really IS, but that everything is BECOMING and CHANGING. Nothing stands still-everything is being born, growing, dying-the very instant a thing reaches its height, it begins to decline-the law of rhythm is in constant operation -there is no reality, enduring quality, fixity, or substantiality in anything- nothing is permanent but Change. He sees all things evolving from other things, and resolving into other things-a constant action and reaction; inflow and outflow; building up and tearing down; creation and destruction; birth, growth and death. Nothing endures but Change. And if he be a thinking man, he realizes that all of these changing things must be but outward appearances or manifestations of some Underlying Power-some Substantial Reality.

All thinkers, in all lands and in all times, have assumed the necessity for postulating the existence of this Substantial Reality. All philosophies worthy of the name have been based upon this thought. Men have given to this Substantial Reality many names-some have called it by the term of Deity (under many titles). Others have called it "The Infinite and Eternal Energy" others have tried to call it "Matter"-but all have acknowledged its existence. It is self-evident it needs no argument.

(Edited to add: This is what I meant when I said "reality". :))
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Denny

Post by Denny »

Ah, that one!

The problem, as I see it, is that it is too often limited to one person's perception of it at that time.

Compounded by expressing it in words...